Expectations and waiting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElectricalVoice

Refugee
Anybody else feel like me? I just love waiting for the new album. All these rumours and discussing of the next album - expectations getting higher and higher. I remember the times before POP and ATYCLB; people got Out Of Control - me too. The waiting is so hard :)der:) and impossible to handle :)drool:), but yet so wonderful...

I only start to get the anxious feeling when the album is about to come out because I want to have the first copy that comes out!! I'm horrible at waiting!! So I'm fine now but wait till they drop a date then I'm going to be :ohmy: and start counting the days!!:yes: :wave:

i wish the new album could come out tomorrow, yet i kind of like breaks.

i mean, when U2 releases an album and then a tour, it seems like all i listen to is U2.

at least now, i have time to enjoy my other favorite bands like Pearl Jam and others.

over a...*gulp*...year?

:no: that can't happen!

*is afraid that it won't be out for over a year, now*

So how "punk rock" do you think it will be? From what I've heard from a reliable source, 'All Because of You' will absolutely blow the roof off your head. Apparently it's the loudest rock song U2 have ever done, and the best thing since 'Gone'. We'll see though.

I remember people thinking ATYCLB was going to be a true *rock* album, but I don't know where people came up with that (I believe it was fueled by someone from Interscope who allegedly had listened to 4 songs - but I don't know who started the rumour). It wasn't U2 who said that (they kept saying it was a *soul* record), but this time U2 are saying that, which only makes me that much more excited. I find it odd to hear Bono saying this is U2's first guitar driven album - even with the likes of Achtung Baby and War - as U2 have never been about pure guitar. They're kind of the anti-hero guitar band. That would be a change for them, and any change will be interesting as always...

Last edited:
I don't care what it sounds like as long as it's out soon. So far U2 has yet to disappoint me.

On the other hand....I love the idea of Edge :edge: taking charge and making it a more guitar based album so if that's going to put a hold on it then I am willing to wait.:p :yes:

I wish that it would be released in 2003 too. But that hope is slowly being flushed down the shitter. But there is STILL hope.

Christmas time and March-ish both are good marketing times for U2. If U2 had a pre-Christmas release, they could have time to do all those oh-so-important promotional gigs before next year's tour starts (MTV, Letterman, BBC, etc). And of course, Christmas sales always help. But there is a downside to a year end release.....everyone else is doing it too! It is a very competitive time of the year. U2 learned that with 90-2000. Releasing the record in Feb/March would let people get some cash back in their pockets after Christmas, let those Christmas albums slide down the charts. Then they will have no competition. With the right kind of promotion of their pre-album single, and no competition, then the album should have no problem reaching the #1 spot in the US......a feat they haven't accomplished since 1997. (Curses Alanis Morrisette, Jay Z, Outkast, Eminem and Justin Timberlake for beating them in 98, 00, 02). So while I'd like for a new U2 in 2003, I think from a business standpoint it'd be smart to put it out in late Feb/early March.

the acrobat -

I don't know if it's smarter business to release the album just so it would reach #1. Remember, #1 doesn't necessarily mean more album sales. One can deduce that, in fact, it would be better to reach even #5 in November with record sales of, say, 250, 000 than it would be to reach #1 in March with record sales of, say, 200, 000 (for sake of argument). As you mentioned, Pop reached #1 but look at the overall sales of it. Over the long term, U2 far more benefited from the slow burn effect of ATYCLB rather than the quick "pop" of pop.

The only merit I could see from such a ploy (calculating a #1 possibility) would be from a promotional standpoint. U2 would gain the headlines as being the #1 album of the week, and their maketing machine could feed off that. I don't know if it's the best strategy, though. As I said, look at Pop.

-Michael Griffiths

I agree that #1 isn't everything. But it is good for promotion, as you said. ATYCLB sold almost 500,000 the first week, whereas pop was in the 300 K's. Pop was #1, and ATYCLB was #3.

Fuck what I said in the above. I want a new U2 album as quickly as I can get it! I don't care if it debuts at #3045184158475134. I just wanna hear it. Judging from current trends not only in U2, but in the music industry in general, how do you all think U2 will do with their next album, in terms of success? In America? I know it'll be huge everywhere else.

Michael Griffiths said:
So how "punk rock" do you think it will be? From what I've heard from a reliable source, 'All Because of You' will absolutely blow the roof off your head. Apparently it's the loudest rock song U2 have ever done, and the best thing since 'Gone'. We'll see though.

All Because Of You? - wasn't that Full Metal Jacket - "the mother of all rock songs"?

I know what you all mean - you want a album as soon as possible. But now, when i have ATYCLB in my hands, i sort of miss the waiting, the rumours, the very first listening to Beautiful Day, the interviews and all that. And this time i want to really enjoy this. Before ATYCLB i almost lost it - LOL!

Yes and no.

Yes it's exciting because something new is coming up.

But no, I can't say I ever have any specific expectations about the sound or nature of the future album(s).

I think this album could be very succesful, considering it will be "carried" by the "ATYCLB follow-up" hype and expectations.

ElectricalVoice said:

All Because Of You? - wasn't that Full Metal Jacket - "the mother of all rock songs"?
No, 'All Because of You' is the first song I heard about. 'Full Metal Jacket' was a U2 news story in which Bono called it "this extraordinary guitar thing," and a "reason to make an album". I'm sure both songs will blow the roof off!! Sounds like this album will indeed rock, which suits me just fine. I hope they do, however, add some textured beauty to the record too. That's where they really shine IMO.

yup! i am excited enough waiting fro the u2 exibit in cleveland! a new album? whoa i will be bouncing off the walls the first time i listen to it. And when the tour comes.. OMB i will be insane. I know i will cry. I cry whenever i see any elevation live thing. Ahh memories!

Yes

Desire4Bono said:
I only feel this way now because I'm on the internet. In the past, I never really thought about it. They came out when they came out.

Yes, of course. I remember before POP came out - the clip of Discotheque - all those crazy rumours. And now we are at it again!

new album

Michael Griffiths said:

I remember people thinking ATYCLB was going to be a true *rock* album, but I don't know where people came up with that (I believe it was fueled by someone from Interscope who allegedly had listened to 4 songs - but I don't know who started the rumour). It wasn't U2 who said that (they kept saying it was a *soul* record), but this time U2 are saying that, which only makes me that much more excited. I find it odd to hear Bono saying this is U2's first guitar driven album - even with the likes of Achtung Baby and War - as U2 have never been about pure guitar. They're kind of the anti-hero guitar band. That would be a change for them, and any change will be interesting as always...

Every new album Bono comes up with more bullshit about the sound of it and he's usually wrong.

Re: new album

new orleans said:

Every new album Bono comes up with more bullshit about the sound of it and he's usually wrong.
Actually, to be honest, if you look at everything Bono said about ATYCLB before it came out you'll see that it was entirely consistent and true to what the album really is. If anything, it was our interpretation of what he said that was wrong. As far as him explaining the sound of the record, I don't recall him even trying. The closest he came to that was calling it a soul record with beautiful melodies (which can't really be convincingly refuted). I remember him saying the following about ATYCLB:

* it's a soul record - (which it is from begining to end)
* it's stripped down, back to basics - (after Pop, it certainly proved to be)
* it's the sound of 4 people playing in a room, with no fireworks - (also true: remember, Pop was an album filled with fireworks)
* it pushes out the boarders of embarrassment - (definitely the case with songs such as POE and WILATW).
* it's wide open emotionally - (just look at 'Kite' and IALW)
* it's ecstatic music - (ie, BD, 'Elevation', and WO)

In short, nothing Bono or the band said turned out to be false. The only people who said the songs were going to be hard edged were the fans, who must have formed this opinion because of the alleged rumours from Interscope. It wasn't Bono's fault!

The only thing that Bono said, that I disagree with, was the claim that they had written 15 of the best U2 songs ever. That, however, had nothing to do with the sound of them. He said this a couple months before the album was released. There are a few great songs on ATYCLB, but certainly not even 11 of U2's best ever, IMO. Perhaps 3 or 4. I can understand why he would say that though. They had just recorded them, and therefore they were still fresh. They were arguably the most catchy tunes U2 had recorded, and that's why he must have been so excited. If you asked him now, I bet you'd get a different response for the most part.

Re: Re: new album

Michael Griffiths said:

Actually, to be honest, if you look at everything Bono said about ATYCLB before it came out you'll see that it was entirely consistent and true to what the album really is. If anything, it was our interpretation of what he said that was wrong. As far as him explaining the sound of the record, I don't recall him even trying. The closest he came to that was calling it a soul record with beautiful melodies (which can't really be convincingly refuted). I remember him saying the following about ATYCLB:

* it's a soul record - (which it is from begining to end)
* it's stripped down, back to basics - (after Pop, it certainly proved to be)
* it's the sound of 4 people playing in a room, with no fireworks - (also true: remember, Pop was an album filled with fireworks)
* it pushes out the boarders of embarrassment - (definitely the case with songs such as POE and WILATW).
* it's wide open emotionally - (just look at 'Kite' and IALW)
* it's ecstatic music - (ie, BD, 'Elevation', and WO)

In short, nothing Bono or the band said turned out to be false. The only people who said the songs were going to be hard edged were the fans, who must have formed this opinion because of the alleged rumours from Interscope. It wasn't Bono's fault!

The only thing that Bono said, that I disagree with, was the claim that they had written 15 of the best U2 songs ever. That, however, had nothing to do with the sound of them. He said this a couple months before the album was released. There are a few great songs on ATYCLB, but certainly not even 11 of U2's best ever, IMO. Perhaps 3 or 4. I can understand why he would say that though. They had just recorded them, and therefore they were still fresh. They were arguably the most catchy tunes U2 had recorded, and that's why he must have been so excited. If you asked him now, I bet you'd get a different response for the most part.

I was thinking more of his remarks before POP.

Dec 7 after the DATA talk in Louisville, KY;

John, Bono's bodyguard, said

The new album was going to blow us away. He said it was really rockin and that we would be suprised! Also, he basically confirmed a tour for next year.

Hopefully, this holds true!

Can't wait!

Re: Re: new album

Michael Griffiths said:
The only thing that Bono said, that I disagree with, was the claim that they had written 15 of the best U2 songs ever. That, however, had nothing to do with the sound of them. He said this a couple months before the album was released. There are a few great songs on ATYCLB, but certainly not even 11 of U2's best ever, IMO.

Well, I can't think of -any- album done by -any- long-established artist which consists entirely of the given artist's best-ever songs, so I wouldn't take that sort of statement seriously, :) I mean, even most "Best Of" compilations are very debatable.

New album release

Knowing U2's history of album release's the new album won't hit the stores until sometime in early 04. I hope it's late 03 but I doubt it.

Desire4Bono said:
I only feel this way now because I'm on the internet. In the past, I never really thought about it. They came out when they came out.

Me too. I don't even remember hearing any talk about Achtung Baby before it came out. I just turned on the radio one day and Mysterious Ways was playing.

I kind of miss those pre-Internet days. Anticipation and speculation are fun, but it's nice to hear new U2 and having it be a complete and total surprise.

Back
Top Bottom