Elevation tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
I went to see two U2 Elevation gigs. They were almost exaclty the same. Looking at the setlist on U2tours.com, they play almost exactly the same stuff everyone night. You could go to a U2 Elevation concert knowing almost exaclty what to expect:

Elevation
Beautiful Day
Until the End of the World
New Year's Day /Discotheuqe + Staring at the sun
Kite
Out of COntrol/I will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday (Bono runs aroudn with an Irish flag, or hugs an American flag)
SIAM
3 or 4 acoustic songs, for example:
In a Little while, Stay, Staring at the sun, Please
ALl I want is you/BAd + snippet of other song i.e. Whose gonna ride
Streets
Mysterious Ways/ ISHFWILF
Pride/ the Fly (usually Pride)

Bullet the BLue Sky (Bono plays with spotlight)
What's going on/with or without you.
New york (curtain is suspended)
One (with big speech at the beggining)
Peace on Earth
Walk On

They so needed to shake it up so much more - if you see them once of twice, its brilliant and mind-blowing - if you go and see more than 5, it must get so predictable.

Looking at Radiohead set-list + stage set-ups - every show is different. That's something I though was so lacking from Elevation tour 2001.

*puts ear muffs on in preparation for shouting*

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

sorry. Gotta take a bit of issue with this. I don't have the stats, but I believe it has already been pointed out that the band played over 40 songs throughout the tour. Not to mention that U2 has never in the past been known for their shaking up the setlist every night...I fail to see how you could expect it now.

Actually it was more than that. I believe it was around 48 different U2 original songs and then you add the covers on to that. It was actually the most diverse overall tours as far as setlists that U2 has ever done.

I saw 8 shows and every setlist was different in some way, some drastically.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 12-07-2001).]

Originally posted by NShaik:
Looking at Radiohead set-list + stage set-ups - every show is different.
Bono also doesn't sing like something got stuck in his bum
did you also miss that?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 12-07-2001).]

Oh damn, when I first looked at your username I thought it said N'Sync.

They're almost exactly the same!

i saw 4 shows and my mind is blown.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

Well, I saw only 4 shows and managed to hear 37 different songs not too mention 7 extra snippets... so you could say my mind was blown and I think that is definately shaking things up.

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Oh well - WHat I said more applies to the third leg of the tour. As I said, I saw U2 twice, and this is the first tiem I've seen them, and I was blown away twice - I was in the seats for the first one - I'd avoided all the setlists so I had no idea what to expect. I was blown away. Second time, I was 3 metres from BOno - so I was blown away then. I think that if the second time, I had been in the seats, I wouldn't have been nearly as blown away as the first time, because the setlist were Identical, except that IALW was taken out, Stay was replaced by GBHF, and Party Girl was replaced with Angel of Harlem. It seems to me too much like a script.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee

It seems to me too much like a script.

then don't go more than once. i'll take your spot at the second show.

------------------

It seems to me too much like a script.

Uhh, of course it is scripted! You think they go out on the night and play 20 or so songs off the top of their heads? Riiiiiiiight. They pick the songs they think will appeal to the majority of the audience, not people who are looking for a show different to the 1 they saw earlier, but are too thick to realise it says "U2 elevation tour" on both tickets, not side a, and side b, its the same feckin show!!!! Who gives a shit what Radiohead do, kudos to them if they wanna be switching playlists majorly.

I'd gladly go see U2 about now if they only played 10 songs, and then played those 10 songs over again. They're the best feckin live band EVER, FACT!

*shakes under lack of U2 live, runs for DVD*

I second that lazyboy!

You forget that every night different things happen during the songs...they may play the same songs, but they are different every night...I would love to go to all the shows and compare, anyone with me?

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

BONO: I think you pull it.
HIPPYACTRESS: !!
BONO: Or push it.
BONO: Just....feckin? twist it, I guess. I don't know. I WANT MORE!!
HIPPYACTRESS: *passes out*
BONO: NURSE!!! *rings bell* I did it again!

Originally posted by lazyboy:
*shakes under lack of U2 live, runs for DVD*

ohhhh, what's the point. no matter how much i yell at bono they won't change the setlist

------------------

Originally posted by kobayashi:
ohhhh, what's the point. no matter how much i yell at bono they won't change the setlist

I know i know!!!!!!! I saw it four times and the same! Every time!!!! Like come on already!!! feck sake, can you not sense I am watching?! Stupid useless U2! Almost as bad as the time me and my friend went to the gig, it was his birthday, and they didn't play "Happy Birthday" or the other song we were expecting, "The un-named half finished hum and drum effort by Bono in the gents toilets backstage at MTV awards 2001", bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, hippygirl, I'm with you all the way on that 1. I think I could force myself to sit through a few U2 concerts.

For all you feckin set-list bitchers, how about you just go to 1 show, and wait for a DIFFERENT TOUR for a different show. WOW, it almost makes sense!
eek.gif

Well as far as scripted goes... thats' what makes it good imo. It's a performance and all good performances come with a well thought out script. That aside there are always surpirses at every gig, no matter how inconsequential.

