Elevation Vs Vertigo Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Just reading a thread regarding tours and I got to thinking.....I dont think (from my point of view) that the songs in the vertigo shows do as much for me as the elevation set. Vertigo is the kick ass tune from HTDAAB but its not near an ass kicker as Beautiful day. Sometimes is a fine tune but dosent hold a candle to KITE for example. And the best tune on the Cd YAHWEH does not compare to Walk On IMHO! Great to see An Cat Dubh and the like being revived tho. Anyone else share my thoughts?

Elevation vs Vertigo its a draw ain't it.....looks virtually the same tour to me. Makes sense cos they have virtually made the same album!

gman said:
Just reading a thread regarding tours and I got to thinking.....I dont think (from my point of view) that the songs in the vertigo shows do as much for me as the elevation set. Vertigo is the kick ass tune from HTDAAB but its not near an ass kicker as Beautiful day. Sometimes is a fine tune but dosent hold a candle to KITE for example. And the best tune on the Cd YAHWEH does not compare to Walk On IMHO! Great to see An Cat Dubh and the like being revived tho. Anyone else share my thoughts?

Not me.
- Vertigo is a great tour... with great setlist (even if not all fans will like it)... with great ideas... promoting a great album... and what's the most important: it's a "U2 show".
- Elevation is just average tour... with "greatest hits" type of setlist (so of course everyone did like it)... with only one idea: a band on a heart-shaped stage... promoting the worst U2 album... and it was just a band on the stage, not The "U2 show".

IMO

rjhbonovox said:
Elevation vs Vertigo its a draw ain't it.....looks virtually the same tour to me. Makes sense cos they have virtually made the same album!

Almost the same - How to Dismantle is a watered down version of ATYCLB. I feel like the band didn't seem as excited to promote their new songs as they did with the Elevation Tour. Plus, being so stripped down from the POP tour, it was a nice change. There was no where to go after that....They should do a real intimate tour - like Springsteen.

I disagree,

Vertigo
All Because of You
City of Blinding Lights
Love Peace or Else
Miracle Drug
Original of the Species

have been great live. They are all highlights of the show while during the Elevation tour it felt too much like a greatest hits tour. After the acoustic set during Elevation we didn't hear a new song until the encore with "Walk On". You can tell U2 enjoy playing these new songs with the 2nd encore and sometimes playing Vertigo twice.

Elevation felt like a Greatest hits tour? Where is the difference to what they are doing now except replaccing the ATYCLB songs wi HTDAAB songs? Maybe wat I should have said was that in my opinion the last album was a stronger set of songs to tour with!

Maybe it was because it was the first u2 tour for me, but Elevation seemed like the performances were more emotional. Some of that might have to do with the 9/11 third leg as well.

As for everything else, I think the Vertigo tour is better, definetly the band's performances, they are playing top notch right now.

Vertigo Tour is far better for me. Elevation was good and had great performances but overall- Vertigo's better.

+ Better setlist for harcore fans. Gloria, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Electric Co, RTSS, 40 and fantastic AB set (return of Zoo Station :drool:)- I must say something more?

+ The songs off new album are much better to tour with. ATYCLB really had only few live songs, which were so-so compared to whole U2 material. Now compare it to HTDAAB! We have Vertigo with SFB snippet, great rocker L&PoE, beautiful COBL, Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO. Also I like acoustic Yahweh and I think OOTS have a big potential.

+ Visual part- hands down, no comparison here really. Elevation was too simple. Vertigo is no Popmart or Zoo TV, but the lighting and curtain of lights are great! I love the video effects, especially on COBL, Vertigo, Zoo Station and The Fly. Willie and his crew done fantastic work!

+ some ideas with old songs work very good. New versions of Zoo Station and The Fly are REALLY better than on ZooTV which is great success! Also I like the snippets in Bullet and this new bluesy solo.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the Vertigo show more than the Elevation show. Partly because I like this album better than the last and I really dug the old nuggets they dusted off for this tour (Electric Co., Gloria, The Ocean, An Cat Dubh>Into The Heart).

The Vertigo tour has really brought things around full circle for me.

RademR said:
Maybe it was because it was the first u2 tour for me, but Elevation seemed like the performances were more emotional. Some of that might have to do with the 9/11 third leg as well.

I agree with this statement. Elevation seemed more sincere...and emotional. Vertigo is more 'in your face'.

Vertigo is better because of:
-songs-City of blinding lights, Zoo station, The Fly, 40, Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Love and Peace or Else...
New songs song perfect and older sound even better.

Elevation had more emotions, but Vertigo is better because it has no emotinonal powerup like 9/11.
Elevation was too much of a sure step, and Vertigo isn't that much of a crazy, fuck you all, step(like was Popmart after Zoo).

My vote to Vertigo. It's just better and you can feel it.

I missed Elevation and so have only seen them on the Vertigo tour which was awesome! Of course, it helped that I like the songs from HTDAAB a lot more than ATYCLB. Lots of songs from HTDAAB and Achtung, so I was happy.. although kinda disappointed with the absence of Pop. But anyway, of what I've seen of Elevation pics, I think I prefer Vertigo set list wise and visually!

1stepcloser said:
Vertigo tour has got Zoo Station :drool: :drool: :drool:

Oh man! After that space baby/slot machine intro, when Zoo Station's offbeat riff started, I almost orgasmed right there! :drool:

Guys - regardless of which tour you feel is better - this quote makes a lot of sense - I just substituted "u2 show"
with "pizza" :wink:

"A u2 show is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good."

still vertigo wins for me:D

I think they played the older songs better on Elevation

Bullet the Blue Sky
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Fly
One
Pride
Streets

All of these in my opinion were better during the Elevation Tour

but, I think the Bomb is a much better album than ATYCLB and all of the songs off the Bomb are amazing live. And because the new songs are so good live, I have to give the edge to the Vertigo tour.

I actually believe that Sunday Bloody Sunday(with the Father Abraham bridge) is much better on Vertigo than on Elevation. And The Fly is the best version ever in 2005. One is also more emotional and New Year's Day has more energy. Streets and Bullet were better on Elevation, though. Except when Bullet had no Mark Chapman rant at the end.

Zootlesque said:

Oh man! After that space baby/slot machine intro, when Zoo Station's offbeat riff started, I almost orgasmed right there! :drool:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

When you hear the "Mama, Mama, Mama" with Edge's riff and smoke coming up is awesome.

The thing about the Vertigo tour is that there mixing up the warhorses which were all standard everynight on Elevation. Songs like Bad, Until the End.., WOWY, New Years Day, Mysterious Ways, etc. are all being rotated. And there are more tunes for the diehards like Electric Co, Gloria, The Ocean, Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, 40, RTSS, Zoo Station, and The Fly. U2 is doing a pretty good job of mixing things up. I only expect things to get better with stadiums and the 3rd leg.

Zootlesque said:

:lol: !!

I'm seeing them in about 3 weeks in Manchester and if they don't play Zoo Station they will have one very disgruntled U2 fan on their hands!

1stepcloser said:

:lol: !!

I'm seeing them in about 3 weeks in Manchester and if they don't play Zoo Station they will have one very disgruntled U2 fan on their hands!

Don't worry about it too much. Any song off Achtung Baby will sound cool with the "Mama's..." in the backgound. You might be lucky get "Lemon". :drool:

Back
Top Bottom