Excluding ONE, what is your favorite song from ACHTUNG BABY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Excluding ONE, what is your favorite song from ACHTUNG BABY?

• Zoo Station

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Even Better Than The Real Thing

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Until The End Of The World

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • So Cruel

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • The Fly

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Mysterious Ways

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Ultra Violet

Votes: 34 18.5%
  • Acrobat

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Love Is Blindness

Votes: 14 7.6%

• Total voters
Its gotta be Love is Blindness for me.....
I was debating between that one and Acrobat.
I agree with U2savestheworld, those are some incredible lyrics!

The Fly was U2 coming in the front door with guns blazing....amazing live and displays all of the strengths of the band.....

Swan269 said:
The Fly was U2 coming in the front door with guns blazing....amazing live and displays all of the strengths of the band.....

love the way you described that! I remember when The Fy exploded on the scene and I'm thinking wow! this is the new U2!!!

I :heart: One. It's my favorite song of all-time! :sad:

But...Next on AB for me would be a tie between Ultra Violet and So Cruel...but I went with Ultra Violet.

JOFO said:
I have never understood why people love acrobat so much.
good song.....but why so loved?:shrug:

Oh my god...I can't even put it into words! But I'm sure as hell going to try...

I think it was Edge that described One as a song that just sort of "arrived" in the recording studio. That's part of the brilliance of it, I think. The melody is simple enough. It's not too frilly or show-offy.

And the lyrics...Man, you can apply them to so many different situations. It's so universal!

For me, this is the best part...

Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

...musically AND lyrically. I don't know. Maybe somebody else can explain it better than I can. All I know is that this song has saved my life more times than I can count.

:grumpy: and I just realized that when I voted in this poll I forgot about UTEOTW and TTTYAATW! GAH!!! AB has too many masterpieces!!!

Sicy said:
UTTEOTW tied with Zoo Station.

ACROB@T is my least favorite song on that album :reject:

Yeah, I voted for UTEOTW but Zoo Station is also a big favorite of mine. It's totally underrated, and it kicks ass!

I voted for Mysterious Ways, but actually, I personally would put that song, UTEOTW, The Fly, probably So Cruel, and maybe one or two others ahead of One anyway. Though I feel that One is one of the most perfect "songs" U2 has ever done, I've never felt incredibly strongly about it. I think I heard too much of it when it came out and never quite recovered.

I voted for Mysterious Ways because it was one (heh...) random day back in the early 90's I was sitting around watching MTV and was introduced to the hotness that is Bono...It's the one after One that fed the very early days of my U2 addiction that began at the tender age of 8...

But otherwise, I can't even begin to say which is my favorite on AB!!! I LOVE THEM ALL!!! The album is the story of the last year of my life so there's no way I can even imagine having a favorite.

I'm going to go with Acrobat, because of the fantastic lyrics, and the whole vibe of the song.

But I probably could make a case for half of the songs on AB being my favorite among the 12.

Tech said:
Mysterious Ways is just amazing right next to SO CRUEL!!!:yes:

Mysterious Ways is my number two. Number has to be The Fly. I don't even really like One all that much. Yeah, it's a damn good song, but it doesn't draw me in like some of the others in this record do. I love the lyrical subtlety of The Fly. And that guitar groove, oh man!

It's a very very very HARD choice for me...

There are so many favourites of mine on AB:

I REALLY :love: :

- THE FLY
- UTEOTW
- ULTRAVIOLET
- ACROBAT
- LOVE IS BLINDESS
(ONE remains my favourite one...)

I can't choose among these 5 songs,maybe THE FLY and UTEOTW have something more...

Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something about One. I'm just not a big fan of it, and I think it's nothing more than a good song. On the other hand, Horses is a tremendous song that absolutely should have been on the Best Of (and is my choice for best song on Achtung Baby).

Leaving out One was a good idea. I really like One, but Ultraviolet is my favorite track on AB. That song really does it for me. The rhythm section, the guitars, the lyrics, the whole fuckin' 9. Too me, that song is the essence of AB. Of course, the whole album is the shit, but UV stands out for me.

I'm gonna plug TTTYAATW again. :D It's underrated, but it's such a beautiful song. I :heart: the way The Edge described it...that if you're gonna say something heavy, what better way than to say it simply. The lyrics are chockful of meanings, but the melody simply beautiful.

Last edited:
love is blindness...it is also my all time favorite song by anyone...

but acrobat is also a fantastic song

This is too difficult Sting2! Most of the songs on this album are in my U2 all-time top 20. Curiously in my case you could have very well left One since it doesn?t even rate among my 30 faves. It?s a good track but I don?t find it particularly special. However it was a good idea to leave it out to sound out people?s appeciation for other great tracks on this masterpiece.

On this particular poll I could have perfectly well voted for The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Acrobat, Zoo Station or Love Is Blindness, but I settled for my dear Ultraviolet (Light My Way) which as is obvious is one of my absolute faves along with The Fly and Gone.

Back
Top Bottom