Excuse my ignorance, but I have a question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ME2U2

The Fly
the booklet in the Slane DVD says in part "U2 had an American tour ahead of them, dates that would be utterly changed by the
events of the following week on September 11."
As I cant find a "tours" forum in here, did the Elevation tour continue as planned or were there thousands of fans left absolutely devastated by tour cancellations? (If that happened to me I would be crying for weeks! Likewise if I dont make it to the next tour (in Australia or anywhere else) I will probably resign myself to the fact that it will never happen).:sad:

ME2U2 said:
the booklet in the Slane DVD says in part "U2 had an American tour ahead of them, dates that would be utterly changed by the
events of the following week on September 11."
As I cant find a "tours" forum in here, did the Elevation tour continue as planned or were there thousands of fans left absolutely devastated by tour cancellations?

Yes, the Elevation tour did continue as planned. There were no cancellations, only the date when the first batch of concerts would've gone on sale were postponed a week (they were originally the Saturday immediately following 11 September). In fact, during the final leg they even added concerts to their schedule, extending the tour with 2 more weeks or so.
The line in booklet of dates being changed because of 11 September has more to do with the character/feel of the show(date). So not the actual date they performed changed, just the feeling of the show they performed on those dates during the third leg of the Elevation Tour.

I think it's closer to the truth that thousands of fans were left absolutely devastated by not having tickets for the show.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. The site David recommends is excellent, with information of every tour U2 has done. :up:

Last edited:
For reviews, U2tours is very good. For organisation, Elevation-tour.com is much better. Despite its errors and random typos, if you get deep into it, there's some great stuff that leaves U2tours choking in the dust, such as the list showing how many times each song has been played.

September 11 mainly changed the setlists. For example, 11 O'clock Tick Tock had been played occasionally beforehand but was totally cut after. What's Going On entered the setlist. New York was moved to be during the encore. One became particularly emotional. So on and so forth ...

No concerts on the Elevation tour were cancelled or postponed for any reason, not even when Bono was having throat problems. I remember hearing at the time that the band was under a contract with somebody that prohibited any cancellations.

At the time of 9/11, the band was on hiatus anyway. After the Slane shows, the band had a little "vacation" time until the next U. S. leg started up in October. This was the plan and schedule all along, there were never any shows planned for the time around 9/11 anyway, so it was never a factor.

Bono was on vacation with his family in Venice, Italy, when he heard of the 9/11 attacks.

Thanks for the info everyone! It confirms my suspicions that there would have to be a REALLY GOOD reason for any planned tours not to go ahead. God bless U2 and roll on next year!

Back
Top Bottom