Every Breaking Wave - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved the live version, but only because it represented a lyrical improvement, and the verse vocal melody was epic. This version turns a sketch into a song, and that chorus is just amazing. The middle 8 sounds great too - gives you a nice sense of chaos leading into the final chorus. Vocals also top notch

:up:

I finally found why I think it sounds like a The Killers song. Their song "Tidal Wave" just came up on my shuffle and immediately I realized it sounds quite similar to EBW. Soundwise and lyrically.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I finally found why I think it sounds like a The Killers song. Their song "Tidal Wave" just came up on my shuffle and immediately I realized it sounds quite similar to EBW. Soundwise and lyrically.

I don't hear it at all, really, and it doesn't feel like 1/4 of the beautiful song that EBW does. I like some Killers stuff but Tidal Wave doesn't do a thing for me.

Sent from my ass crack

Man, I listened to that Killers song and the only common thing with Every Breaking Wave is the word Wave

The song starts with the lyric "Every breaking wave" and finishes the same way. I just found that unusual.

???

The first verse is

He’s always trouble with his noncomplacent
Shotgun eyes, shotgun eyes
His subtlety, his mystery
Not like the other guys

I don't know why anybody thinks this song bears any resemblance to WOWY. I hear it more as a Bullet/Walk On/The Killers/Katrina and The Waves love child of a song.

I don't know why anybody thinks this song bears any resemblance to WOWY. I hear it more as a Bullet/Walk On/The Killers/Katrina and The Waves love child of a song.

We're sorry to hear that, but there are Audiologist in every major town, and most are covered under your insurance.

Sorry but I change this song every time it comes on like Chris Farley in tommy boy "this song sucks!"

I didn't read back that many pages so not sure what the consensus is on this song but for me it stands out above the others. Maybe because we heard the earlier iterations of the song but this seems so finished, whether dm or the others they,knock it out of the park. This song reminds me how much I love this band. For me it somehow connects the dots of songs like ASOH, STREETS, LIB, MOS... Just crazy about this song

Acoustic session EBW

Got the physical album yesterday and let me just say I loved the stripped down acoustic version more than the polished up one.

There was just so much gravitas, depth and punch...and that voice.

Dammit U2, not everything has to be radio-friendly polished!

My two cents only but I think you'll be impressed by the acoustic version!

Bono on Chris Martin
'We were playing with (Every Breaking Wave) for the last album and Chris talked us out of it. He said, 'That one deserves to be finished.' The half-baked version would have denied us this, so we owe him for that... he's a genius and a very self-effacing guy. He's one of our bodyguards.'

Wow. Do we have to, like, thank him now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom