Everything I knew WAS wrong about Popmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deltau922

War Child
After all these years I watched the Popmart Mecixo City video this weekend. Um, OK, first of all I had no idea that was Edge on Sunday Bloody Sunday, and I've listened to my boot of that show about a hundred times. WTF? Second, I have heard this tour poopooed so much and that's part of the reason I felt little urgency to get the video all this time. JEEEEEEE-ZUS that looked like an awesome show! The only reason I missed it in person is that I had broken my femur earlier that month. Bono sounded great, I though he looked great with the short hair, the setlist was fantastic and the video screens were unreal. Plus the sound quality was inevitably better than my CD, so that made the experience all the better. Damn you broken leg!!! :mad:

I love the Popmart Mexico video :heart: but I love all of Popmart so perhaps I'm biased. :shifty:

Another one I really like is Sao Paulo Popmart, it's really energetic and relaxed. I think I even saw Larry smile as they're walking out of the lemon. :ohmy:

POPMART was only really a failure in the early days of the tour in the US when the band seemed unrehersed on the new songs! by the time popmart arrived in Europe and the rest of the world it was well receieved with full stadiums

Unfortunately I never got to attend a Popmart gig either. But I agree, the show looked fantastic. I love that Popmart Mexico video, looked an amazing show. Wish I could have been to one!

What a wonderful memories I have !!!!:lol: I had the chance to see the REAL U2 ( NOT THIS BULLSHIT CORPORATION ).
I knew I had only one chance to catch them live, something told me in my mind they will never return to Chile... and I was right :eeklaugh: ( honestly, the least thing I wish is that U2 will return to my country now ).

I´ve seen dozens of concerts ( mostly Chilean folk and Rock bands ) since early 90´s until these days, but Pop Mart Santiago 11-02-1998 was THE experience, do you know what I mean ? ;)

It was a really hot mid-summer day here, we had to move 120 kilometers to east, but we didn´t care ( I attended with my brother and a close friend from school days ). We had had mixed feelings by the time the show started, because we couldn´t watch the match England=0 Chile=2 at wembley played that day :D ... what we didn´t know is that we went to see the best moments of that match on the biggest screen on earth :D ( in case you have Pop Mart Santiago DVD you´ll know what I´m talking about, during post With Or Without You intermission we saw it ).

The opening act was a crappy Chilean band ( how they wasted their golden chance !!!! ) but U2 was outstanding, all the band were on fire, Bono´s voice was far better than Mexico City, and we sang and sang all the songs :laugh: ( by I Will Follow we were already sweated and tired, because we jumped even during "Pop Musik" !! ). The overall sound was perfect, except for the first couple of songs, because Bono´s mic was somewhat tad low on the mix, but later they fixed the problem well. Tecno atmosphere was amazing, BAD was out-of-body. We already knew the setlist, so we were waiting for All I Want Is You, and when those programming bars started I was shocked :shocked: .

The best moment - among countless highlights !! - was the last numbers, One and Mothers Of The Dissapeared. In case you don´t know, we grew up with the fear and control by Augusto Pinochet´s dictatorship ( 1973 - 1990 ). It was a wonderful moment when the actual Chilean Mothers Of The Dissapeared came up the stage to join the band.

Simply, one of the truly best moments of my life. I feel sorry for the younger fans whom will see a sell out band hidding in their glory past, really sorry :sad:

zoopop said:
I think Popmart had the best setlist of any U2 tour.

Maybe yes, according to personal preference, but I think out of all U2 tours, it was the most bland with the least variety. ZooTV and Popmart are pretty much equals when it comes to boring, bland setlists, though ZooTV had Zooropa songs introduced so I guess it isn't quite as bad.

Lovetown is the king of U2 setlist variety.

Don't be sorry for us. Sure I'd have liked to see POPMART, but call us crazy, we still like U2. GASP!

ponkine said:
I feel sorry for the younger fans whom will see a sell out band hidding in their glory past, really sorry :sad:

I feel sorry for the whiny fans like you who seriously believe the nonsense you write about modern U2.

ponkine said:
The best moment - among countless highlights !! - was the last numbers, One and Mothers Of The Dissapeared. In case you don´t know, we grew up with the fear and control by Augusto Pinochet´s dictatorship ( 1973 - 1990 ). It was a wonderful moment when the actual Chilean Mothers Of The Dissapeared came up the stage to join the band.

While I might not entirely agree with your other comments. I do wholeheartedly agree with this. I can't listen to the boot of this song/moment without getting teary eyed. :heart:

Axver said:

I feel sorry for the whiny fans like you who seriously believe the nonsense you write about modern U2.

And you pretend to be cool by applauding every U2 shit, right ?. The only mindless men are U2 2000, they talk like this and act like that... think it !!!!

