Elevation Tour "Flashbulb Memories"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kariatari

War Child
Do you guys have any of those? You know, those images from the Elevation Tour that will be forever engrained in your memory? The memories that you can almost smell and taste and make you giddy everytime you think about them? Here are a couple of mine:

Seeing Bono for the first time in real life; just the way he swaggered onto the stage, scoping out the audience, ready to take on the task of making a personal connection with 18,000 in one night people and confident that he could do it.

After Bono sang "it's all we can do" in Streets and then literally breaking into a full fledged sprint around the heart (sprint, not a prance like in the Boston DVD) and seeing everbody's faces illuminated with the golden light, everyone's arms in the air, hearing the audience cheer him on...*fuzzies* I had no idea Bono could run that fast! Then he stopped at the tip of the heart and belted out the "whoaaaaaaaaaaa" yeah.... :) :)

I remember being stunned when they played "pride" as the 3rd song in the set. (Chicago, May 13th).

I remember Bono diving into the crowd during "Staring at the Sun" (at the end of "Discotheque) and continuing the song.

I remember Bono sprinting (just as kariatari illustrated) around the heart about 4 times during the beginning of "Streets".

I remember so much.

Now for Popmart ('cos I cheat and put other things in my replies):

I remember seeing Bono for the first time and being star struck. Good ol' King B jumping, jiving, and juking with that white robe on. Great fun.

I remember "Discotheque". The lights going crazy and the sound was so loud.

I also recall that Bono played acoustic guitar during "with or without you" at that Popmart. I could ramble on and on so I'll just say good night.

- The Zoocifer -

get your arses here....PLEASE

*i'd never been anywhere near bono and after all those years of being a fan, there i was all of a sudden smack at the fornt of the heart, chatting away when all of a sudden, he just walks out and stands right in front of me.
it was incredible. he was right there, standing and breathing the same space and air that i was.
seeing him like that for the first time was surreal.

* the ooh hoos of the whole crowd and how we all just went nuts jumping and screaming the woo hoos in a giant roar

*the mighty edge/bono bullfight..bono trying to kill himself with the guitar.

*The Fly BonoSplat!

Last edited:
Slane 2 they played Thin Lizzys The boys are back in town and then everyone started to get REALLY excited

Before they came out on stage Elevation music was playing and i remeber getting so excited my dad thought i was gonna faint or something

when the boys came out.....i went crazy :drool:

Singing all the tunes with all the people at the concert is fun! :up:

Re: get your arses here....PLEASE

zooropamanda said:

* the ooh hoos of the whole crowd and how we all just went nuts jumping and screaming the woo hoos in a giant roar

*the mighty edge/bono bullfight..bono trying to kill himself with the guitar.

:yes:

I love the little things that happen on stage. It makes the band members more human, if you know what I mean. During the final Miami show, I remember:

*staring at The Edge when he shut his eyes while playing; he grimaced too when he went a bit off-key :D

*Larry folding his arms when there's no part in the song he needs to play and he's just staring into space :love:

*Adam smiling all the time while playing :)

*Bono throwing water from the cup he drank from at us :p

I also love looking at the audience when they're singing with the band. You kind of share their joy. :wink:

Last edited:
Oh great thread!

I remember the way my heart would start pounding the moment I heard Higher love or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's club band and then the woo hoos of Elevation :D

I remember hearing Bad live for the first time at the first Miami/Ft. Lauderdale show. I will never forget that moment. A friend of mine breaking down in my arms because it hit him so hard.

I remember the tease of 11 o'clock tick tock at the 3rd Chicago show (5/15/01) Them stopping and starting it up again! *lol* My heart skipped a beat! Out of Control of course that night, the people in the heart going insane! Hearing the extra verse to WOWY for the first time on the tour. GREAT F*CKING NIGHT!

