Even Better Than The Real Thing...back the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

Just wondering , should EBTTRT be brought back on the next tour?

I thought it was:drool: on Zoo-TV
It was Cool on Popmart
It wasn`t good on Elevation ( it didn`t fit very well on that tour )

So it might be cool to see what they can do with it if they bring it back.
So I say Yes....but not every show.

What do you think?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Did EBTTRT had any cool backgrounds on the video-walls on the Elevation Tour? , can`t remember.

I think it'd be great. I'd use it more as encore opener, or maybe part of the Achtung encore they did on the Vertigo tour, with Zoo Station, The Fly, UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways...

I think it depends on the themes of the new album and whether it can find a logical place in the set-list. The performances of Even Better ever since ZOO TV have been a little bit lacking for me. The band and Bono especially clearly had alot of enthusiasm for it in 92 and really had fun with it.

Special mention goes to:
Milan 92
Washington 92
Sellafeild 92

But since then the renditions have seemed a little half-hearted, if they can inject some of that early vitality back into the performances and it slots seamlessly back into the sets then I'm all for it.

It was apparently rehearsed for Vertigo. I think it's a good chance of an appearance, though I would choose probably 100 other songs ahead of it if I had setlisting control.

I'm a big fan of EBTTRT.But the fact that they give it a rest on the last tour was good,though.But has someone mention,it would be perfect for an encore spot in a set.

The intro of the song.....just love it!:drool:

Last edited:
Think the Popmart performences were the best for me. Wouldnt mind either way if it was played again tho. Like Axver, i'd choose many others ahead of it.

I also prefer the Popmart version.

Should also be brought back yes i think they could do some nice things with it with bono's current voice, including the falsetto bits.

I've always preferred the studio version to all the live versions, so I don't really care if they play it or not. Love the studio version to death though!

If the new album is indeed rhythmic in nature, any funky U2 song (an oxymoron?) would be welcome.

I'm with Axver and gman. Please, no thanks. There's plenty of songs they should dig up ... not EBTTRT.

Would love to see it slotted into the number two slot in the setlist. Wouldn't work nearly as well anywhere else.

phillyfan26 said:
I'm with Axver and gman. Please, no thanks. There's plenty of songs they should dig up ... not EBTTRT.

I also would choose a lot above it , don`t get me wrong here.
But if they play EBTTRT instead of Mysterious Ways or One than that would be a great switch of A.Baby songs.
Those are two overplayed AB songs ( I think ).

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. No one knows what the backdrops of EBTTRT was on Elevation tour so far , anyone:wink:

I would like to see a return of EBTTRT myself but would almost rather see songs like Wild Horses, Ultraviolet, or Acrobat played live. I think One and MS could take a break.

Thats just off of AB though. I would really like to see a return of Heartland, VDL, or IGC!

To me bringing this back would just be for reasons of nostalgia. It never had the impact of UTEOTW, Zoo Station or The Fly, and was never as popular as Mysterious Ways or One.

If you're gonna go digging into AB again, play the non-neutred, electric version of Wild Horses, bring back Ultraviolet, or figure out how to play Acrobat and give us the primo shit!

Aardvark747 said:

Haha! Not a chance!

hmm..sounds like that made your day... Am I right?

2006-11-18, listen to highway to hell at the end of vertigo, then tell me if he couldn't do the "take me higher" part live...yeah i think he could...

I love EBTTRT live and wouldn't mind at all seeing it next tour, but I just wish they wouldn't just dig up and rehearse the songs that they played awhile ago, and instead try to play songs that have never been played, give us something to be REALLY excited about...it has to cross their minds at some point, right? Play Acrobat, maybe experiment with RHMT, heartland, WILATW maybe? I don't know, just something truly new, and that would be something special...

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
I've always preferred the studio version to all the live versions, so I don't really care if they play it or not. Love the studio version to death though!

Exactly.

To me, it's one of those songs that worked on the album and that tour, but never anywhere else. To me it sounds very dated now.

I love the song, but I don't think they ever really nailed it live. Though I do enjoy it on both ZooTV and PopMart DVDs, I think it's Bono's showmanship and the light show that carry it through more than anything else. Musically, it loses something IMO when played live.

Mauwer said:
I also would choose a lot above it , don`t get me wrong here.
But if they play EBTTRT instead of Mysterious Ways or One than that would be a great switch of A.Baby songs.
Those are two overplayed AB songs ( I think ).

Yeah, I agree with this. The Achtung songs really need a bit of rotation and I'd find EBTTRT much less objectionable than some Ultra Violet garbage. Though Acrobat or Love Is Blindness would be the most ideal selections.

As for EBTTRT live, personally, I think the 28 August 1993, Dublin version is exceptional; after that, why go back to the studio version?

Back
Top Bottom