At least I have my own opinion, I´m not a lamb :censored: You simply deny what everybody´s seeing it clearly, that´s your problem. You don´t want to face the truth about your "perfect" 2000 sell out crappy band, wrongly called as "U2" :censored:

Ponkine, how is your attitude towards us any different than some random person coming up to me on the street and hears me talking about U2 and says "Dude, what's wrong with you! U2 totally sucks. Maybe they had some good songs in the 80's, but now they're just a bunch of old fags." That would be entirely rude and ignorant. And that's no different than what you do around here. And for some reason you can't realize that we don't have a problem with you disliking modern U2. We do get pissed when you constantly disrespect us by telling us we are sheep and can't accept how U2 "turned to shit" or whatever. You are just rude. That's the whole problem.

I saw Popmart Roundhay Park and Wembley Stadium and its the only U2 tour I have seen twice. It was the best in my opinion better than Zoo Tv cos sound quality was better and just better than Elevation full stop. Also beats The Joshua Tree tour EASILY. The greatest rock show I EVER saw and probably ever will!

ponkine said:

And you pretend to be cool by applauding every U2 shit, right ?. The only mindless men are U2 2000, they talk like this and act like that... think it !!!!

At least I have my own opinion, I´m not a lamb :censored: You simply deny what everybody´s seeing it clearly, that´s your problem. You don´t want to face the truth about your "perfect" 2000 sell out crappy band, wrongly called as "U2" :censored:

You need to get off whatever it is that you are smoking and stop being rude to people who like post-Pop U2.

I wish U2 had never changed after Lovetown. Fact is they did and I'm cool with that. I also am cool with people applauding post-Lovetown U2. I also really like the new album [second only to The Unforgettable Fire], though I think ATYCLB is one of their weaker works. I've never been a sheep - my posts here show I have my own opinions, like that Achtung isn't a masterpiece. Stop making fraudulent allegations, both about U2 and other Interferencers.

Also was in NJ for Popmart! It was early in the tour and it was a good show, so there goes that theory about bad shows early on. Also, Bono is at theWorld Economic forum in Switzerland giving his time and energy to bettering the planet, so I can overlook what went down yesterday. Anyway, I have no doubt the band will make it right.
Loved them during Popmart and love them now.

ponkine said:

If you think U2 is a "crappy band" then what the :censored: are you doing on this web site? Why would you waste YOUR time on a so called "crappy band"? :yell:

I saw Popmart in Wembley, London. It was a superb spectacle. My only complaint was not down to anything of U2s doing - the local authority there place strict limits on noise output and after seeing U2 really blast it out outdoors at places like Saratoga Springs, NY it was dissapointing to (comparatively speaking) need a hearing aid to enjoy Wembley! That's right I like my music LOUD>

ponkine said:

Sorry Ponkine - i've stuck up for some of your posts before, but that's just shit.

some of you don´t understand me at all, mates :tsk:

I´ll try to explain what I´m trying to do: I´m as die hard U2 fan as any other here :yes: but I feel this is like a close friendship, I mean, despite you love your best friend sometimes you have to tell her/him he/she´s wrong, that´s all !!! That´s what I´m doing with U2 :heart:

They´ve been doing so, so wrong but they don´t even care about that, that´s makes me feel so sad, really :sad:. If you know your friend has been doing wrong and you just tell him/her "it´s ok, you´re still the best, I love you no matter what you do or are, every thing you do is perfect, etc, etc" he/she will never realise how bad he/she has been doing, therefore your friend won´t change at all, despite you know she/he´s wrong !!!!

THAT¨S ALL, I hope you understand me now, and I´m sorry, I was angry and my post was stupid, really. :censored:

PEACE :wave:

ponkine,
You really need to stop generalizing all fans.. calling them 'lambs' or 'blind followers'. You dont know each of these individuals... their thoughts and feelings. You are generalizing. Your posts always seem to upset a lot of members. Perhaps you need to choose your words more carefully. You have been spoken to in private by the moderators in the past and have chosen not to comply. I am sorry to say that if you continue to upset other members your access to this form may be removed.

ponkine said:

Simply, one of the truly best moments of my life. I feel sorry for the younger fans whom will see a sell out band hidding in their glory past, really sorry :sad:

I'm thrilled you had a great experience at the PopMart show.

However, I am ill at your constant negativity to U2 and what *you* think they've become. I do not agree. I found the Elevation shows BETTER than the PopMart tour (not to say PopMart was bad) and I do NOT think U2 is some corporation.

In the future, it would be very refreshing if you could just state how much you enjoyed something (U2 album or tour) without throwing in a negative comment about the current U2. We all get it - enough already. :mad:

Sicy said:
ponkine,
You really need to stop generalizing all fans.. calling them 'lambs' or 'blind followers'. You dont know each of these individuals... their thoughts and feelings. You are generalizing. Your posts always seem to upset a lot of members. Perhaps you need to choose your words more carefully. You have been spoken to in private by the moderators in the past and have chosen not to comply. I am sorry to say that if you continue to upset other members your access to this form may be removed.

Thank you, Sicy.

To add to my post above, in 1997, I heard TONS of negativity regarding U2. You may have loved them then, Ponkine, but I heard oceans of comments about how U2 "sold out" or how the "Pop sucked". So the same comments you are saying now were said then too. In other words, each person is different. For you to insinuate that your view is the only right view now and that we are all lambs is ridiculous. I've heard these "sell out" comments for almost 2 decades - nothing changes.

Back
Top Bottom