EVERYTHING CHANGES UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
U2's Battle Hymn, U2's Heartfelt Prayer

All is quiet on New Year's Day
A world in white gets underway
I want to be with you
Be with you night and day
Nothing changes on New Year's Day
On New Year's Day

All is quiet?a prayer when for one day all conflicts in our world might cease. Men would put down their weapons of mass destruction on foreign lands; terrorist would put down their evil plans of annihilation wrought in hearts of hate; brothers and sisters would put down their weapons of unforgiveness toward fathers and mothers that have wronged them out of ignorance. A world blanketed with the whiteness of love and unity that falls like snow on a wintry starlight night when all is at rest from the suffering daylight; A heart beating for the tranquility of night to spill over into the longest day.

I will be with you again
I will be with you again

Does anyone still believe in the power of love? A lover?s heart bleeding the words of wanting, to be so near, with the touch of assurance that?"I will be with you again", settling the disconcerting senses when the world outside is going to hell, and the heaven you keep inside can be one?s only solace from the madness that one sees at every turning of the eye at the drowning world outside.

Under a blood red sky
A crowd has gathered in black and white
Arms entwined, the chosen few
The newspapers says, says
Say it's true it's true...
And we can break through
Though torn in two
We can be one

Under a blood red sky?a world in white gets underway? Blood signifies life; it is the one thing that no one can deny lives in each of us, our one commonality as humans. The thought that the sky would become a covering of life, a covering of peace and sustaining grace?for without the blood we perish. The people look up vertically, and horizontally they are transformed, arms entwined unable to hold hate in their hands, unable to hold the dying of loved ones in their arms?for this day though prejudice, hate, greed, and religiosity have torn us asunder, torn us in two to now look at each other with eyes of intolerance and injustice, the hope is that we can be one. And maybe we hold little control of others across the street, across the city, across the ocean, across foreign lands, but this hope may this day be for you and I to make a wrong right with a loved one, to do the right thing even though we?ve been wounded, and let the chips fall where they may.

I...I will begin again
I...I will begin again

Change happening from the inside out?let there be peace and let it began with me.

Oh...
Maybe the time is right
Oh...maybe tonight...

Time?it is all we have, all we need. While tonight we celebrate the ending of another year, and look with anticipation to the New Year, maybe what we need is the ability to resolve the issues from years pass. Maybe the time is right, we need to breakthrough?maybe tonight, we will make the choices that will make the days ahead promising in these unsettling times.

I will be with you again
I will be with you again

Who are You that wants to be with me again? Is that you God? Can it really be You? Do you still want me? Do you still want to be with me? With all that I?ve done, I thought I'd stolen your song, that I had crushed your heart, that your voice would no longer have the ability to sing the songs that you used to sing over me. What is it that you want from me this New Years Day? Does anyone still believe in the hands of Love, the voice of Love, the heart of Love? "I will be with you again"?I need it now, to sing a new song into the New Year. Last year?s troubles nearly broke our hearts, but if You will be with us a new, all will be right, and we will once again reclaim what should be our golden age of humanity.

And so we're told this is the golden age
And gold is the reason for the wars we wage
Though I want to be with you
Be with you night and day
Nothing changes
On New Year's Day
On New Year's Day

Nothing changes? It would appear on the horizon that that will be true into a new year again, but I have hope again this new year that if nothing does change in the world?s circumstance, that I will be able to at least know that change has begun in me?

There?s a bird that nests inside you, sleeping underneath your skin; when you open up your wings to speak, I wish you?d let Me in. All your life is such a shame; all your love is just a dream. Open up your eyes, you can see the flames of your wasted life; you should be ashamed. You don?t want to waste your life, you don?t want to waste your life darling...Change. ? "A Murder of One" from the Counting Crows, August and Everything After, words by Adam Duritz.

