Expectations and waiting - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2003, 09:39 AM   #21
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Local Time: 08:03 AM
I only feel this way now because I'm on the internet. In the past, I never really thought about it. They came out when they came out.

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 01-31-2003, 11:46 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Yes

Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono
I only feel this way now because I'm on the internet. In the past, I never really thought about it. They came out when they came out.
Yes, of course. I remember before POP came out - the clip of Discotheque - all those crazy rumours. And now we are at it again!

Old 01-31-2003, 11:12 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 01:03 PM
new album

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
So how "punk rock" do you think it will be? From what I've heard from a reliable source, 'All Because of You' will absolutely blow the roof off your head. Apparently it's the loudest rock song U2 have ever done, and the best thing since 'Gone'. We'll see though.

I remember people thinking ATYCLB was going to be a true *rock* album, but I don't know where people came up with that (I believe it was fueled by someone from Interscope who allegedly had listened to 4 songs - but I don't know who started the rumour). It wasn't U2 who said that (they kept saying it was a *soul* record), but this time U2 are saying that, which only makes me that much more excited. I find it odd to hear Bono saying this is U2's first guitar driven album - even with the likes of Achtung Baby and War - as U2 have never been about pure guitar. They're kind of the anti-hero guitar band. That would be a change for them, and any change will be interesting as always...
Every new album Bono comes up with more bullshit about the sound of it and he's usually wrong.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:54 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: new album

Quote:
Originally posted by new orleans

Every new album Bono comes up with more bullshit about the sound of it and he's usually wrong.
Actually, to be honest, if you look at everything Bono said about ATYCLB before it came out you'll see that it was entirely consistent and true to what the album really is. If anything, it was our interpretation of what he said that was wrong. As far as him explaining the sound of the record, I don't recall him even trying. The closest he came to that was calling it a soul record with beautiful melodies (which can't really be convincingly refuted). I remember him saying the following about ATYCLB:

* it's a soul record - (which it is from begining to end)
* it's stripped down, back to basics - (after Pop, it certainly proved to be)
* it's the sound of 4 people playing in a room, with no fireworks - (also true: remember, Pop was an album filled with fireworks)
* it pushes out the boarders of embarrassment - (definitely the case with songs such as POE and WILATW).
* it's wide open emotionally - (just look at 'Kite' and IALW)
* it's ecstatic music - (ie, BD, 'Elevation', and WO)

In short, nothing Bono or the band said turned out to be false. The only people who said the songs were going to be hard edged were the fans, who must have formed this opinion because of the alleged rumours from Interscope. It wasn't Bono's fault!

The only thing that Bono said, that I disagree with, was the claim that they had written 15 of the best U2 songs ever. That, however, had nothing to do with the sound of them. He said this a couple months before the album was released. There are a few great songs on ATYCLB, but certainly not even 11 of U2's best ever, IMO. Perhaps 3 or 4. I can understand why he would say that though. They had just recorded them, and therefore they were still fresh. They were arguably the most catchy tunes U2 had recorded, and that's why he must have been so excited. If you asked him now, I bet you'd get a different response for the most part.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:10 AM   #25
The Fly

Re: Re: new album

Quote:

Actually, to be honest, if you look at everything Bono said about ATYCLB before it came out you'll see that it was entirely consistent and true to what the album really is. If anything, it was our interpretation of what he said that was wrong. As far as him explaining the sound of the record, I don't recall him even trying. The closest he came to that was calling it a soul record with beautiful melodies (which can't really be convincingly refuted). I remember him saying the following about ATYCLB:

* it's a soul record - (which it is from begining to end)
* it's stripped down, back to basics - (after Pop, it certainly proved to be)
* it's the sound of 4 people playing in a room, with no fireworks - (also true: remember, Pop was an album filled with fireworks)
* it pushes out the boarders of embarrassment - (definitely the case with songs such as POE and WILATW).
* it's wide open emotionally - (just look at 'Kite' and IALW)
* it's ecstatic music - (ie, BD, 'Elevation', and WO)

In short, nothing Bono or the band said turned out to be false. The only people who said the songs were going to be hard edged were the fans, who must have formed this opinion because of the alleged rumours from Interscope. It wasn't Bono's fault!

