Elevation 3rd leg shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
I've been listening to lots of thses lately, and I cringe every time
Bono screams USA at the start of Walk On. Cheese to the max. :censored:

you know what

I agree with you

look at the lyrics of walk on:

'a singing bird in an open cage/who will only fly for freedom'

that's a lyrical cliche right there. the thing that makes it's work is that bono sounds so sincere when he's singing it, so it doesn't sound bad at all.

and as for the usa thing, well, i have no comment.

MrBrau1 said:
I've been listening to lots of thses lately, and I cringe every time
Bono screams USA at the start of Walk On. Cheese to the max. :censored:

I don't think it's cheesey; Bono has a poetic way of putting things and this is just very direct. It's the opposite to something complicated, making it complicated again. He does this in some of his songs as well - instead of saying something the hard way he says it the very, very easy way. It can be extremely effective!

---

JTH

you mean the ooohs throughout the song? id agree with you there, but im not really sure i know what youre talking about...

I think the big cheese moment (apart from the USA at the beginning of Walk On) was when he made the heart with his fingers. :rolleyes:

Seeing it in person I thought "that's kinda lame, but kinda cool at the same time..." Seeing it on TV for the Superbowl I thought "man, that's cheesy!"

Cheese? No way! He was sweet!

Elevation whoo-oohs cheesy? No way. Think back to the start of the show. We'd been waiting for a long time, and finally, we heard that. Then the band was on stage. Then everyone in the audience was jumping up and down to the 'whoo-oooh!' and the intensity ran through us. It was a great moment. Think back and feel it again!

at the time it wasnt cheese at all, but i suppose in retrospect it could be. i myself dont mind it, at the time it was fine imo

why can't rock bands be "sweet"...u2's ability to be both tender, sweet and yet tough and harder to taste is part of their appeal...why put rock n roll into the masculine, cynical box?

popsadie said:
why can't rock bands be "sweet"...u2's ability to be both tender, sweet and yet tough and harder to taste is part of their appeal...why put rock n roll into the masculine, cynical box?

fine, go listen to coldplay and travis.

I liked it. The "USA" shout, the "woo-hoo" intro to Elevation - both hyping up the crowd and uplifting.

I also didn't know U2 was some super tough uber macho band, musically or personality wise.

I don't really know how the rest of the tour came off , but I was in South Bend for the first show of the 3rd leg a little over a month after Sept. 11th and that show was anything but cheese.....

It's important to remember what was happening in the world at that point in time, as well. It was only one month after 9/11 that they started touring! U2 never cancelled or postponed their tour- people were seeking solace at their shows, and I know and the band knows that a lot of people experience a lot of emotions at their shows. I think this was one way for Bono to express a feeling of unity and support for what Americans were facing at the time. Yeah, I did and do think it's a little cheesy, but I more strongly feel that Bono was saying it to show his support after such a tragedy. During the show this was also when the scrolling names appeared, and maybe it was a way to explicitly say what they meant by displaying the names (again, the support, the recognition of the individuals and the people still affected by the tragedy). So for these reasons for me the cheesey factor is forgiveable for Bono.

Last edited:
Seabird said:

They have a heart. They're not Megadeath either. Maybe U2 isn't the right band for you, you seem critical of most of the things they say and do. Why are you here?

That's what I would like to know. I hate the negativity sometimes on this board.

I never thought of U2 as "badass." That's not their style. They are not wimps either, and much cooler than Coldplay and Travis, 2 bands I loathe. But they are not a bunch of hard cases without feelings. It takes a real band, and a real man, to wear his heart on his sleeve. I love them for it.

Back
Top Bottom