Well its too late
Tonight
To drag the past out into the light
We're one, but we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other
One...
Did I ask too much
More than a lot
You gave me nothing
Now it's all I got
We're one
But we're not the same
Well we
Hurt each other
Then we do it again
You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt
One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other
One...life
One

- "One", from U2, Achtung Baby, words by Bono

Happy New Years everyone in Interference, stay safe tonight, and where ever you are U2, thanks for a great year through all the joys and pains of life this past year...your songs have always been there to lift us up.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 12-31-2001).]

Well, thankfully you can bring your writing ability with you into the new year, Chris
wink.gif

Very lovely! I love what you do with words. And I love that U2 inspires your words in such a beautiful way. Take care, and Happy New Year!

Originally posted by spanisheyes: The people look up vertically, and horizontally they are transformed, arms entwined unable to hold hate in their hands, unable to hold the dying of loved ones in their arms

thank you Chris

I...I will begin again
I...I will begin again

Change happening from the inside out?let there be peace and let it began with me.
You know Bono has been singing "begin again" a lot more toward these last shows they did. It was wonderful. In Vegas he even sang "Glory Glory Hallelujah" at the end of one song.

He'd be humbled to read your words, Chris. I know I am.

Thanks, and stay safe tonight!
begin again,
olive

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

** U2 Take Me Higher **

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 12-31-2001).]

sorry for posting again but this all reminds me of another song with equally powerful lyrics....

If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

If I could throw this
Lifeless lifeline to the wind
Leave this heart of clay
See you walk, walk away
Into the night
And through the rain
Into the half-light
And through the flame

If I could through myself
Set your spirit free
I'd lead your heart away
See you break, break away
Into the light
And to the day

To let it go
And so to fade away
To let it go
And so fade away

I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no

If you should ask then maybe they'd
Tell you what I would say
True colors fly in blue and black
Bruised silken sky and burning flag
Colors crash, collide in blood shot eyes

If I could, you know I would
If I could, I would
Let it go...

This desperation
Dislocation
Separation
Condemnation
Revelation
In temptation
Isolation
Desolation
Let it go

And so fade away
To let it go
And so fade away
To let it go
And so to fade away

I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

** U2 Take Me Higher **

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

Thanks for everything Chris, thanks for being who you are, not only an amazing writer but also a great friend and a caring human being.

A special thanks for this...this will be with me tonight, like a prayer:

Time?it is all we have, all we need. While tonight we celebrate the ending of another year, and look with anticipation to the New Year, maybe what we need is the ability to resolve the issues from years pass. Maybe the time is right, we need to breakthrough?maybe tonight, we will make the choices that will make the days ahead promising in these unsettling times.

Feliz Ano Novo dear.

Happy New Year for all you interferencers.

And this one:

A new heart is what I need,
Oh God, make it bleed,
Is there nothing left?

What an illuminating vision U2 gives us with New Years Day, and that was another beautiful interpretation, Chris!

This song made me realize there was something deeper than politics and humanism, that change is of the heart.

Interesting you pulled up that quote from Adam Duritz...I know him, vaguely!

This song IS perfect to blast on New Years Eve, and there's a great remix I have on vinyl by Francois Kevorkian (but no stereo
frown.gif
). Anyone have that?

Dude you speak the mind of many in the words of few-you as only you can-thanks now if ever and quit never

I was just listening to New Years Day on the radio...
that was beautiful, Chris, an amazing song with incredible meaning.
Happy New Year!

Yet another incredible post, Chris! (and may i say your posts are far better than anything i could come up with)

I admire your way with words.

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

I heard "New Year's Day" today on the radio after REM's end of the world song. Ak!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

"Bono was embraced as rock's latest mystic leader, a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE YOU DON'T NEED IT NOW
WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW YOU CAN FEEL IT SOMEHOW

wow, thanks for this, Chris. Amazing...and things that I've wondered about myself, when I talk to God about myself, the world...everything.

However (humor), when I first read it, I was hoping there were changes goingo n (for the better) over at "U2BloodRedSky.com"....

hey, one can hope!

Back
Top Bottom