F the charts!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gina Marie said:

Bruce fans have a strong attachment to him, and it's re-energized when he releases a new CD/goes on tour-ditto for U2. And if the '80's all over again' means Bruce taking over the charts, I'm all for it :up:

thanks, Gina Marie

tkramer, you said Bruce's competition was Nickelback. Actually it was Linkin Park. Same difference.

Unforgettable Lemon, I agree with you 100%

I have developed a very strong attachment to The Rising. It is similar to ATYCLB in that it is better with each listen, and yet I find more inspiring than ATYCLB ever was. Just listen to Worlds Apart or Paradise. Only Bruce could write a song about a sucide bomber that is absolutely heartbreaking in its lyrics and melody.

**jezebel runs back to the Springsteen message boards**

Last edited:
I know that the 18 to 24 demographic is probably the largest buying 6 years bracket. But the babyboom generation is massive, were talking everyone from the age of 39 to 56! That age bracket itself is 3 times as large, plus the numbers per age are also larger. They may have bills to pay, but they also make more money and buy a lot of stuff, remember the average saving rate is less than 1% and a lot of people are in debt(not simply because of the electric bill).

They may not buy the record the first week, but that really doesn't matter because true success on the album charts is about longevity. Far better to have album peak at #10 and eventually sell 4 million copies than to have album debut at #1, but fall quickly and run out of steam with sales of only 1.5 million.

There is one band in this world that can sell more concert tickets in the USA than U2. That band is the Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones have the highest attended US tour in history! Attending concerts involves money and time, things which some hear say that BOOMERS don't have. Given that the average age of a Rolling Stone fan is 48, that claim is utterly false. Most of these teen acts and college acts are lucky to fill an arena at bargain basement prices and would never think of playing a stadium. Most U2 fans are between the ages of 25 to 39. I'd say the average age for a U2 fan is 32.

ATYCLB sold over 4 million copies in the USA and 11 million worldwide. Most people who bought the album and went to the shows were over 25! ATYCLB is one of the 10 best selling albums worldwide since Jan. 2000, and not because of 18-24 music buyers.

I would have to say that the Boss hardly has any competition right now, so just maybe, that is why his album went to #1. Think about the mainstream music scene now, as opposed to the fall of 2000. More than likely Bruce will fall out of the top spot anyway, just like Jackson did. That is unless Bruce does some tv shows, and basically works his ass off promoting the album, much like U2 did. Had U2 not done that, I doubt they would have had great chart sucess (the rise and fall and rise of ATYCLB over the course of 2001). Another thing, I think The Rising shot to #1 simply because that this is the first album Bruce has made with the E. Street Band since 1984. A lot of die hard fans were probably anxiously awaiting this album. Another thing to take into consideration is MAX WEINBERG! HE IS THE MAN!!

Sorry, that was the Late Night With Conan O'Brien fan in me.

All right all you Boss fans, chill out.

I was not saying that Springsteen sucks or anything like that, I was making a point about how bad the new music is. I did say that The Rising is inferior to ATYCLB and I stand behind that. However, I did not diss the Boss. I respect an artist who creates because something touches them deeply.

As for people saying they would shoot me if I dissed the Boss again, well, let me just say this. It would be nice for Bruce to experiement with a different sound. While listening to The Rising, I felt like I was listening to some of his 80's music. It had a very similar sound.

Also, for me, the hardest thing about writing is saying it without saying it. Bono does that brilliantly (So Cruel, One). However, Bruce's lyrics on The Rising are just about as on the nose as you can get.

So load up your guns and come to NYC and get me suckas! This thread should give all you Boss fans with no life something to do for a while.

wolfwill23 said:
All right all you Boss fans, chill out.

I was not saying that Springsteen sucks or anything like that, I was making a point about how bad the new music is. I did say that The Rising is inferior to ATYCLB and I stand behind that. However, I did not diss the Boss. I respect an artist who creates because something touches them deeply.

As for people saying they would shoot me if I dissed the Boss again, well, let me just say this. It would be nice for Bruce to experiement with a different sound. While listening to The Rising, I felt like I was listening to some of his 80's music. It had a very similar sound.

Also, for me, the hardest thing about writing is saying it without saying it. Bono does that brilliantly (So Cruel, One). However, Bruce's lyrics on The Rising are just about as on the nose as you can get.

So load up your guns and come to NYC and get me suckas! This thread should give all you Boss fans with no life something to do for a while.

I'm a Boss fan but don't worry I'm chilled out already. I think rock 'n roll would be boring as hell if we all liked the same people. And it is only rock 'n roll, so I'm just going to enjoy it. I really do think that's the important thing. Whatever turns you on.........

:rolleyes: I personally think that "The Rising"is a great record ,one of the best released this year.I don't think it is as good as ATYCTB but Bruce is a man of intergrity and he wrote a record full of his true feelings!Lets face it there is too little true feeling music happening right now.I say ride the wave Bruce!

Back
Top Bottom