U2 rocks my world always.

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

I am so sick of hearing people bitch about the setlists...

I only got to see one show, and I was just thrilled to be there...if I could have seen show...even if it was IDENTICAL to the one I already saw...who cares???????? If I could relive that magic, I would...in a heartbeat...

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Sigh

Why is it that whenever someone makes a critisism in this forum, they get murdered for it?

------------------

I dont think you are getting murdered for it. I dont think anyone has been nasty to you in this thread? I think most of us think that your criticism is not valid for this tour. Now if you were saying this about Popmart or Zoo TV you might have more of a point.

They so needed to shake it up so much more - if you see them once of twice, its brilliant and mind-blowing - if you go and see more than 5, it must get so predictable.

I posted this awhile ago in the "Now Departing..." forum.

Now that my Elevation shows are finished, I thought I'd compile a list of songs that I heard in concert, just for kicks. I just got finished, and it is pretty amazing. I attended the following 9 shows, and got to hear the greatest band in the world perform these songs. Thanks U2 for making this an incredible year for me and so many others!!!
Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago 1 - 4 (1st Leg), Chicago 1,2 (3rd Leg), Denver (3rd Leg)

Beautiful Day......... 9
Bullet the Blue Sky......... 9
Elevation......... 9
Kite......... 9
New York......... 9
One......... 9
Pride......... 9
Stuck In a Moment......... 9
Sunday Bloody Sunday......... 9
Walk On/Hallelujah......... 9
Where the Streets Have No Name......... 9
Until the End of the World......... 8
New Year's Day......... 7
I Will Follow......... 6
Mysterious Ways......... 6
The Fly......... 6
With or Without You......... 6
Bad......... 5
In A Little While......... 5
Stay......... 5
All I Want is You......... 4
Desire (Bono + Edge)......... 4
Gone......... 3
Out of Control......... 3
Still Haven?t Found (Electric)......... 3
Wake Up Dead Man......... 3
Discotheque......... 2
Peace on Earth......... 2
Staring at the Sun (Electric)......... 2
Sweetest Thing......... 2
What?s Going On (Full Band)......... 2
11 O?Clock Tick Tock......... 1
All Along the Watchtower......... 1
Angel of Harlem (Acoustic)......... 1
Angel of Harlem (Electric)......... 1
Desire (Full Band)......... 1
Even Better than the Real Thing......... 1
Happy Birthday......... 1
I Remember You......... 1
People Get Ready......... 1
Please......... 1
Staring at the Sun (Acoustic)......... 1
Still Haven?t Found (Acoustic)......... 1
The Ground Beneath Her Feet......... 1
What?s Going On (Bono and Edge)........ 1
Wild Honey......... 1

------------------
Looking for U2 bootlegs?
www.geocities.com/u2trades

[This message has been edited by thehepcat (edited 12-08-2001).]

Why is it that whenever someone makes a critisism in this forum, they get murdered for it?

i don't think i murdered you, but i wasn't really looking. sorry if i did.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Now if you were saying this about Popmart or Zoo TV you might have more of a point.

i don't think they really had a choice but to script these, with the lighting and video montages. they were very limited in what they could do from night to night. i think if anything it is this fact that disappointed them most about popmart, not the concept.

------------------

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I am so sick of hearing people bitch about the setlists...

I only got to see one show, and I was just thrilled to be there...if I could have seen show...even if it was IDENTICAL to the one I already saw...who cares???????? If I could relive that magic, I would...in a heartbeat...

I totally agree!! I am SO sick of the bitching over the setlist, the bullfight, etc. U2 does not expect the same people to see the same shows 25 times. If some do, they should not bitch about repetition. The band puts on every show as an act like every fan is seeing it for the first and only time. In most cases that is true. They can't turn everything upside down to please maybe a couple hundred who see repeat shows. They did a great job with this tour stop nagging! They are not someone's personal jukebox and request line. I have no complaints about the tour.

------------------
~We need new dreams tonight~

They could play Streets and UTEOFTW 4 times back to back and for me that would be a killer show! I also probably would pay to see U2 play showtunes!

------------------
Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash..Mister!

kobayashi, I wasnt criticizing the setlists from Popmart and Zoo TV. I thought they were great and I understand exactly why they were that way. My point was that the Elevation tour had a alot of variety as far as the setlist. Zoo and Popmart did not. So if you are going to criticize a tour for having a static setlist it should be one of those two over Elevation as the setlists were MUCH more static. Elevation had the most variety of any tour U2 has ever done. It is amazing that people criticize them for it IMO.

There were tremendous differences between the first and third legs (didn't see any European shows... sigh...), and there were pretty big differences between third leg shows.

The three third leg shows I saw were about in the same week, and while LA2 and Vegas were similar, they did nothing but get me psyched for LA3, which is about the best show I'd ever seen. I was expecting not to enjoy it, since I'd been up for 48 hours straight, pretty much, but I was dazzled. Out of Control (and Bono singing a snippet of Into the Heart, OMG!!!), adding Mysterious Ways back in... It just fucking ROCKED.

--
I know that this is not goodbye...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom