Eno/Lanios, not as appreciative of Adam's work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thrillme

Refugee
Not that they don't at all, but not as much as compared to the other 3. Lanois has said very nice things about Larry's drumming, but I've not really heard of any compliments for Adam's work by Eno or Lanois. Not trying to stir anything, but I did read a comment from another board, and someone hinted at this and it got me thinking about it. Especially after listening to ATYCLB and "Atomic Bomb" back to back earlier today.

Joshua Tree was produced by Eno/Lanois but Steve Lillywhite was involved to some degree with that album, mixed "With or Without You," "Streets," and "Bullet the Blue Sky."

Pop, Flood producer. Adam really kicks it up notch with his playing, some of his best work some would say.

ATYCLB, Eno/Lanios producers. Adam took a more subtle approach to his bass playing maybe, but his work did seem a little buried, for lack of better term. I really noticed his work, after hearing the live versions of the songs from it. Then I went back and listened to the album versions, took the live versions for me to really appreciate his work, or just turning up the bass on my portable CD player. I played ATYCLB and Atomic bomb on my very basic CD player, I can't mess with the bass on it, but I could hear it more on "Bomb" than ATYCLB.

Atomic Bomb, different producers, but Lillywhite and Flood were involved, and wow! I don't have to mess with the bass to hear it. Vertigo, hum the intro after Larry's drum stick counting, anyone humming the bass line, or is it just me?

Boy, October, War, recorded decades ago, but the bass seems more audible on these 3 than ATYCLB.

Bono and Edge usually get plenty of appreciation, only obvious being the singer and guitarist.

Larry gets compliments for his work by Lanois.

Lillywhite on the other hand, is good friends with Adam, especially in the early days. Compliments his work, Chris Blackwell, and Jacknife Lee all do.

I've even went to a bass player's forum,http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3311&highlight=Adam+Clayton

mixed opinions, but he gets more notice from his work here, but then, this is a forum specifically for those who are bassists.

:shrug:

Maybe I'm just rambling, I hate dial-up, *waiting for a download.*

Lanois and Eno were used on Achtung Baby and that has the best rhythm of any album EVER! Mullen and Clayton were at the top of their game, compare that to their latest offering and it sounds as though they slept through the recording sessions of the last 2 albums!

I don't know if different producers bring out different approaches from adam or if they like him more than others do or what. but, I can tell you that he was probably his most free on pop; most of those songs are driven by the bass line as the dominating factor. also, his tone on that album is better than most others. one thing to consider is the arrangements of the tunes, meaning, what instrument is doing what. for example, pop is not quite as guitar oriented as say the JT. so, that leaves more room for adam to play more "busy". however, the JT is dominated by the edge, therefore adam chose (wisely) to keep the bass lines on the more simple and supportive side. maybe the producers (eno/lanois) told him to, but I also think adam is musically mature enough to have come to that conclusion himself. as far as atyclb goes, I don't know; there are great bass moments: kite, beautiful day, grace, but overall, I'd say his playing is way toned down intentionally. by choice? dunno. I think he could've really got some R&B going on stuck, but as it is, it's pretty boring.
htdaab has its good stuff too: lapoe, cobl, amaaw, but overall, not as adventurous as pop.
I'd love to know how adam thinks and what goes on in the studio when he's laying down a bass track, but unfortunately, I'll probably just have to guess seeing as how I'll never have a chance to see it on a video or whatever.
I do know adam was taking bass lessons in nyc before pop was recorded from a guy named pat pfieffer. obviously, adam was inspired during this period; also this is when he gave up drinking.

how does it all come together in the end?
dunno....just glad it does.
viva la adam.:adam:

Back
Top Bottom