Everytime I hear Bono sing... I often think of John Lennon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Bono often sounds like John Lennon in some songs, kinda makes me miss John more, but also appreciate U2 more -- they're picking up where basically the Beatles left off.

Lennon in the Beatles era, had an amazing voice -- and I still hear it in Bono's voice today.

theu2fly said:
Bono often sounds like John Lennon in some songs, kinda makes me miss John more, but also appreciate U2 more -- they're picking up where basically the Beatles left off.

Lennon in the Beatles era, had an amazing voice -- and I still hear it in Bono's voice today.

I think they have pretty unique voices and personally don't see similarities in singing style.

Wow, I don't hear that at all, even on their Beatles covers.

The only time Bono sounds like John, for me, is his "raspy but trying to hit the high notes" live PopMart voice.

I like the obvious tributes they've done.

God Part II is a continuation of Lennon's song God, and when he's doing Bullet The Blue Sky at the Boston DVD he sings "Hey John, war is over, we don't need your help - America's making war on itself!" screaming "What's my name? Mark Chapman!"

As a total Lennon nuthead, I like that.

theu2fly said:

truly!! that was one of the first things i told a friend of mine who is a U2 fan too. try listening to Sweetest Thing especially his falsettoes and Staring at the Sun. Then listen to the first line of JL's Christmas song War is Over. and try listening again to the all star version of Across the Universe where he sang the first few lines. There is another song , i think it's walk on, esp. the part when he sings "hooommme... if you never had one."

I do not see a similarity in their vocals. But I can assure you that their singing comes from the same place - deep down, from the deepest recesses of their souls.

John :bow:
Bono :bow:

Back
Top Bottom