Elevation rehearsals bootlegg: U2 in prayer and guilt over ticket prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karl

The Fly
I listened to a few of the tracks off of the Elevation Rehearsals bootlegg courtesy of u2bloodredsky.com and had some thoughts to share.

For those unfamiliar with this bootlegg, it is basically a dry run of the show. The sound quality is that of a pretty crappy soundboard - typical of the Elevation tour.

The most interesting aspect of the bootlegg is when Bono invites a pastor, who has supported the band for years, to lead the band in prayer. The pastor reads from Psalm 61 and 116 where he asks, as Bono often does during the tour, to pour out His blessings on the band and the pastor asks everyone to make a toast to God, as Bono does before WTSHNN.

Compared to U2's peers, it is striking to picture the band in prayer asking for God's support during the tour. It feels quite voyueristic to be hearing this private moment and it shows Bono like any other humble person before God.

It also is intersting to note that Bono expresses guilt over the $130 ticket prices and notes that while it is a small token, the band paid for Kentucky Fried Chicken to feed the area poor.

karl

AAWWWW, that's so sweet!
smile.gif

------------------
~some days are better than others~

Of course, depending on how you interpret Bono's comments one could see them as egomaniacal, selfish, and uncaring.

I don't see them that way though, but it could sort of go either way.. except for the kfc thing

If he feels that guilty over the ticket prices, why doesn't he do something about it? It is a bit strange, don't you think?

------------------
boom cha, boom cha.................discotheque!

interesting...it did feel a bit like I was being voyeuristic...but it did help me understand better why bono's recited psalm 116 before streets..thanks for the link!

well I wouldn't of said no to a KFC Chicken Tower! actually make that two, cos after I've had one, I...er... need to have another one and I normally do!

Back
Top Bottom