Even Better Than The Real Thing is underrated on interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I can't believe people consider this song one of the weakest songs on Achtung Baby. Only the wrist-slitting numbers get any love around here. :down:

I have yet to hear a terrible version of this song. The album version is one of the few on AB (besides One and probably So Cruel) that can hold its own against the live versions, yet the live versions are all still amazing. It's a perfect summation of everything that ZOO TV was about; media, sex, gloss, and rock n roll. The lyrics are so simple, yet they're incredibly effective:

Youre honey child to a swarm of bees
Gonna blow right through you like a breeze
Give me one last dance
We'll slide down the surface of things

:drool: :drool: :drool:

You must love the slide guitar solo as well. Oh, and the falsetto "Take me higher"s. :combust:

The best part? The ZOO TV versions aren't even the best. The best version is the Popmart Leeds version, hands down.

So, appreciate one of the masterpieces of Achtung Baby! :drool:

I love the song.

You're right, I do love the wrist slitting songs as well but...

there's an unspoken "rule" that darkness =genius and that upbeat songs are a bit lazy and half ass.

I love EBTTRT... :drool:
I made my brother ill by making him watch the video clip :evil: It was one of the first videos I remember making me go "wow".

Great song! :up:

I agree, but I have never been a massive fan of it I'm afraid, I don't know what it is. :( I also think the ZooTV Sydney version, like the album version leaves something to be desired.

There was some great versions of this on Zoo TV, Rotterdam 92, Manchester 92, but my favourite is Milan 92, the audience were wild and at the end instead of going into falsetto for the 'Take me higher' lines, Bono screamed them out, very exciting.

His voice was very flexible during this tour so he always had alot of fun with the song, but I didn't think the Popmart versions matched up at all really, they seemed a bit tired.

Along with Zoo Station, The Fly and Mysterious Ways it's my favourite AB song. Both versions are great, album and live. The only thing I always miss live is that Bono sings the "take me higher" part in falsetto, it doesn't have the same punch (gotta check the Milan gig!), otherwise it's as great! Also EBTTRT is arguably U2's best video, even now the used effects look very impressive.

I like the song. Always has reminded me of Stuck In The Middle With You by Steelers wheel (Gerry Rafferty)( a good fellow Scotsman).Dont feel it worked so well live tho and its for the same reason I feel Mysterious Ways lets me down. I blame the Rickenbacker tone.....it lacks the depth of the gibson and fender guitars. An example being, the album version of MW, the guitar intro is booming whereas the live version doesnt pack the same power. EBTTRT suffers too, but to a lesser extent. STill, EBTTRT kicks ass! Video is cool as mints too

I like the song. Always has reminded me of Stuck In The Middle With You by Steelers wheel (Gerry Rafferty)( a good fellow Scotsman).Dont feel it worked so well live tho and its for the same reason I feel Mysterious Ways lets me down. I blame the Rickenbacker tone.....it lacks the depth of the gibson and fender guitars. An example being, the album version of MW, the guitar intro is booming whereas the live version doesnt pack the same power. EBTTRT suffers too, but to a lesser extent. STill, EBTTRT kicks ass! Video is cool as mints too

Alright song. Not a classic, but not the worst on Achtung by a long shot.

And the Popmart Leeds performance is indeed classic.

"Good people of Yorkshire, you've made a terrible mistake! George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all just big fookin' hats and lemons and air! Well, I've one thing for you, George: pump it up!"

Axver said:

"Good people of Yorkshire, you've made a terrible mistake! George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all just big fookin' hats and lemons and air! Well, I've one thing for you, George: pump it up!"

:drool:

It's U2 paint by numbers in my book.

Sexy Bono vocal, check. Edge effects and solo, check. Sing along in large crowds capability, check. Lyrics include "lover" and "tonight", check.

Put it this way: at least it's not A Man and A Woman or Wild Honey.

silvrlvr said:
It's U2 paint by numbers in my book.

Sexy Bono vocal, check. Edge effects and solo, check. Sing along in large crowds capability, check. Lyrics include "lover" and "tonight", check.

:combust: :combust: :combust:

Love it. My first reaction is that it would become dated. It seemed very Manchester to my ears when it first came out. But it has aged well. Great pop song.

Something that always interested me is that of most of the AB Hansa session stuff, this one seemed to emerge on the tapes almost fully formed. I always imagined this one as something Edge completely finished very early in the sessions. They didn't labor over this one like some of the other tracks.

"The sun won't melt our wings tonight..."
This song is exceedingly sexy and lyrically brilliant. It more than holds it own on Achtung Baby, which is a significant accomplishment in its own right.

Axver said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jKhE2ltziE :drool: I couldn't resist

Last edited:
Holy shit!!! Bono giving George Harrison the finger!!! :lmao:

I'm sure today's Bono will not be able to do that!

Back
Top Bottom