Elvis Presley and America.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Achtung Joshua! said:

Another immature and pointless comment by the child :eyebrow:

Wow, you are like the smartest human beeing on planet and wider region.HA!
Another immature and pointless comment. You making a comment of my comment is more immature so i should call you and immature and pointless commenter. Shut up please!
People if you have nothing smart to say, just don't write at all.
Another....If you have read any of newer posts you'll se that i've explained it, so please again shut up.
About the song,again i will compare it with pop's song-DISCOTEQUE which is much better than this boring torture which i have to be forced to listen.
I'm just listening, endeed Edge has it's moment like all songs, Bono is almost talking and making orgasmic sounds. And this is good song, and Discoteque isn't!!!!naaah

It's OK, but I agree it's not great. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of The Unforgettable Fire in general (although it's blasphemy to say it). I only got the album a few weeks ago though, so I think both the album and that particular song need a lot more time to soak in.

It just seems like the song is a cool idea, cool background, but it goes on for too long.

EP&A - 5th favourite song of all time, absolutely brilliant work from U2. The jumbled lyrics, the chimey distant guitars and the rolling drums. One of U2's greatest work - nuff said *sniffz*

VertigoGal said:
It's OK, but I agree it's not great. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of The Unforgettable Fire in general (although it's blasphemy to say it). I only got the album a few weeks ago though, so I think both the album and that particular song need a lot more time to soak in.

It just seems like the song is a cool idea, cool background, but it goes on for too long.

No such thing as blasphemy in your own opinions - everybody's got their own feelings about U2 (which are endlessly debated in this forum!) But I guess it's fun sometimes to feel the rebel! }; )~

Inspired by the other thread on speeding up songs, I sped Elvis Presley and America by 50% - WOW! I have this scary vision of Bono doing a spastic Elvis dance while singing at the head of a freaked out conga line. This is so cool.

goat

Very Interesting indeed. Most of you people have really given me a wonderful glimpse of what kind of fans you are. When I first read the thread I thought that almost everyone was going to agree that Elvis Presley and America was a horrible song. Much to my surprise and delight most of you love it. It is in my top 5 U2 songs of ALL TIME!!! Thanks for backing up a great great song.

VertigoGal said:
I'm not a huge fan of The Unforgettable Fire in general
YOU JUST DIE. YOU JUST DIE AND GO TO HELL.

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion.

(...in HELL.)

Elvis Presley and America. Once it gets you, it doesn't let go. I remember the exact listen that finally turned me over. It's really a song that conjures up a mood and a feel. It's basically A Sort of Homecoming played slower and backwards, with Bono improvising from beginning to end. That is why, even though the words are unfinished, it still brings about a very strong physical feeling.

As Hello Angel mentioned, certain parts bring about stronger, more profound emotions than a normal song with finished lyrics. I don't even know if Bono could have successfully captured these emotions with actual words. Very powerful stuff.

It is a great one. The vocals are just amazing. I looked up what I wanted to say and my dictionary says it's "weltschmerz". That's just what this song makes you feel like. Weltschmerz.

Great song, i couldnt imagine it not being on that album. it fits the mood of the album perfectly.

Wouldn't mind seeing another song like that in the future.

it's one of my favorites too! That's something that always happens with U2, for me, I find new songs to love all the time. I love the entire "Unforgettable Fire" cd, and the tour along with Joshua Tree.

When I first heard UF I wasn't expecting much from EP&A, mostly because I had heard bad things about it from others. I loved it from the start, though, and it gets better every listen, I think. That album is amazing. The only change I would make is to swap 4th of July for Basstrap. 4th of July is alright, but Basstrap greatly improves on it.

Think about it: Promenade to Basstrap to Bad :drool:

By the way, is there a reason it's called Elvis Presley and America? Just wondering...

I believe the title is coming from the fact that it was inspired by Bono's fascination at the time with Elvis. He had been reading a biography and such. Therefore, when they hit the record button and did the one-off, he was musing on Elvis-thought. At least that's what I read......

seankirkland said:
they hit the record button and did the one-off, he was musing on Elvis-thought. At least that's what I read......

Niall Stokes claimed that it happened like that. Allegedly, they did this along a slowed down MLK recording.

Instead of a slowed down MLK recording, I remember it being "A Sort of Homecoming" played at a slower speed.

Back
Top Bottom