Fans who have traveled to Ireland...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
Any suggestions as to the "must sees" in Dublin while I'm there ? I'll likely only be there for a day or so, so I want to make the best of it. Any suggestions are welcome!

My parents were born there and both my bros have gone back so I go there every now and then......

So Temple bar a definite try to stay there so your walking distance from everything. Or if you're me staggering distance.

You only seeing dublin? You should hire a car and drive around ireland for at least a week!

we'll be there for ten days, flying into shannon and out of dublin, so we'll be there at the end of our trip!! :D We have a car and a book of vouchers, a go as you please thing...

hotel recommendations would be helpful too.... :D

Me and my wife always stay in little Bed and breakfasts in ireland and england. They're in every village cost around 60 pounds. Since its not the high season you probably don't even have to book.

My memories of dublin on each visit.

smoky pubs, singing loudly with irish traditional music, my relatives getting me drunk with guiness (i don't even like it!), my wife being embarrased, waking up feeling rotten and DOING IT ALL OVER AGAIN!
:wink:

STaggering distance is a great idea, seeing as how me and my husband like to drink... :D Has anyone actually stayed in the Clarence Hotel before? We've got tons of vouchers for B&Bs for all the nights, but we were thinking we may upgrade while in Dublin, especially our last night!

Thanks for eveyone's help so far!

I went to Ireland, but I'd say 10% of my time was related to U2, the other 90% was just checking Dublin out, getting lost ;), went out to Galway for one day.

It's sooooo pretty there.

As i am from Ireland originally, very much depends on what you want to see or experience.

Dublin isn't a true representation of Ireland - like any city in any country. Its a smaller version of most other cities with not much to do bar spending times in pubs etc - which is great in itself!

If you want to feel true Irish vibe, your better off spending time in Galway, or for a rural feel, head to places like Mayo/Donegal/Kerry etc where true Irishness hasn't been compromised, unlike Dublin which is so touristy, most Irish people I know stay away from it.

Party Boy said:
As i am from Ireland originally, very much depends on what you want to see or experience.

Dublin isn't a true representation of Ireland - like any city in any country. Its a smaller version of most other cities with not much to do bar spending times in pubs etc - which is great in itself!

If you want to feel true Irish vibe, your better off spending time in Galway, or for a rural feel, head to places like Mayo/Donegal/Kerry etc where true Irishness hasn't been compromised, unlike Dublin which is so touristy, most Irish people I know stay away from it.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!!

I dont think I explained myself really with my original request.... what I mean is, while the majority of my time will be spent elsewhere in the country (visiting relatives, sightseeing etc...) - I'm just looking for suggestions as to what the "must sees" may be in Dublin, as a U2 fan. I wont have much time there, but I would like to see a few things if possible!

She ls Raging said:

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!!

I dont think I explained myself really with my original request.... what I mean is, while the majority of my time will be spent elsewhere in the country (visiting relatives, sightseeing etc...) - I'm just looking for suggestions as to what the "must sees" may be in Dublin, as a U2 fan. I wont have much time there, but I would like to see a few things if possible!

Ah ok, well, Trinity college - Book of Kells is quite impressive, tour of Guinness Factory at James Gate is def worthwhile too. As a U2 fan, obvious places are Clarance Hotel, Kitchen Night club (if its still going?), Temple Bar, Smithfield Market, Lillie Bordello's (where Bono etc usually end up in early hours!

When I was in Ireland I unfortunately didn't have time to do all the U2 related things I wanted too. Although, just about everyone I met in Dublin had some sort of a U2 experience. Which was great! So, My advice is duck into a pub and have a pint and you will hear some great stories about the band.

I fell in love with Ireland when I was there, and I can't wait to go back! The people were just so nice.

