ES, did it fall off the face of the planet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
What happened to the song? It was on the charts, VH1, MTV and the radio. Now its nowhere to be found. I hope this isn't forshadowing the future success of U2 and their next studio album:ohmy:

odd isnt it?

really, if they dont want to pull a bon jovi, they should not aim for airplay on the next album. simply put it out there and whatever happens happens. maybe dont even release singles from the next album! how about that? it would be like pink floyd.

Electrical Storm is about 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than all the other crap that dominates VH1, MTV and the radio. It's really, really sad. Screw VH1, MTV and Clear Channel. U2 is too good for them.

I remember this same thing happening when "Beautiful Day" was released. It was played a few times on MTV, VH1, etc., and then vanished. But then weeks later it came back in full rotation. I think once the single goes on sale (next week) that the video and tune will be played more often.

-[z]-

Just yesterday I was watching Much More Music, the top 10. Last week, ES was #1. So when I tuned in at #3, I was all set to watch and wait for ES to come on! I waited, and then it wasn't #1! It wasn't even #2! In the course of one week, it had gone from #1 to #8! That's so sad...It's so much better than most of the other songs in the top 10 right now! "Love at First Sight", for example! It's at #4!

*Red

Last edited:
Zoocifer said:
I remember this same thing happening when "Beautiful Day" was released. It was played a few times on MTV, VH1, etc., and then vanished. But then weeks later it came back in full rotation. I think once the single goes on sale (next week) that the video and tune will be played more often.

-[z]-

:yes: I would agree with that. I think once the Best of comes out it should get more airplay. I hope it's not overexposure. U2 was everywhere for 18 months, they've only been out of the spotlight for 5 months or so & they're back again. Maybe not...It could be, like a lot of U2 songs, that the song doesn't really sink in until many repeated listens. I don't think the song is as commercial as some people have mentioned. Especially the version in the video. (Is that the single version?) I actually prefer that version, it seems to gradually build up more than the version I've heard, albeit only a few times, on the radio. The video version reminds me more of a Zooropa type of production than ATYCLB. Either way it's a good tune.

Electrical Storm is really too hard for the mainstream success anyway.

If they want a popular song they need to have a rapper appear in the video and "bust some rhymes" like the new video by Justin Timberlake, who is much more talented anyway. Or they could have a couple of "phat" cars full of hos' and flash some bling-bling while giving PROPS to the "coast" of their preference.

Or they could have their whole family guest on the song, like P Diddy.

If U2 wants to have success nowadays, they are going to have to start gettin' their freak on.

:combust:

Zoomerang96 said:
odd isnt it?

really, if they dont want to pull a bon jovi, they should not aim for airplay on the next album. simply put it out there and whatever happens happens. maybe dont even release singles from the next album! how about that? it would be like pink floyd.

Yeah, maybe they should do what Radiohead did with Kid A and give several "exclusive, one-and-only" interviews to a bunch of magazines and, like, really build up the whole "yer enigmatic artiste" vibe.

Anyway, "Electrical Storm" is only a small treat between the albums and I wouldn't scrutinize it's success/failure much.

I am actually at the point now where I would rather the music dictated everything, not the bullshit associated with it.

I would rather not see them on tv and magazines everywhere if it means that the cd isn't fucking amazing and blows my head off at 3 am.

Zooropa can do that for me, but I want that from newer material. I like ATYCLB a lot, but if I put it on late at night it doesn't disturb me enough to keep me in it. Whereas Zooropa might inspire me to go raid a sorority.

:)

I agree that ES has dropped off the radar, at least in the U.S. (I still hear it a lot on British radio over the Internet.)

It's too bad, really, because two people, my sister and my co-worker, have both said that they really liked the song the few times they heard it, and they're not huge fans like most of us. It makes me think that ES would appeal to the general music fan if only they could hear it.

We'll see what happens when the single/album come out. If I don't hear it on the radio or TV here in the U.S., no big deal. I think U2 are too good to even appear with most of the crap out there right now.

Electrical Strom was the 4th most played song of the last week on Melbourne's Triple M. I have been hearing it once or twice everyday.

little boy blue said:

If they want a popular song they need to have a rapper appear in the video and "bust some rhymes" like the new video by Justin Timberlake, who is much more talented anyway. Or they could have a couple of "phat" cars full of hos' and flash some bling-bling while giving PROPS to the "coast" of their preference.

If U2 wants to have success nowadays, they are going to have to start gettin' their freak on.

:no: :help: :scream: ARGH!! :no:

(Just in case you guys didn't know, this smilie :combust: is reserved for pics or threads that are really hot;))

little boy blue said:

:combust:

:lol:
......:help: :shame: :down: <--- pop music

:wave:, very funny

Last edited:
ishkash said:
Electrical Strom was the 4th most played song of the last week on Melbourne's Triple M. I have been hearing it once or twice everyday.

I hear it quite frequently on radio in Aussie land. And I believe Rage has played it every weekend for the past 3 weeks.

i dunno.....it doesn't surprise me that it's kinda fading away here in the usa considering the "pop" and "nu metal" stuff that's popular. plus, i'm not too crazy about E.S. it's "ok" but too predictable from U2....i hope the new album doesn't sound anything like E.S.

I saw that the ES video was #10 on the "All Things Rock" countdown on MTV last night. I was just flipping through the channels when I came across it, so I don't know if it was moving up or down the chart, but I was surprised to see it. Actually, I couldn't believe MTV was playing videos at all!

E-Storm has had a fair airplay here in my city, Porto Alegre. I know it has been played well in S?o Paulo and other big cities as well. The video still hasn?t had its premiere on MTV Brasil, unfortunetaly.

Back
Top Bottom