Elevation Tour or Zoo Tv Tour? If you had only one chance...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I had to choose just one it would have to be Elevation!

Zoo TV was made for TV, Elevation was made for people. The goal is SOUL.

L A vay sheean!

I only know ZooTV from the Sydney-Video, but I think, Elevation is - for those who got tickets (like me
biggrin.gif
) - the better tour because of the lower size of the halls. The band was closer to the fans. That's important.

------------------
Friday night running to Sunday on my knees.

Wow! After a night of sleep and a morning at work I found more than 30 replies here! I didn?t expect to get so many.

It seems that the majority would choose to land the time machine right in the middle of a Zoo TV concert, LOL
Now lets see...

Originally posted by Tony:
I think most of you are saying Zoo tv because you miss the tour or you just haven't seen it. Almost everybody here saw Elevation tour a couple of time or at least one time. You just saw it, this is why. The choice is easier than it should.

Fair enough. I think it?s easier for me to choose and also for anyone who didn?t experience any concert of both tours, unfortunetaly.

Originally posted by Hawk269:
I just think about that intro, how it just blew everyone away. It destroyed the critics' view of what they thought U2 were capable of at the time. It was information overload...my jaw dropped to the ground the first time I saw it.

It was the first time U2 showed that dark, mischievous side that pervaded the Achtung Era. The Fly shades, the swagger, the guitar solos, the depth, the brutal honesty...just brilliant.

Exactly, plus all the songs I mentioned above, songs that they haven?t played anymore.

Originally posted by Salome:
ZOOTV was censory overload, you didn't get what was going on until you could see the damn thing at home on VCR

Elevation was a better concert experience for me

Another perspective here, reminds me the Popmart concert I went to, I missed some details I only got watching the videos I have. Also I must say I have seen Zoo TV video from Sydney dozen of times but I?m still to see the Elevation Boston DVD, maybe next week! Who knows, maybe I?ll change my mind
wink.gif

And finally:

Originally posted by kariatari:
ELEVATION bay-bee!! This tour relied almost *completely* on the chemistry between the band and the audience. That in itself makes for a totally religious and cathartic experience!!

That?s a good remark, the chemistry between the band and the audience, I would love to feel that.

Well, thank you very much friends. Now does anybody here know where can I find that damn time machine?
wink.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 12-10-2001).]

I forgot to say thanks Foxxern for your sensoryoverload remark above, LOL

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

Zoo TV, in an ARENA! i saw Zoo TV in a stadium (that show got me hooked on U2), and although i *loved* it, after being in the Heart on this tour, i don't think i could ever go back to the nosebleeds in a football stadium. the elevation tour was incredibly special because of the heart/community/closeness to the band, but in terms of setlist and spectacle, i'd have to choose Zoo. i really miss the belly dancer, the handy-cams, and the champagne.
smile.gif

It's gotta be ZooTV, when they were still playing arenas

Why? Because I've seen Elevation but was 10 when ZooTV was doing the rounds
smile.gif

Elevation.....because it felt like we were actually a part of the show (especially if you were in the heart) instead of looking in at a spectacle. Zoo's setlists may have been a little stronger, but you can't beat the intimacy that was Elevation.

ZOO TV all the way!!

Sheer briliance
A masterpiece
The whole concept was fantastic, the best setlist ever, McPhisto, Trabants hanging from the ceelings, 8 big vidoewalls and a doesons of tv sets...

First 10 minutes of the show (Zoo station & The Fly) were something that you couldn't see anywhere else never before, not even at a pink floyd gig...

I was at Elevation in torino - the best concert of the tour by the way - and it was great, much better thatn Popmart, but still THO ZOO RULLES by a long shot...

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

The band is simply playing much better now than they were then. Sure Bono could probably not hit the highs on Satellite of Love right now and sure I am in love with the Achtung Baby album but the Elevation atmoshpere and quality of the playing was incredible. Listen to Until the End of the World and The Fly from a ZOO TV boot then listen to it on an Elevation boot. Does it not rock much more now than then?

Also, the band is more impassuioned now, I am not as driven by stage spectacle as I am by sheer magnitude of emotion. For that, nothing compares to Elevation.

Now I've got to say I am biased...I only saw one ZOO TV show and it was Outside Broadcast and I saw 6 Elevation shows...

but definitely ELEVATION, the best they have been since 1984/85 Unforgettable Fire tours!

I've seen both (not that many of you haven't also):

Elevation wins hands down.

Zoo TV Outside Broadcast was also awesome, but not nearly as good as Elevation in my opinion.

Originally posted by sv:
I've seen both (not that many of you haven't also):

Elevation wins hands down.

Zoo TV Outside Broadcast was also awesome, but not nearly as good as Elevation in my opinion.

Well your opinion DOES NOT COUNT
MINE DOES!!!

------------------
"Everyone loves me

Zoo TV indoors wins it was really dark and broody. ZooTV outdoors was a spectcle, but stll awsome. Achtung baby album and Zoo TV was U2 finest moment. The opening six songs Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better..., Mysterious Ways, One, End of the world, WOW get your jaw of the ground, and stop foaming at the mouth.

I saw the video today for "The Fly" on MTV2 and it made me feel how I did when a band who I liked but was not mad on re-invented themselves.

I used to like the band during Joshua Tree but couldnt really relate to Rattle and Hum. Then along came THE FLY first single. WOW.Bono strutting above Leicester Square.

How many bands would take a sharp left turn after having their most succesful period, this is when the band really shone creatively , musically and really for the first time critically.

I do believe without Achtung Baby the band whould have been buried by now if they had kept on churning out JT or R&H clones.

Think of another band that has had so much success and then re-invented themselves and I mean really re-invented not Jon Bon Jovi telling us before each album comes out "this is really different...."Yeah right Jon.

Go and put Achtung Baby on now it still sounds awsome songs, sounds, production, 10 years on. Sorry to ramble.....O yeah thats why Zoo tv wins, great album, great set list, great show.

One more time , ZOO TV rulesss !!!
More original , more sexier , more sharp , more younger and there is a very good connection with the audience ,Video ( ZOO TV : Live from Sydney ) is so much better then Elevation DvD , in Elevation U2 are old ,( very rare ) dull and ( very rare ) boring , the songs from ATYCLB , ARE GOOD on this tour , but zoo tv boots highlights AB songs are so much stronger , impressive , emotionaly and by passion . All in all elevation is totally secondless , it was already made .

ahem

*follower impersonating MacPhisto from Zoo Europa bootleg*

thank you, thank you, thank you
biggrin.gif

Okay kids, don?t fight, LOL
Good replies, keep them coming
smile.gif

------------------

I'm not behaving like an infant!!! I'm just saying that only my point of view count's and is right.
And I say ZOO is the best

------------------
"Everyone loves me

Originally posted by Marko:
I'm not behaving like an infant!!! I'm just saying that only my point of view count's and is right.

Statement A and Statement B do not seem to be compatible.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Statement A and Statement B do not seem to be compatible.

Yes they do, you ignorant baby!!!
I'm not acting like an infant, but more liek overlyconfident adult with a realy big head.
And I'm aleays right, anyone here will tell you that.
I realy don't get what you ahve against me...

------------------
"Everyone loves me

Originally posted by U2LA:
The band is simply playing much better now than they were then. Sure Bono could probably not hit the highs on Satellite of Love right now and sure I am in love with the Achtung Baby album but the Elevation atmoshpere and quality of the playing was incredible. Listen to Until the End of the World and The Fly from a ZOO TV boot then listen to it on an Elevation boot. Does it not rock much more now than then?

I can't say that I agree that UTEOTW and The Fly are "much" better on the Elevation tour. I'd call it a draw. And to trump you I'd point out that One, Mysterious Ways and Even Better Than the Real Thing all sounded MUCH, MUCH better on the ZooTv tour. Mysterious Ways and Real Thing were absolute showstoppers in 1992 but they sounded leaden and dull on Elevation.
The shows are more passionate on this tour but the band sounded tighter on ZooTV.
Also, I hate to bring it up but Bono's voice in 1991-1993 was spectacular. He was still capable of bellowing and screaming his way through the 80's catalogue and had really developed his falsetto spectacularly. I think the real reason that U2 doesn't play songs like Ultaviolet, Satellite of Love and Lemon anymore is that Bono isn't capable of singing them anymore. On the other hand the Bono of 1993 would be incapable of doing a song like In a Little While justice. Elevation 2001 was tremendous, I saw three shows and loved them all but they couldn't quite match the power of ZooTV and Achtung Baby.
It's a tough call really but the ZooTV tour gets my vote, especially the indoor gigs.