I was lucky enough to get to the Dockers last year, so it came as a bit of a shock to me to find out it's closed now. I had a couple of friends going to Dublin this year, and I told them it's a MUST to visit it, so they came back complaining I directed them to a non-existing place. It was really great, I used to sit there for hours, no big crowds like in Temple Bar, beer definitely cheaper, and the feeling of being in a place where U2 go themselves. The funniest thing was the Ladies' loo, written all over in messages to Bono and the rest, as if they by habit frequented the cubicles :eyebrow: Thank God I took the pictures, I doubt the new decor will keep all the scribblings.

Clarence Hotel, The Temple Bar, Temple Bar Square, Guinness Factory, Grafton St., St. Steven's Green, U2's Studio :) , Your best bet would also to take the bus tours. They're really good and you can get on and off at the stops and sightsee for awhile

word of warning though - temple bar is hell on weekend evenings - it gets inundated with drunken stag and hen parties and you can barely move in the streets let alone the pubs

It's not so bad at this time of year as it is in the summer, but it still gets on my tits :)

oh, and if you have got some spare cash at the end of your trip, I can definitely recommend dinner in the Tea Rooms at the Clarence. The food is fabulous. Have the Creme Brulee!!! :drool:

the Octagon Bar is fab too. Their Long Island Iced Teas are pricey but well worth it :drunk:

Oh yes definitely :drool:

*wishes she had some now*

2 times we were there we got free hot hors D'ouevres...I don't remember what they were but they were delicious :D

I do regret not having eating at the tea room tho

Ok...here's the lowdown on the U2 related "must-see's" in Dublin (all very easily seen in one day, but obviously better the more time you spend):
1. Windmill Lane (the old one) - the ONE site I think every U2 fan must see in Dublin...check out all the related messages on the wall; bring a portable Cd player and pop in Boy-War while there and soak it in.
2. Hanover Quay - with the band rehearsing you might catch a glimpse; plus it's going bye, bye soon (see above suggestion only supplant Boy-War; with Pop-ATYCLB)
3. Bonavox Hearing Aid Store - See where Bono got his name.
4. Project Arts Center - In the middle of the Temple Bar district this is the place where U2 had it's earliest shows and where Mr. Paul McGuiness first saw the band. If you have more powers of persuasion than I do you may be able to convince the person at the desk to give you a glimpse.
5. The Baggot Inn - Early venue (not sure if it's still there; it was in the middle of a remodel/demolition when I was there.
6. The Post Office - The main Dublin Post office on the main street; Bono's dad worked here and it's of HUGE national historical import; site of the 1916 rebellion which directly led to the Irish state as it is today, if I'm not mistaken.

That's what I would suggest. I think that would be easily done in a day (all within walking distance), but like I said, it's always better to have more time. Like someone else suggested, the dublin tour on www.atu2.com can give you specific locations of these sites.

In addition, if you have tons of free time, take a trip to Ballymun and see the 7 towers (although there might only be six now ... plans to demolish them all), - Running To Stand Still mentions these towers...

Has an unfair rap for being a slightly dodgy place - its fine if you want to look around.

Take a stroll over Ha'penny bridge - many pictures of U2 taking a stroll over this bridge.

As for pubs... as its Dublin, you got about 2000 to choose from!

Don't know if you have enough money to spend on a night's stay at The Clarence, but when we went we stayed at Hotel Blooms, which is right in Temple Bar, and the Aston, just outside of Temple Bar. The location for both was great, walking distance from pretty much all the must-sees--The Clarence, Trinity, BonoVox store, St. Partick's, Christ Church, etc.

Are you sure The Kitchen is closed? I think it's still in operation. Doesn't open until very late, however. A must see if it's still there.

side note: The restrooms were hilarious. They have little metal statue-things marking the 'men's' and 'woman's' restrooms. One was a man cross-dressed and a woman. The other was a woman cross-dressed as a man. I had to stand there and wait for someone to come out before I walked in just to make sure I knew where to go! but that was years ago. It may have changed since.

Great design inside though.

Back
Top Bottom