Essential rare songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sundown

Babyface
Have been trawling through the boards trying to get hold of the rarer tunes I don't have, I've picked up a good few tunes over the last few hours, if anyone has any reccomendations I'd love to hear them, cheers.

I assume you already have the Best Of 1980-1990 with B-sides and the Best Of 1990-2000 with B-sides. So among those not included in those albums but are quite essential rare songs -- at least to me:

11 O Clock Tick Tock
A Celebration
J.Swallow
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Jesus Christ

Non-U2 essential tracks that feature U2 members:

North And South Of The River (original version)
Sweet Fire Of Love
Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes (this song is just soooo beautiful)

Those are just some I can think off from the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

Cheers,

J

If you can find the performance of Womanfish, that is truely awsome. As well as anything form the Salome outtakes.

sundown said:
Have been trawling through the boards trying to get hold of the rarer tunes I don't have, I've picked up a good few tunes over the last few hours, if anyone has any reccomendations I'd love to hear them, cheers.

Favorite rare tunes:

Alone in the Light- awesome very early U2 song

All off the "Salome" bootlegs:

Heaven and Hell
Jitterbug Baby
Where Did It All Go Wrong
I Feel Free

Hmmm...that's all I can think of right now, but I know I have a bunch more.

you can't reccoment stuff from the salome outtakes and leave out She's Gonna Blow Your House Down....shame on you!:wink:

Absolutely essential rare songs:
-The Fool
-Street Mission
-Be There
-Pete the Chop
-Race Against Time
-Slug
-North and south of the river LIVE
-Beach Sequence
-Always Forever now
-Life on a Distant Planet

these are all brilliant and underrated songs.

I really like their cover of Night and Day. It takes a few (maybe more) listens, but when it's ready it gets you. Although Bono didn't write the lyrics, he definitely owns it in the way he interprets/sings it.

Two more...
*Can't Help Falling In Love (Triple Peaks Remix) - very nice, my friend Tim can attest to. :)
*North & South of the River (live - Omagh tribute)

Night and day
Under the hide of me
Oh, such a hungry yearning
Burning, burning inside of me
This torment won't be through
'Til you let me spend my life
Making love to you
Day and night
Night and day

AussieU2fanman said:
Absolutely essential rare songs:

-North and south of the river LIVE

these are all brilliant and underrated songs.

This is a great song!! The loive version (for Omagh bombing) Really great. Who has it? I want it! Can't find it on the internet...

Walk To The Water and Luminous Times are essential b-sides but they are not rare U2 songs. You can find them in disc two of the Best of 1980-1990

I think it is a knock on U2 and a great disservice to them to recommend unfinished songs that they never intended for public consumption (Take Today, Heaven and Hell ---- those aren't even the real titles of those songs!). Even Bono is greatly against the bootlegging of those outtakes. The only unfinished work U2 gave for public consumption was the POP album, so you might as well get that but it doesn't qualify as a rarity.

I think those early demos are also quite essential (Street Mission, Pete The Chop, etc.) so those would be great to have.

Cheers,

J

Omagh tribute? There you go:

h ttp://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=6EA685C6D3950E1D5777E4150408FD6D

Includes All I want is you....

jick said:

I think it is a knock on U2 and a great disservice to them to recommend unfinished songs that they never intended for public consumption (Take Today, Heaven and Hell ---- those aren't even the real titles of those songs!). Even Bono is greatly against the bootlegging of those outtakes.

Cheers,

J

Songs like "heaven and hell," "take youd down" among others are my favorites. I don't think I'm "knocking" U2 for loving some of their demos and recommending some easily attainable, great U2 songs to fellow fans. These songs are all out there so why pretend they aren't?

They aren't against bootlegging, just people making money from it. AND, if I remember correctly, Bono himself went out and bought the Solome Bootleg.

ImOuttaControl said:

Songs like "heaven and hell," "take youd down" among others are my favorites. I don't think I'm "knocking" U2 for loving some of their demos and recommending some easily attainable, great U2 songs to fellow fans. These songs are all out there so why pretend they aren't?

They aren't against bootlegging, just people making money from it. AND, if I remember correctly, Bono himself went out and bought the Solome Bootleg.

Those aren't really songs, just untitled recording snippets. It was the bootlegger who made money off them, titled them, and indexed the "songs" for the listeners. Fragments of random sounds from U2's recording sessions aren't exactly what I call songs. The Salome outtakes are a nice footnote to U2's history, but they are hardly essential.

Cheers,

J

Essential enough if they affect you like U2's released songs do. Just because they're unfinished don't make them unessential. I get the same feelings from some of them as I do from actual songs...and sometimes more.

I'm not happy that some bootlegger made money off of them, but I wouldn't downplay the power in some of those raw cuts.

Just found Jack In The Box , a 1980 recording from Dublin, what a song !

jick said:
Walk To The Water and Luminous Times are essential b-sides but they are not rare U2 songs. You can find them in disc two of the Best of 1980-1990

I think it is a knock on U2 and a great disservice to them to recommend unfinished songs that they never intended for public consumption (Take Today, Heaven and Hell ---- those aren't even the real titles of those songs!). Even Bono is greatly against the bootlegging of those outtakes. The only unfinished work U2 gave for public consumption was the POP album, so you might as well get that but it doesn't qualify as a rarity.

I think those early demos are also quite essential (Street Mission, Pete The Chop, etc.) so those would be great to have.

Cheers,

J

First paragraph, I agree completely.

Second paragraph, I agree that alot of them are snippets and unfinished work. But they are not all just snippets. Salome' and Where Did It All Go Wrong are definately there pretty much complete. Also, the versions of Wake Up Dead Man on there are complete songs musically. Are they essential? As far as the casual U2 fan, no. But for any hardcore fan of the band (which is most people here) I think the outtakes are a must have. It really gives you a feel for how they work in the studio and there are some decent raw songs there.

Third paragraph, if you apply your theory from your second paragraph you are contradicting yourself. The early demos were just that. They were not intended for public release either. They were done to try to get a record contract. A bootlegger released those as well and I have seen those songs mislabeled by bootleggers also. Are those a must have? No more than the Actung Baby outtakes are. Its interesting to see how far U2 have come but some of those early demos are rougher than some of the material on the AB outtakes.

Back
Top Bottom