MAP

Let It Be , whisper words of wisdom , let it be...... Zoo Tv wins , but i still love elevation tour , i'm happy that U2 still write great music , still do some gigs LOL !
smile.gif
smile.gif

aye thats kinda hard..

id say ZooTV cos i havent seen it, and I have seen Elevation but that is breaking the rules.....

um, do i really have to choose? *thinking of a way to bend the rules*
biggrin.gif

aaaaggghhh!! follower, the question I hoped no one would ever ask! (but the replies are awesome -- Foxxern, BIG thanks for the flashback lol)
I saw two ZooTV shows, one in an arena, one in a stadium. I saw but one Elevation show. I have a conundrum on my hands: in '92, ZooTV rendered me speechless with its intelligence, wit, emotional impact, and sheer audacity, and Sydney only confirmed it for me: ZooTV was brilliant, the best imaginable multimedia show (never mind "rock show"), the performing arts at their maximum potential for relevance and power. Ever.
In 2001, I saw the best show (of any kind) of my life, period. Elevation. It was rock'n'roll transcending itself, the rock generation at the service of the Higher Love. ZooTV was...theatre, "performance art" with a rock'n'roll voice. God, could any performance artist ever top the Sarajevo linkups?? And MacPhisto was waaaaay Out There, for a band of U2's 80's "reputation." Brave, edgy, naked. It raised the bar for everybody.
(I'm talking myself toward an answer, maria.
wink.gif
) ZooTV was the best show I ever saw. Elevation, however, was the best show I ever felt. And ultimately -- or even, ten years from now -- will have more meaning. ZooTV was big, in a GOOD way *L* but Elevation made me feel big... in the best way.

If you're asking about which concert to actually attend in your time machine? Your video of Sydney tells you more about ZooTV than Boston (lovely as it is) ever could about Elevation. And maybe that's part of the magic of those shows, in the best spirit of rock'n'roll: you had to be there.

(Jeez, trust our boys to achieve the best of BOTH.)

blessings all,
Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
ZooTV was the best show I ever saw. Elevation, however, was the best show I ever felt. And ultimately -- or even, ten years from now -- will have more meaning. ZooTV was big, in a GOOD way *L* but Elevation made me feel big... in the best way.

Deb, you left me breathless, that was beautifully put (as usual
wink.gif
), so it?s a choice you made with your heart. And so did so many others here, thank you all. My original idea was not to ask which tour was the best, because it?s a matter of taste anyway, like it has always been, but to know which one you would choose if you had only one opportunity in life.

If you're asking about which concert to actually attend in your time machine? Your video of Sydney tells you more about ZooTV than Boston (lovely as it is) ever could about Elevation. And maybe that's part of the magic of those shows, in the best spirit of rock'n'roll: you had to be there.

I know Deb. I think I already knew when I proposed this topic. I wasn?t there but somehow I can connect with your feelings and with you all, who gently replied.
smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 12-11-2001).]

Originally posted by Tony:
I think most of you are saying Zoo tv because you miss the tour or you just haven't seen it. Almost everybody here saw Elevation tour a couple of time or at least one time. You just saw it, this is why. The choice is easier than it should.

My choice is ELEVATION IN THE HEART.

I went to ZooTV once and Elevation 4 times and if given the chance I would definitly pick ZooTV. IMO, there is no better version of "Mysterious Ways" than ZooTV with the belly dancer and extended ending. It was just a great show al the way around. I also think it was the loudest one I've been to, where you can actually feel the sound bouncing off of your chest, I didn't feel that at Elevation or Pop.....I think people are saying ZooTV because it was more than just a concert but was a great show with all the visuals and Macphisto.....Something of the likes that we'll probably never see again...

ZooTV was the best show I ever saw. Elevation, however, was the best show I ever felt.

Your answer was awesome... and you summed it up perfectly in this one statement. I enjoy the feeling more than the seeing, so that's why Elevation was IT for me.

Peace!
smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Back
Top Bottom