I remember hearing the extra verse to WOWY again for the last NJ show on the 1st leg and my friend picking me up when we realized what was happening and me screaming at the top of my lungs *lol*

Oh yeah and hearing In God's Country at the last show in Miami. I think I lost my voice from screaming :D

Most of my memories are of my interactions with my friends at the shows - ah I miss it! :(

From PopMart:

* I couldn't believe the size of the stage and when they actually broke out into Mofo after the long introduction, the colors and sound was amazing!

From Elevation:

* The lights going off halfway during Elevation and the initial reaction when the song was started.

* Knowing what's coming with Streets, the red lights the spinning bulbs, I can still remember staring at the bulbs when the started spinning and when they ended. The view of the heart from the back of the stage was mesmerizing.

* The show I went to was the day before Bono's birthday (Milwaukee) ... someonethrew a blue plastic bowler hat on stage (the hat had a band aound it that said Happy Birthday. He put it on for a while ... then he started walking around the heart and held his hat out (like a beggar) ... people started throwning money at him ... I think someone hit him in the head with a coin. It was just such a cute/funny moment.

* Hearing Stay and Kite ... and being reduced to tears

* The splat at the end of The Fly.

* During BD, Bono sang You've been all over, the Bucks been all over you" (back in 2001, The bucks were good and headed to the playoffs.

* The incredible feeling inside of me during Streets

* Taking my sis to her first U2 concert and having her declare it was the best concert she's ever been to.

The Elevation-show in cologne was so great!

Emotional highlights for me:

While U2 were playing "Desire" a fan holds up the lyrics of "Hawkmoon 269" and "Running to stand still". Bono
really started to sing parts of these two songs. How great is that?
:yes:
Four legends!And they were reacting so spontaneously!:heart:

They played IALW for Hermann Brood.He was an artist from the Netherlands and a friend of Bono.He died a few days before the
show.It was such an emotional version of the song.:sad:
So many people in the crowd had tears in their eyes, me too.
Hermann Brood was often in Cologne,`cause he loved the city.

Last edited:
A Maaaaaaan said:

They played IALW for Hermann Brood.He was an artist from the Netherlands and a friend of Bono.He died a few days before the
show.It was such an emotional version of the song.:sad:
So many people in the crowd had tears in their eyes, me too.
Hermann Brood was often in Cologne,`cause he loved the city.

Is that the name Bono called out to before singing Gone? He mentioned Hutch (for Michael Hutchence, I guess) before, but I think there was this one bootleg where he said, "Hermann Brood!". :confused:

Sigh, yes! It would have to be in Baltimore when Bono took off his shades at the tip of the heart. He slowly took them off with his head bent down a little, then he rubbed his eyes, then, very quickly he raised up his head, turned to the the right, (my direction) and opened his eyes, blinked them, looked all around until the spotlights were glowing in them, and smiled. He got this look on his face like he'd been blind for a long time and suddenly got his sight back, the way he was looking at everything it was like, WOW! His eyes were so beautiful and I could see every detail in them- the blue, the pupils, the little sparkly lights reflecting on his corneas! *chills and thrills* what a moment!

Last edited:
I have so many memories:

Popmart:

*When the boys came out to go on the stage they went through the crowd, I remember this because I was just above ground level and if I would have been able to be @ ground level I would have been close enough to touch the guys!

*During one point in the concert Bono walks out on to the catwalk and doesnt say anything he just looks from right to left and then I swear he looked to his left and look @ me straight in the eyes and he did this for like 10 secs.

*Lastly, I remember having to go to the restroom right after the 3rd song of the set and my sister got really mad @ me. I drank way to much :lemon:nade for my own good.:lol:

Elevation:

*Going to the 1st concert with my parents and it being their first concert since '73. It was hillarious to see them there!:lol:

*Catching Bonos eye when he walk in and was looking @ everyone. I was jumping up and down, I must have looked like a total geek.

*Going to the 2nd concert w/ my sister and have my first pint of Guinness(spelling?).

* Going to the 3rd concert in less then 5 days from the last one that I went to.

Those are my memories from seeing U2 in concert!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom