Ever think Bono is better than we know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
Maybe he's just been so good he can come into the studio after the other members have laid out a game plan and goes with it, coming up with lyrics on the spot. comes up with a harmony or two then records and rides out.

Maybe he's done this for quite sometime now and U2 songs recorded from 1999-on have just been, more or less, 'B-sides'. As in the songs arent quite what they could've been when wrung through the old U2 machine. Maybe whats missing from the U2 feel of the last bunch of songs was that 'otherness' that wierdo Bono injects into every other U2 song before. Maybe that's why they sound so 'clean'.

Maybe thats what it took for them to regain the public interest. But it's the otherness that keeps us here listening and finding new hidden gems every other day. Bono might have been underneath the scratch infesting while the others worked the surface. so, perhaps lately Bono hasnt had the time spread amoungst the songs.

Maybe we're in store for a real surprise.

Last edited:
Im not really following it.

Are you saying that Bono needs to be more inside the studio working on songs rather then going out to party's and doing the One stuff?

:huh: Bono did lyrics on the spot in the past a lot, especially early years.

t8thgr8 said:
Maybe he's just been so good he can come into the studio after the other members have laid out a game plan and goes with it, coming up with lyrics on the spot. comes up with a harmony or two then records and rides out.

Maybe he's done this for quite sometime now and U2 songs recorded from 1999-on have just been, more or less, 'B-sides'. As in the songs arent quite what they could've been when wrung through the old U2 machine. Maybe whats missing from the U2 feel of the last bunch of songs was that 'otherness' that wierdo Bono injects into every other U2 song before. Maybe that's why they sound so 'clean'.

Maybe thats what it took for them to regain the public interest. But it's the otherness that keeps us here listening and finding new hidden gems every other day. Bono might have been underneath the scratch infesting while the others worked the surface. so, perhaps lately Bono hasnt had the time spread amoungst the songs.

Maybe we're in store for a real surprise.

Yes I think I understand the point you're trying to make and I agree that Bono is probably the one that comes out with the grazy ideas but I disagree with your, and many peoples assessment, that the songs of the last two albums are lacking something! Not all of them anyway!! All this talk of late of U2s music not being "subtle" or whatever (!?!) :crack: is to me just a little absurd!! You either love U2s music or you don't!! IMO if you over analyze something, you lose the mystery and the magic that first aroused you in the first place! :shrug:

I guess im not for everybody. My book IS a little advanced. :wink:

biggs:

You dont think that the last two are lacking something? I came in during ATCYLB and worked my way back and even I know theres something missing. Granted, its still good but the last two dont cross my mind when i think about listening to U2. The only way to alleviate the thought of the last 2 album's inadequacies is the thought that maybe they're both ahead of their time. I hope...

I guess my biggest complaint is that it seemed every u2 song had that crescendo or strange hook that gave you something to look forward to everytime. The new songs it's there but its not as good. Its like watching Michael Jackson dance now.

Re: Re: Ever think Bono is better than we know?

hcbiggs2002 said:
You either love U2s music or you don't!! IMO if you over analyze something, you lose the mystery and the magic that first aroused you in the first place! :shrug:

I don't agree with this. I love analyzing the music I love. I find I get more out of a song I love if I try to put into words exactly why I love it.

t8thgr8 said:

Where are your problem areas? I can help you out...

The book isn't advanced, just very sporatic and not well thought out.

How would "being so good" lead to "missing something"?

And then this:

Maybe whats missing from the U2 feel of the last bunch of songs was that 'otherness' that wierdo Bono injects into every other U2 song before. Maybe that's why they sound so 'clean'.

:huh:

I've been a U2 fan for 18 years and my first U2 album was Rattle and Hum and I too then went out and bought all their back catalogue, all with in a few months a might add! And with every album you can hear how U2 has developed and matured both as musicians and songwriters.

From the fresh faced Boy to the mature men of Vertigo. And I honestly think that HTDAAB is one of their best albums and I love every song, something I can't say about any of their other albums! In fact, the only other one's that come close are The Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby!

Yes, the last two albums are different to what U2 did in the 90's but then again the 90's albums were totally different to U2 did in the 80's. And there are plenty of inadequacies on those 80s and 90s albums too! Yes even The Joshua Tree! I never liked the album version of "Bullet" it's so flat and totally unremarkable!! I skip every time!!:tsk:

I could make a whole list here of all the U2 songs I don't like but it's getting late here in Finland and way past my bedtime!! :wink: What I think a lot of people here seem to over look is that Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam are human and there for fallible and maybe we should be a little more forgiving if they don't always live up to our ridiculously high expectations! :huh:

I've said this before but I'll say it again:- You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can never please All of the people All of the time! :wink:

Well, I was simply stating that Bono is so good he doesn't have to be there for the whole process of the album, like the others, for him to have his significant impact.

Look, theres no way I can explain what I feel like Bono brings to the table. Its just sort of like a strange chill. And the last two albums feel a little too comfortable. And im thinking its because Bono hasnt been in the studio enough tossing around ideas.

hcbiggs2002 said:

And there are plenty of inadequacies on those 80s and 90s albums too! Yes even The Joshua Tree! I never liked the album version of "Bullet" it's so flat and totally unremarkable!! I skip every time!!:tsk:

would you like me to email you the MSFL gold JT bullet? It sounds like you could use it.

t8thgr8 said:
Well, I was simply stating that Bono is so good he doesn't have to be there for the whole process of the album, like the others, for him to have his significant impact.