The only thing that Bono said, that I disagree with, was the claim that they had written 15 of the best U2 songs ever. That, however, had nothing to do with the sound of them. He said this a couple months before the album was released. There are a few great songs on ATYCLB, but certainly not even 11 of U2's best ever, IMO. Perhaps 3 or 4. I can understand why he would say that though. They had just recorded them, and therefore they were still fresh. They were arguably the most catchy tunes U2 had recorded, and that's why he must have been so excited. If you asked him now, I bet you'd get a different response for the most part.
I was thinking more of his remarks before POP.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:33 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: Re: new album

Quote:
Originally posted by new orleans

I was thinking more of his remarks before POP.
Oh.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:21 AM   #27
Refugee

Dec 7 after the DATA talk in Louisville, KY;

John, Bono's bodyguard, said

The new album was going to blow us away. He said it was really rockin and that we would be suprised! Also, he basically confirmed a tour for next year.

Hopefully, this holds true!

Can't wait!
Old 02-02-2003, 05:21 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Re: new album

Quote:
The only thing that Bono said, that I disagree with, was the claim that they had written 15 of the best U2 songs ever. That, however, had nothing to do with the sound of them. He said this a couple months before the album was released. There are a few great songs on ATYCLB, but certainly not even 11 of U2's best ever, IMO.
Well, I can't think of -any- album done by -any- long-established artist which consists entirely of the given artist's best-ever songs, so I wouldn't take that sort of statement seriously, I mean, even most "Best Of" compilations are very debatable.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:03 PM   #29
The Fly

New album release

Knowing U2's history of album release's the new album won't hit the stores until sometime in early 04. I hope it's late 03 but I doubt it.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:55 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Me too. I don't even remember hearing any talk about Achtung Baby before it came out. I just turned on the radio one day and Mysterious Ways was playing.

I kind of miss those pre-Internet days. Anticipation and speculation are fun, but it's nice to hear new U2 and having it be a complete and total surprise.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:08 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
I kind of miss those pre-Internet days. Anticipation and speculation are fun, but it's nice to hear new U2 and having it be a complete and total surprise.
Well, who's stopping you? Just plug off the nasty Interference preciousss!
Old 02-02-2003, 07:46 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene

Well, who's stopping you? Just plug off the nasty Interference preciousss!
It's too late. I'm already addicted.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:48 AM   #33
Refugee

Re: Yes

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectricalVoice

Yes, of course. I remember before POP came out - the clip of Discotheque - all those crazy rumours. And now we are at it again!
I wouldn't know. I never had internet access before Christmas 97.

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 02-03-2003, 09:52 AM   #34
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades

Me too. I don't even remember hearing any talk about Achtung Baby before it came out. I just turned on the radio one day and Mysterious Ways was playing.

It was more of a surprise that way, and in a way that was better, but like you I'm addicted now! This is the first time I'll be following a new 'work in progress' for U2. I never had the internet for any pre-album time except ATYCLB, and I confess I didn't get into looking up U2 online until the Elevation tour. All the rumors and speculation really don't matter, because most of them are wrong anyway, and what we get will be what we get, so I'm not going to get hyper over it. Just the same it is very fun to talk about the band, that's why I'm here!

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 02-03-2003, 10:58 AM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:

It was more of a surprise that way, and in a way that was better, but like you I'm addicted now! This is the first time I'll be following a new 'work in progress' for U2. I never had the internet for any pre-album time except ATYCLB, and I confess I didn't get into looking up U2 online until the Elevation tour. All the rumors and speculation really don't matter, because most of them are wrong anyway, and what we get will be what we get, so I'm not going to get hyper over it. Just the same it is very fun to talk about the band, that's why I'm here!
Yes, most of the rumours are not true, but that isn't it. It is like you say: You will be following a new work in progress for U2! All the rumours are just funny - people try to guess what is coming, and U2 usually surprise us!

Me when i get a new U2 album:
Before the album:
I get the album:
I get over it:
I love it:
Still a fan: