Elevation Boston V.S. Elevation Slane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canadiens1160 said:
Slane. What a motherfucking celebration.

IWF is ruined by the retarded 'ring those bells' interlude that goes on way too long. At least Out of Control from Slane had them doing something useful by thanking people while they were ruining the song.

Fuck the segue into Streets - the performance from Slane itself is 10x, possible 30x better. It's a motherfuckin' freight train by the time Edge kicks in the distortion for the second verse and the camera angle comes in behind the band as you see the crowd jumping in unison.

Stuck has some brilliant guitar work and Bono nails the vocal intro instead of his abortion of an attempt during Boston.

Mysterious Ways with his girl up on stage, Adam looking over smiling, the expressions on the audience members' faces - it's ice cream on the cake.

Beautiful Day with the Goal is Soul outro - Bono is just 100% on top of everything.

Kite is superior from Slane, though probably just because of the circumstances.

Slane by a mile.

I'll take Bono looking like a fish for half the concert over Bono croaking like a frog through half the songs a la Boston.

:bow: agreed with everything you said!

Canadiens1160 said:

Kite is superior from Slane, though probably just because of the circumstances.

It better be! In Boston, it started wrong, I think Bono repeated a verse and got mixed up. It's funny how well they put it back together for the DVD, besides the shots where Bono's laughing, having fucked it up multiple times.

Axver said:
Boston due to The Fly and Gone.

Slane is very, very over-rated.

Exactly. I would add, apart from the best version of Gone and a fantastic version of The Fly, a stunning version of Bullet as well.

Slane is too mellow. How many rock songs were there? The setlist should have been much better.

Slane is over-rated.
Acrobat is over-rated.
U2 are over-rated.
Edge always plays the same thing.
Bono has a big ego.

I will never buy the "crowds in place A are better than the ones in place B" argument.

Never. Never ever.

Especially since you're comparing an arena show to a stadium show, two completely different animals.

That being said, both concerts have their high points:

The Fly, Bullet the Blue Sky, Gone, Elevation, Walk On from Boston

Everything from Slane.

So I'll take Slane, and it has the amazing Unforgettable Fire Documentary, I love that thing.

I have to go with Boston. I like the setlist so much better, and the Boston DVD has some of my favourite performances of a number of songs: Gone, Bad/40/Streets, Bullet the Blue Sky, The Fly. Those tracks alone put it ahead of Slane for me.
Slane has a lot of great moments, particularly with the band members (like toilet paper on Bono's face during New Year's Day, a hat landing on Edge's head during Angel of Harlem, and of course the beachball), but none of the tracks really stand out for me as favourites except for Until the End of the World.
That said, I've watched Boston way more than Slane. I should probably rewatch them both again some time soon though.

And to Axver, Bono's guitar on Boston I Will Follow is the funniest thing ever! Some months back, someone mentioned Boston I Will Follow, and as it had been forever since I'd watched the DVD, I had forgotten that song was even on there, so I decided to watch it. My reaction was: "What is with the guitar?!" Bono is so weird :huh:

Sunday Bloody Sunday from Slane...and Bono's screaming IRA rant from BTBS :drool: ...though the message of BTBS (gun control???) seems a little last minute idea...as far as i can remember its never been one of their activist topics and they havnt mentioned it since

why is slane sbs barely ever mentioned here??? i thought it brought that song back from the dead...they brought back what SBS was about...Ireland...not cutting it with a Bob Marley tune and cutting out the "no mores" sorry I just didnt like SBS from Boston

Last edited:
I love them both. Slane for the crowd :drool: and Boston for the awesomeness of the setlist :drool:

Do I have to pick?

Boston, for Gone, Fly, and Bullet. Though Slane was a more complete show (more cutting & editing in Boston).

Re: SBS on Elevation...there's something about it that just sucks. Seems to slow, maybe a different key too? Vertigo is a bit better I guess but it really hasn't been any good since '87. Even the ZooTV versions seemed to be more "going through the motions" - kinda like how WoWY is now.

Back
Top Bottom