falsetto in COBL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you gotta love the way the SAME people will always jump up into a thread just to state how they hate something, which they have already done in 1000 other posts

KUEFC09U2 said:
you gotta love the way the SAME people will always jump up into a thread just to state how they hate something, which they have already done in 1000 other posts

Ahh but I havent said that I hate the live version on here yet. I was just stating that Edge makes that line sound even worse on the live version by singing in a strangled cat kinda way, I mean that line "oh you look so beautiful tonight" cringe cringe sounds even worse with the falsetto backing and I don't see the point in singing it that way.

D-Bot said:
I sing very well, and I must agree with doctorwho. Bono's range is slightly lower than it used to be, but never has he had such incredible control of his voice. He's a much more natural singer than he was in the "golden age" of his vocals, like mid to late 80's. Some of the notes he hit back in the day were incredible, but as a singer I cringe hearing them because I know what kind of damage that does to your voice.

The fact that he can still hit the high note in Bad only a half step lower than when it was originally recorded speaks to the power of his range, and the verse part in COBL where he switches to falsetto on a dime is incredibly skillful, and is obviously getting a bum rap from some of you guys.

Very interensting post D-Bot. I didn't know you could do damage to your vocal chords by singing -- It does explain the changes in his voice over the years though. Poor Bono.:(

rjhbonovox said:
The falsetto in the live version "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" sounds like Edge is being strangled. Its just a damn awful line and when Edge sings it falsetto it sounds even worse.

:lmao:

I think we already had a thread about this, but I have to agree that Edge's falsetto on this song is what should be questioned, not Bono's. The ooooh's sound fine to me, they're not breath-taking but they get the job done. I don't find them cringe-worthy. And I LOVE in the verse when he suddenly goes falsetto - "can you see the beauty inside of me".

Edge's part on "oh you look so beautiful tonight" however...it just sounds plain off-key to me :huh: I don't find the falsetto backing necessary to the song, it's a shout-along line, the falsetto is just weird... just my opinion though :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom