Expectations and waiting - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2003, 08:02 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Expectations and waiting

Anybody else feel like me? I just love waiting for the new album. All these rumours and discussing of the next album - expectations getting higher and higher. I remember the times before POP and ATYCLB; people got Out Of Control - me too. The waiting is so hard () and impossible to handle (), but yet so wonderful...

Old 01-29-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh yeah, so true.

Old 01-29-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:27 AM
i just hate when release dates are pushed BACK...
Old 01-29-2003, 05:45 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 12:27 PM

I only start to get the anxious feeling when the album is about to come out because I want to have the first copy that comes out!! I'm horrible at waiting!! So I'm fine now but wait till they drop a date then I'm going to be and start counting the days!!
Old 01-29-2003, 05:48 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:27 AM
i wish the new album could come out tomorrow, yet i kind of like breaks.

i mean, when U2 releases an album and then a tour, it seems like all i listen to is U2.

at least now, i have time to enjoy my other favorite bands like Pearl Jam and others.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:52 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

I find it exciting too,about the new album and wonder what it's going to be like. Definitely something to look forward to.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:54 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 05:27 AM
I just hope it is released before year's end. If they wait til 2004, it won't be released until March or April which means waiting over a year.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:17 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:27 AM
over a...*gulp*...year?

that can't happen!

*is afraid that it won't be out for over a year, now*
Old 01-29-2003, 07:52 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

So how "punk rock" do you think it will be? From what I've heard from a reliable source, 'All Because of You' will absolutely blow the roof off your head. Apparently it's the loudest rock song U2 have ever done, and the best thing since 'Gone'. We'll see though.

I remember people thinking ATYCLB was going to be a true *rock* album, but I don't know where people came up with that (I believe it was fueled by someone from Interscope who allegedly had listened to 4 songs - but I don't know who started the rumour). It wasn't U2 who said that (they kept saying it was a *soul* record), but this time U2 are saying that, which only makes me that much more excited. I find it odd to hear Bono saying this is U2's first guitar driven album - even with the likes of Achtung Baby and War - as U2 have never been about pure guitar. They're kind of the anti-hero guitar band. That would be a change for them, and any change will be interesting as always...
Old 01-29-2003, 07:58 PM   #10
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I don't care what it sounds like as long as it's out soon. So far U2 has yet to disappoint me.

On the other hand....I love the idea of Edge taking charge and making it a more guitar based album so if that's going to put a hold on it then I am willing to wait.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:23 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I wish that it would be released in 2003 too. But that hope is slowly being flushed down the shitter. But there is STILL hope.

Christmas time and March-ish both are good marketing times for U2. If U2 had a pre-Christmas release, they could have time to do all those oh-so-important promotional gigs before next year's tour starts (MTV, Letterman, BBC, etc). And of course, Christmas sales always help. But there is a downside to a year end release.....everyone else is doing it too! It is a very competitive time of the year. U2 learned that with 90-2000. Releasing the record in Feb/March would let people get some cash back in their pockets after Christmas, let those Christmas albums slide down the charts. Then they will have no competition. With the right kind of promotion of their pre-album single, and no competition, then the album should have no problem reaching the #1 spot in the US......a feat they haven't accomplished since 1997. (Curses Alanis Morrisette, Jay Z, Outkast, Eminem and Justin Timberlake for beating them in 98, 00, 02). So while I'd like for a new U2 in 2003, I think from a business standpoint it'd be smart to put it out in late Feb/early March.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:46 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

the acrobat -

I don't know if it's smarter business to release the album just so it would reach #1. Remember, #1 doesn't necessarily mean more album sales. One can deduce that, in fact, it would be better to reach even #5 in November with record sales of, say, 250, 000 than it would be to reach #1 in March with record sales of, say, 200, 000 (for sake of argument). As you mentioned, Pop reached #1 but look at the overall sales of it. Over the long term, U2 far more benefited from the slow burn effect of ATYCLB rather than the quick "pop" of pop.

The only merit I could see from such a ploy (calculating a #1 possibility) would be from a promotional standpoint. U2 would gain the headlines as being the #1 album of the week, and their maketing machine could feed off that. I don't know if it's the best strategy, though. As I said, look at Pop.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:47 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

-Michael Griffiths

I agree that #1 isn't everything. But it is good for promotion, as you said. ATYCLB sold almost 500,000 the first week, whereas pop was in the 300 K's. Pop was #1, and ATYCLB was #3.

Fuck what I said in the above. I want a new U2 album as quickly as I can get it! I don't care if it debuts at #3045184158475134. I just wanna hear it. Judging from current trends not only in U2, but in the music industry in general, how do you all think U2 will do with their next album, in terms of success? In America? I know it'll be huge everywhere else.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:13 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:27 AM
I just cant wait for it to come out!! When ever it does I will go and buy and listen to it over and over and over again.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:11 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
So how "punk rock" do you think it will be? From what I've heard from a reliable source, 'All Because of You' will absolutely blow the roof off your head. Apparently it's the loudest rock song U2 have ever done, and the best thing since 'Gone'. We'll see though.
All Because Of You? - wasn't that Full Metal Jacket - "the mother of all rock songs"?

I know what you all mean - you want a album as soon as possible. But now, when i have ATYCLB in my hands, i sort of miss the waiting, the rumours, the very first listening to Beautiful Day, the interviews and all that. And this time i want to really enjoy this. Before ATYCLB i almost lost it - LOL!
Old 01-30-2003, 12:45 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Yes and no.

Yes it's exciting because something new is coming up.

But no, I can't say I ever have any specific expectations about the sound or nature of the future album(s).

I think this album could be very succesful, considering it will be "carried" by the "ATYCLB follow-up" hype and expectations.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:46 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectricalVoice

All Because Of You? - wasn't that Full Metal Jacket - "the mother of all rock songs"?
No, 'All Because of You' is the first song I heard about. 'Full Metal Jacket' was a U2 news story in which Bono called it "this extraordinary guitar thing," and a "reason to make an album". I'm sure both songs will blow the roof off!! Sounds like this album will indeed rock, which suits me just fine. I hope they do, however, add some textured beauty to the record too. That's where they really shine IMO.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:07 PM   #18
War Child

yup! i am excited enough waiting fro the u2 exibit in cleveland! a new album? whoa i will be bouncing off the walls the first time i listen to it. And when the tour comes.. OMB i will be insane. I know i will cry. I cry whenever i see any elevation live thing. Ahh memories!
Old 01-31-2003, 07:21 AM   #19
Acrobat

Something about a watch pot never boils springs to mind for some reason.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:15 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

i kind of like the breaks, it makes the finished product even more valuable you know?