Look, theres no way I can explain what I feel like Bono brings to the table. Its just sort of like a strange chill. And the last two albums feel a little too comfortable. And im thinking its because Bono hasnt been in the studio enough tossing around ideas.

I don't think it has anything to do with how much time he spends in the studio.

It's just that Bono has tried writing more straight forward lyrics and it doesn't work as well for him. He still has his moments but not as many as past albums.

t8thgr8 said:

I think I sort of understand what you're saying. You're comparing the dark U2 of the 90's - and a lot of 80's stuff too - to today. Songs like Gone, Wake Up Dead Man, Love is Blindness, Dirty Day, Stay, Exit, Bad, With or Without You... they do have this sort of chill to them, in different ways. I think WILATW and New York have that feeling, and I think the stuff from MDH does, but nothing from HTDAAB really does, not even One Step Closer, though it comes close. It is quite "comfortable," as you put it. Mercy, however... I think it does, and that's why so many fans love it (and probably why others think it's crap), because it has that "otherness" that people feel U2 has lost. I'm not sure if Bono not being in the studio enough is the sole reason for that, but it could be a factor. He's been talking about how he wants to focus more on the music though, so I have high hopes for the next album.

yeah, youre on my page.
So what other reason could it be? i guess if he stays put for this one like he did in the past we'll be able to tell the difference he has when he has a significant amount of input. I just have a feeling he hasnt been there lately to steer the ship in his direction for awhile.

the dark U2 is who they've been from the get go. Its what makes those other songs timeless and tireless. I want more.

t8thgr8 said:
yeah, youre on my page.
So what other reason could it be?

Well, I think the musical direction of U2 is a big factor. After the "failure" of Pop *cough*, U2 felt they were getting too far away from what originally made them U2, so they went for the "stripped down" sound (even though HTDAAB hardly sounds stripped down to me). Their focus now - or at least, on the last two albums - is on writing brilliant pop songs. And I think they've done a pretty good job of that. Beautiful Day and Original of the Species are masterpieces, and they do have a certain feeling that only U2 can bring about to me at least. But, it's not the same as the "otherness," I don't think. However, I think we may see more of that in the next album. Bono has said that he's disappointed that HTDAAB doesn't add up as an album even though the songs are among the best they've ever done. I think U2 wants to make an album that feels like an album as opposed to a collection of songs.

t8thgr8 said:
yeah, youre on my page.
So what other reason could it be? i guess if he stays put for this one like he did in the past we'll be able to tell the difference he has when he has a significant amount of input. I just have a feeling he hasnt been there lately to steer the ship in his direction for awhile.

Well if the case is he hasn't been steering the ship in his direction, then isn't it the other member's fault that you're upset with their sound?

Like I said, it has nothing to do with time. Look at Elvis Presley and America, probably one of the more haunting songs of U2's career and Bono was just improving. Same with Mercy, you can tell the song was a lot of improving. No time laboring...

AtomicBono said:

Bono has said that he's disappointed that HTDAAB doesn't add up as an album even though the songs are among the best they've ever done. I think U2 wants to make an album that feels like an album as opposed to a collection of songs.

Maybe I missed that interview, but HTDAAB feels like an album to me. If dismantling an atomic bomb is a metaphor for various things in life (and the world), then most of the songs cover that metaphor for me.

ntalwar said:

Maybe I missed that interview, but HTDAAB feels like an album to me. If dismantling an atomic bomb is a metaphor for various things in life (and the world), then most of the songs cover that metaphor for me.

There are themes throughout the album, certainly, but musically you can tell it's been through different producers. It just seems a little "all over the place." Achtung Baby, for example... all the songs just fit. They all have a similar sound, somehow. HTDAAB does too, but to a much lesser extent.

I believe the interview Bono mentioned in was after the Grammy's. I can try and find it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well if the case is he hasn't been steering the ship in his direction, then isn't it the other member's fault that you're upset with their sound?

no. stay with me here. and keep in mind my original post.

I enjoy where they landed ok i guess. I just feel like the ride there couldve taken a few left turns by cap'n bono... but he was airlifted off of the ship every other week. Therefore the tales of the journey take a hit. That time Bono reeled in a blue marlin is replaced by a story of an Edge sunburn.

t8thgr8 said:

no. stay with me here. and keep in mind my original post.

:lol: Your original post? No one even understood it. Atomic Bono came in and said something that made sense, but it had nothing to do with your original post. And surely what Atomic Bono is talking about has nothing to do with time or Bono being "too good".

t8thgr8 said:

I just feel like the ride there couldve taken a few left turns by cap'n bono... but he was airlifted off of the ship every other week. Therefore the tales of the journey take a hit. That time Bono reeled in a blue marlin is replaced by a story of an Edge sunburn.

:eyebrow:

I think the latest album works as a whole much better than any album since Achtung Baby. ATYCLB was terribly disjointed, in my opinion. Most of the time I listen to the first six songs, then skip to When I Look At the World or Peace On Earth, if that. It just doesn't add up for me. HTDAAB won me back to U2, just at the point when I was ready to give up on them for awhile.

I don't know if it's that the recording process has changed at all because Bono is or isn't around. I think it's more just that as the band evolves and matures so does their creative process. While some elements of U2's music remain consistent, they're so good at reinventing themselves. Look at the transition between Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby, or between Zooropa and Pop. They're not afraid to try radically new things.

I've forgotten where I was going with this, so I'm just going to stop and go to bed.

bonosgirl84 said:

sure, but back then, they didn't suck.

To each his own.

I thought the issue was how much time Bono spends in the studio, not whether or not his lyrics suck. (he's had good and bad lyrics on every album, every era)

Back
Top Bottom