ELEVATION TOUR-LOOPS &PRERECORDED?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sphere

The Fly
not being a musician this may be a totally stupid question, but please be patient. watching the dvd it seemed like on 'beautiful day' and 'with or without you' for instance there was more noise than could be made on guitars. i didn't see anyone playing a keyboard. do they use some prerecorded music on this tour like they have in the past, or is it all coming from the gadgets they press to get different guitar sounds? i'm ignorant in california.

I've especially enjoyed the horns on Stuck.
wink.gif
Someone may flame me, but I wish they'd just play the songs; I don't mind if the live version sounds a bit more raw and less produced than the studio versions. If I wanted the exact same versions, I wouldn't go to the concerts.

Anyway, someone will come up with very detailed and interesting info for you.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

There are quite a few samples/loops during the show. The Elevation WOO-HOO's are prerecorded and looped, although Bono does sing over the loops. The middle of Elevation when Bono sings "wont you tell me something true, I believe in you" has a massive bass sample that shakes the house. Adam doesn't even touch his bass here because it is a sample.

Beautiful Day has some airplane/sonic sounds at its middle. Stuck has the horns and a keyboard that plays throughout the song. A few other tracks like Kite, Bad, and Streets all have synths going which Edge can trigger by pressing a foot pedal on the floor.

The intro to Streets (specifically when the screen rises) has many bass samples. Walk On's main riff used to be looped with Bono acting as if he was playing it. Edge just played the chords and the solo. On this leg of the tour Edge is playing the main riff and there is no sample except for the keyboard which also is triggered by Edge's footpedal. That's just what I've noticed I'm sure there is much more going on in U2's "Underworld"!

[This message has been edited by Zoomeranger (edited 11-27-2001).]

I think its cool how U2 uses samples during a performance. With them it adds so much to the song. I read a U2 book talking about how Edge had to learn to use sequencers with his feet while playing to make those sounds. I'm sure Edge doesn't use his feet as much, as his guitar playing has gotten a bit more complex, plus he runs around with Bono. But U2 has people under the stage, on the mixing desk adding to the music. There is nothing wrong with this at all, as you'll be suprised how many bands do this. Its all about being able to make the songs sound good when played live. One of my favorite samples is from Mofo live. There are all kinds of cool sounds going on.

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
They've been using loops since the Unforgettable Fire tour and I like them so there.
don't get me wrong. i'm not against what ever it takes to get the music. the question originally arose because my daughter had asked me how they could make all 'that noise' with guitars. i knew that they had used loops and samples on previous tours , but i wasn't sure about this one. i want to thank everyone for their technical expertise on this one.

I would prefer it if, as a band, they?d think to bring other musicians on stage or to play just what they can.
If I go to a live ROCK concert, I don?t want to hear samplers. With electronica it is different, ok... but if they have all this hype being back to the roots etc. Why do they do that? They don?t have to sound like a fully fledged version of James Brown?s band. And neither live.
Bullshit, if you ask me. Just my 5 cents.

Another obvious one is the "747" sound at the beginning and end of GONE...

$.02

Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars:
I would prefer it if, as a band, they?d think to bring other musicians on stage or to play just what they can.
If I go to a live ROCK concert, I don?t want to hear samplers. With electronica it is different, ok... but if they have all this hype being back to the roots etc. Why do they do that? They don?t have to sound like a fully fledged version of James Brown?s band. And neither live.
Bullshit, if you ask me. Just my 5 cents.

Don't be an ass. They were going back to their roots but it was their Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree roots when they used all sorts of loops and samples live.
It's just what U2 is live. It's what they've been since 1985, so unless you're pining for the War tour (not a bad thing if you are) you haven't got any basis to whine.

MAP

I?m not an ass man. Hope you get to be less personal and more friendly next time.
I don?t care a dime if they use samplers around since the time they exist. I just would prefer if they did it without and put real live musicians onstage if they want that big sound.
What would you say if they extended that little process so the next concert you go to is 100% playback? I would think it is a kind of ripoff.
Seeing a few concerts at the Elevation tour I must say that I was not less elevated for the samples, so it doesn?t have that great affect. But what about all this marketing campaign with "the best band in the world"?
What there? Consisting of Bono, Edge, Larry, Adam and AkaiS6000?
Through your vulgar energy, I imagine you are a little young. Grow up, Matthew. I just stated my opinion.

Well, Salome, the difference is that a sampler is not a musician (not a big difference, in the end, maybe). Don?t worry, I won?t like U2 any more with more players, for this you are right. I only prefer to give the title "Best Band In The World" to someone else then, you know. Because Band Leading in itself is a very difficult thing. The players have to enrich the vision of their Bandleader, and he has to be able to keep them tight, so they don?t do their 20 minute solo, but not too tight, so they don?t feel like in prison.
Hmmm let?s see...
Buena Vista Social Club could be the winner for that title, maybe.

Almost every live act uses samplers these days..and u2 still plays the vast majority of what you hear..there is nothing wrong with adding a few bits here and there just to fill it out...it means you are getting a better product...Let u2 decide what they do on stage...if you dont' like it..dont' go to the show..it's really that simple

I?m not an ass man. ........ But what about all this marketing campaign with "the best band in the world"?

Hahaha.. I'm laughing my ass off.. Amazingly well timed statements to quell off this insignificant ramble of 'roots shiz'.. It's amazing, samples, distortions, bono's gravely voice, I loved the concerts.. And Yes.. Akais6000.. funny as hell.. THough I would have recommended teh AkSaki4400

Whenhiphop...

Well, I'm 27. I have no idea whether you consider that "young" or not.
Regardless, U2 said they wanted to get back to THEIR roots, not Hank Williams' so my point is still valid. You can't accuse U2 of going back on their word about getting "back to their roots" just because they use samplers live.
And using samplers isn't "bullshit" unless you consider the U2 live experience since 1985 "bullshit" in which case you're probably frequenting the wrong forum.

MAP

Well, you have to remember Edge's guitar setup is so unique that he can get multiple sounds. So if you think you here another guitar loop along with his playing its most of the time a delay effect or a sound coming from a different signal path. In fact i dont think there are any guitar loops on this tour. Keyboard loops too are sometimes misinterpreted. In i Still Havent Found some have said there is a keyboard part, but in fact its a effect Edge's uses thru the guitar. He and Dallas have created such a magnificent rack unit you sometimes can be fooled. Of course not counting Bono's woohoo's or the piano part at the end of Walk On, or the keyboard part at the beginning of Streets etc. But its not used as much as people think.

Well, seeing only bits of songs from Elevation tours, yes, there are samples. Even though that people still love the shows, it wouldn't be that hard to bring additional people to play the synthesizers/strings etc...

But what about all this marketing campaign with "the best band in the world"?
what does this have to do with your original point that you want real musicians on stage?

would U2 be a better band if instead of AkaiS6000 a bunch of people I don't know (+ don't want to see on stage when I go to see U2) would be there?

anyways, as long as the major part is played live I'm satisfied

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 11-28-2001).]

Well, Salome, the difference is that a sampler is not a musician (not a big difference, in the end, maybe). Don?t worry, I won?t like U2 any more with more players, for this you are right. I only prefer to give the title "Best Band In The World" to someone else then, you know. Because Band Leading in itself is a very difficult thing. The players have to enrich the vision of their Bandleader, and he has to be able to keep them tight, so they don?t do their 20 minute solo, but not too tight, so they don?t feel like in prison.
Hmmm let?s see...
Buena Vista Social Club could be the winner for that title, maybe.

Does the Edge use the delay loops? It was my assumption that he did for a song like "With or Without You" for example. Some pedals allow you to play a riff and then repeat/ loop it while maybe allowing you to play along. A lot of what Edge plays isn't complex in the sense that there are lot of rhythm changes or different note variations. Like the solo at the end of With or Without you. There are two guitars layered together. It seemed like the riff could just be played and looped after a bit b/c it starts with one guitar playing and then the 2nd comes in after a few bars.

But I'm not sure. I don't mind sequencers but IMO it would be nice if they had an extra musician b/c some songs need an extra guitar or keyboard palyer IMO to make it really work alah "Wild Honey," "In Little While," etc.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
I pay to watch U2. I don't pay too watch other people play!

Exactly, I don't mind the loops en the swirls and al that other crap as long as it's not too obvious.

More U2 deceitfulness: It turns out that "The Edge" is really named David Evans and "Bono" is really Paul Hewson!!
Will the lies ever stop??

MAP

Originally posted by MikeSt:

magnificent rack

HEHE!

BTW, I'm gonna boycott U2 now cause they use samples! It's time to listen to REAL music like NSYNC!
wink.gif

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Will the lies ever stop??

I'v heard that it isn't even U2 on that DVD, but some band called the Hype!!!
eek.gif

Well, whoever it is, they're causing a lot of feedback
mad.gif

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom