Elevation DVD Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
U2 LIVE IN BOSTON is set for release on DVD on November 20th in the USA and on November 26th in the rest of the world.

'Elevation 2001- Live From Boston' was shot on June 6th at the Boston Fleet Centre with 20 cameras under director Hamish Hamilton. The quality and content of the release is set to create a landmark in the history of music DVDs.

Disc 1 contains the 1 hour 47 minute full show featuring classics such as Beautiful Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where The Streets Have No Name and With Or Without You.

Disc 2 contains Another Perspective - the full show again but this time with an 'alternate camera' feature in which viewers can compare and contrast the view from the 'Bono cam', the 'fan cam' or the 'Director cam'.

This second disc also features 'Road Movie' - a 5 minute time lapse sequence showing the staging of a rock and roll concert from empty arena to a full arena and back to an empty arena again.

And there are also three bonus tracks including Beautiful Day (live from the Clarence Hotel, Dublin September 2000) and Elevation (live from Miami, opening night of the Elevation Tour, March 2001).

Here's the complete tracklisting for Elevation 2001- Live From Boston

1.Elevation
2.Beautiful Day
3.Until The End of the World
4.Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
5.Kite
6.Gone
7.New York
8.I Will Follow
9.Sunday Bloody Sunday
10.In A Little While
11.Desire
12.Stay (Faraway, So Close)
13.Bad
14.Where The Streets Have No Name
15.Bullet The Blue Sky
16.With Or Without You
17.The Fly
18.Wake Up Dead Man
19.Walk On

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit crap?

I mean, its not bad, but of all the gigs they could have chosen why this one? They only play 19 songs, there's no Discotheque/Staring at the sun, Out of COntrol, Mysterious ways, or one, the last 2 being songs that appeared almost every night of the first 2 legs. Why have they chosen such short gigs, because they aren't representative of what most of the gigs would have been like. It could be so much better.

At least they've got the Fly and Bad, though
smile.gif

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

Well they actually played 22 songs at this show (Myst. Ways, One and People Get Ready) are not incl. for some reason. U2 chose this show because it is Boston and they chose to film the 1st two shows there for commercial release. At the time it was filmed the 22 song setlist they were doing was the standard for the tour. So they probebly felt that these shows would represent the tour well.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 11-16-2001).]

Originally posted by NShaik:
Elevation 2001- Live From Boston' was shot on June 6th at the Boston Fleet Centre with 20 cameras under director Hamish Hamilton. The quality and content of the release is set to create a landmark in the history of music DVDs.

Well, I hope the quality of the live "Stuck" video isn't any indication of the "quality" of the DVD or it won't be much of a "landmark" The end looks like it was filmed by a 4th grader (in focus, out of focus, in focus, out of focus
mad.gif
) It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen from a professional production. A long blurry close-up of Bono is NOT a special effect. It's just sloppy.

The stuff from the NBA looked good though, so I'm hoping it was just an isolated incident. I'm still excited to see the show and relive the experience
biggrin.gif

Now I'm gonna have to go get myself a DVD player, and I'll have to wait for Xmas money for that, so I'll probably have the DVD well before I have something to play it on.
rolleyes.gif
Oh well, at least I won't have to fret about the fact that the closest Best Buy is in Colorado so I can't get it until Dec.
biggrin.gif

so, why did they choose to cut Mesteious Ways, One and People get REady? Those 3 songs kick arse.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee

Mysterious Ways AND One???

What the hell? MW is always one of the best songs in a show and One is... well you know.

This is really disappointing.

At least, we got a DVD...

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

people gat ready rocked from that show....damn its awesom

'you gotta make up ur turn as u go along'

'muscular memory, what a rockstar depends on'...

ahaha woulda been awesome

And WHere is Pride? THey played that at almost every gig they did in the first 2 legs - it should be on the DVD. I was so incredible.

A least we get those extra features on the 2nd disc

------------------

I'm glad we're getting a DVD of U2 in concert, but this wasn't a good show to pick out of all the great performances they did.

VERY poor planning on everyone's part. It's not like they just picked a random show to put to DVD; this was planned for quite some time. U2 knew it too; they should have gone for a more lengthy and comprehensive setlist.

Ultimately though, it won't make much difference. The DVD will still sell, as really only the hard-core fans buy stuff like this. They (we) are going to buy it regardless of what songs we feel might be "missing".

At least, I know I will.

I wouldn't have minded the actual show they chose if they put all the songs they played on the DVD - it just doesn't make any sense - why leave songs off? Did they play them wrong or something? Could they not fit it all the DVD? It doesn't make any sense - its so un-U2 to do something like this - the play pic 'n' mix with the setlists is so against their nature - every second of the concert is precious.

------------------

Actually Pride was not played on the first leg until the 2nd Calgary show. It was then played with some consistency but was not played every night on the 1st leg. It was by no means a "standard" song on the 1st leg. It was played at most of the Euro shows but not all and obviously the DVD had been filmed by that point also.

Do we really need our 4th video version of Pride anyway? It is on Rattle And Hum, Sydney Zoo TV and the Popmart videos. We already have 2 video versions of One also. I agree that the entire show should have been put on the DVD but I dont really have a problem with Myst. Ways or One being taken off if they were going to delete songs. People Get Ready was probebly not put on there because they pulled a fan out of the crowd and even though they had him sign a waiver (supposedly) they probebly did not want to risk it. They did the same thing with Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World on the Sydney video. It was not put on the video because Bono pulled a girl out of the crowd.

Personally I dont think the Mexico City show from Popmart was all that great of a performance. The Santiago and Sao Paulo broadcasts from that tour were much better. So its not like U2 always picks the best show for release. The should have or should release the 2nd Slane show which they also filmed. But I'am happy the DVD is coming out anyway and I'am sure I will love it.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 11-16-2001).]

why leave songs off?
1. because we've already got both those songs on the Zoomerang + POPMart video
2. because they thought they messed them up
3. maybe there wasn't any more room on the c.d. -- I don't know
smile.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

They had probably been planning to film the Boston shows for months in advance. The fact that the first two gigs turned out to be just good (not great) was just a twist of fate. The crew and cameras were already there, and that is the show we get...BUT the second Slane show was also shot with the same crew. Lets hope they give us that show one day!

maybe the multiple angle section of the 2nd disc will have the whole show.
we can hope at least, until we all get it and find out it doesn't.

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

About the Slane2 DVD, well I read somewhere they were gonna include "snippets" of Slane on Disc2 of the Boston DVD, if this is it, then
frown.gif
But maybe it is a teaser, hopefully! I want Slane2!

And I think it's pretty shitty they are cutting those songs from the DVD, MW has a different vibe to it than in Zoo and Pop, but ah well, I am sure it will be so cool! Can't wait!

Got the Walk On DVD today, pretty cool, the 30 second clips from Boston, if thats what the end DVD is like, well, hmmm, we'll see...

The Slane show will most likely be broadcast on TV at some point. Each year the Slane concert (whoever the act is) is usually broadcast. I have seen them on the Trio Network and MTV2 in the U.S. for the last two Slane shows prior to U2 which were Robbie Williams and Bryan Adams. My guess is next fall you will see the U2 2nd Slane show on there. Probebly in Europe before that. The only bad thing is that I know they did not show the full concert for BA or RW so some songs would probebly be cut.

If you want to see Mysterious Ways and One, watch Mexico City and Sydney.....the songs are virually the same. I think that the band wanted to avoid one because it has a different meaning now that they show it with the NY stuff.
If you don't like the defocused crap then watch the song from the different camera angles!

I have to say I'm pretty pissed off about the songs being cut, most especially mysterious ways and one. becuase the version of mysteriuos ways that night is FANTASTIC! it really is in my estimation one of the best live versions of the song, and it's got that different guitar riff at the beginning and everything. argh. i can't see them taking out one due to sept 11th.. that's such an important song these days I think, and a staple of the Elevation tour shows.

IMO there are no good excuses to leave these songs out.

1. Like BTBS or WOWY haven't been on three videos before...
2. The MW version from Boston2 is a really good version. And I actually think it's a big shame to leave One out.
3. We have these songs (MW, One) on crappy VHS, not on excellent DVD...

I'm really curious to hear the official reasons from U2...

Soulrock

[This message has been edited by Soulrock (edited 11-17-2001).]

I can't wait for next weekend! I got a widescreen tv being delivered on Saturday to finally complete my dvd-5:1 surround sound set up then on the Monday the dvd is released! What a day I'm gonna have! gonna be like being there again! (well not Boston but Earls Court for me!)

Cutting "One" is really bizzare. I haven't heard the bootleg from that show but Bono usually gives his speech about debt relief etc during the begining of the tune. Maybe its got something to do with that? You'd think that is one part of the show they would leave in for sure...

I just had a really nice thought.........

I've heard many times now that something from Slane will be on Disc 2, what is it is MW and One?!? Cool! That'd make me alot more satisfied! And well, MW and One were particularly superb at Slane, One in Slane1 was a big dedication to Bob Hewson, it was very special
smile.gif
Anyway, just thinking bout the DVD, its gonna be so cool anyway!
smile.gif

maybe there will be a hidden feature where you can unlock videos and the live songs that were left out.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

the FLY is the big song on the dvd and i cant wait for it.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Elevation 2001- Live From Boston' was shot on June 6th at the Boston Fleet Centre with 20 cameras under director Hamish Hamilton.

Fuck, What ever happened to June 5th, I was there June 5th and at the time this (then HBO, now DVD thing)was supposed to be edited from BOTH June 5th and 6th. So the whole thing is June 6th? or are they just stating it as the 6th? I mean, I'm gonna love the DVD regardless, but does anyone remember this was to be the 5th and 6th?

Originally posted by Swan269:
If you want to see Mysterious Ways and One, watch Mexico City and Sydney.....the songs are virually the same.

IMO, Mysterious Ways in Sydney is the Best EVER..with the belly dancer and the way they stretch out the ending..for me, nothing will ever compare to this version of it....anyway I have to agree with all that believe it should be on the DVD, it definitly SHOULD, there weren't really alot of special effects with this tour, so with the screens in back all coming up with the belly dancers on the screens, then how or why that would be left off of the DVD is very hard for me to comprehend....

Back
Top Bottom