Elevation...Albany

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayernfc

Refugee
Was anyone here at the Elevation show in Albany?....I was just wondering if Bono was as messed up as he said he was, 'cause i haven't heard anything about this before seeing the Elevation DVD...and truely it's hard to imagine(not that I ever want to).

(Sorry if this is an old subject.....:wink:)

I was there! And yes, at the concert he did say he was not feeling well, something about being flat on his back. But it was still an amazing concert, although towards the end you could tell he was suffering.

It was at the Pepsi Arena, that's where Syracuse is playing in the sweet sixteen tonight. Go Orange!

I was at the Albany and Buffalo show...and the Buffalo one (a few days prior) definately blew Albany away...Bono's voice wasn't at his peak ...but he kept on, and still provided an amazing show

I was there, and Bono told us he was feeling sick before Kite. He told us that the show was ours to carry. Later during I Will Follow, he threw in a part where he said "Lift me on your shoulders," I dont know if this was new for Albany or not, he did it in Boston too. Then during Bad, he changed a line from a Stone's song and said "Time is not on my side." Also sang something about the drugs not working. Finally before One, he thanked us for lifting him up, it meant a great deal to him.

He mentioned the next night in Hartford something about how the crowd lifted him up that night.

I hadn't heard about anything being said in Boston until a few months after the concert, and geting the DVD. When I heard it, I was thinking I was losing it, then played that part again, and again.

Bono's voice sounded pretty off that night, and it almost went out during One, but he gave a great performance that night for us. Whenever I need inspiration to carry on through tough times, I can think of what that man gave to us for those 2 hours that night in June.

He has an amazing stage presence that carries him through even when his voice is not......great stories u guys, God knows how many times I cursed those lousy ticket scams that didn't let me catch even one Elevation show.

that's it, I just thought it was something that he made up on the spot. He sang

"Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again"

Last edited:
I was at Albany too. Was my first GA show of the tour and I was right at the front rail in the heart in between Bono and Edge that show and I felt bad for Bono 'cos I could see it in his face that he was struggling and sick as a dog. :sick: And that he did feel bad about it. He did hang in there though...he is a trouper!

Looks like PopArtist and I were standing if not next to each other then quite close..I knew everyone on that rail.....so which one are you PopArtist......I was also on the rail between Edge and Bono. It was amazing albeit sad to sing for Bono during Kite because he wasn't feeling well. I have the sweetest picture (I don't have it scanned but wish I could post it here) of Bono leaning his head on Edge's shoulder during Streets because he was so tired/sick/however he was feeling. I left the show feeling like I'd been hit with a stun gun. It was amazing, I truly could not speak. Bono not feeling well never affected the power of the music for me.
I wasn't at Hartford but my mom was, and she called to tell me Bono thanked Albany for helping him through a bad night. When I heard the bootleg I nearly cried. It was the sweetest thing to say.

Albany was a show I almost didn't go to and I'm so glad I did.

::))

Dawn said:
Looks like PopArtist and I were standing if not next to each other then quite close..I knew everyone on that rail.....so which one are you PopArtist......

Yes Dawn, we certainly do know each other. <g> I have a better known handle which our mutual pal calls me that I can't use here because someone already had it when I registered. <g> I do believe we were standing side by side right next to each other at the Albany rail although we didn't really know each other that show, it was later at 3rd leg NJ and Philly with our pal, we hung out all day in the GA line together!

Anyhow, I remember being quite hoarse after the Albany show because we were all singing to help Bono out. :) Think I also have a similar shot of the photo you're talking about with Bono leaning on Edge, that I took. Lemme see if I can insert it in this post correctly...

336%3C279523232%7Ffp69%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3B57%3D%3C38%3Dxroqdf%3E2323384%3C44248ot1lsi

Yes, it was a show not to skip. :)

Back
Top Bottom