Electrical Storm - U2's Biggest Hit ? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2002, 11:28 AM   #21
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:19 AM
Always nice to hear from the optimists...

Quote:
Originally posted by jick

You can bet everything you own it is tabloid stuff. No way will Electrical Storm be even a mild hit for U2.

The basis of all this is the radio airplay and the fact that U2 had to push the release two weeks early just because a BBC dj played a demo version without the band's consent and causing such a buzz and demand that U2 had no choice but to release it. My view? This is all bullocks and it's all pre-planned.

Bono would never conveniently give as a present a demo copy of U2's new single to a BBC dj without consent of management and the rest of the band. He is not that dumb. This is a well-planned and well-planted marketing gimmick. Just like the leakage of Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man from POP. Just like the lost laptop stunt for ATYCLB.

I think Electrical Storm could have been a potential U2 hit, if only it didn't have such a slow beginning in the orbit version and if only Bono would just refrain from using that thinning falsetto as the chorus. His thinning shallow falsetto is just a parody of the rich deep authoritative falsetto of the ZOO TV era.

Predictons about Electrical Storm being big are off base. That song is dead on arrival. I haven't seen the video but I don't think any video can rescue that song.

Cheers,

J
My you're cynical.

Old 09-19-2002, 01:42 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Re: Re: Electrical Storm - U2's Biggest Hit ?

Quote:

You can bet everything you own it is tabloid stuff. No way will Electrical Storm be even a mild hit for U2.

The basis of all this is the radio airplay and the fact that U2 had to push the release two weeks early just because a BBC dj played a demo version without the band's consent and causing such a buzz and demand that U2 had no choice but to release it. My view? This is all bullocks and it's all pre-planned.

Bono would never conveniently give as a present a demo copy of U2's new single to a BBC dj without consent of management and the rest of the band. He is not that dumb. This is a well-planned and well-planted marketing gimmick. Just like the leakage of Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man from POP. Just like the lost laptop stunt for ATYCLB.

I think Electrical Storm could have been a potential U2 hit, if only it didn't have such a slow beginning in the orbit version and if only Bono would just refrain from using that thinning falsetto as the chorus. His thinning shallow falsetto is just a parody of the rich deep authoritative falsetto of the ZOO TV era.

Predictons about Electrical Storm being big are off base. That song is dead on arrival. I haven't seen the video but I don't think any video can rescue that song.

Cheers,

J

"Electrical Storm" is an awesome U2 song. I can't stop listening to it, and I can't stop singing it. The falsetto is fine, Bono's voice is great in this song. Especially during the bridge, where he yells "HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!" I am in awe that he pulled that off, and I hope this song gets played live sometimes. I have rarely felt this way about a new U2 song. I only became a fan in 1995, so everything before that was not new to me. The only 2 other songs to make me feel this way were "Kite" and "Walk On", so this song is awesome.

Old 09-19-2002, 01:47 PM   #23
The Fly

Bono could barely pull off a falsetto on All That You Can't Leave Behind, so to hear him in full flight again on Electrical Storm is ace. I disagree completely that his falsetto sounds thin on this song, in fact I think its quite strong and drawn out! This is great for a guy who is in his 40s and whos been singing night after night on huge global-buggering tours over the last 20 years or so.

To sum up: E.Storm will be a big hit.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:49 PM   #24
War Child

ES will not be a big hit and will easily forgotten.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:50 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Whats The Story?

To sum up: E.Storm will be a big hit.
I couldn't agree more. It's definitely one of the best U2's put out in quite awhile.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:57 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 06:19 AM

Quote:

Cheers,

J
This is such crap, I'm sorry. You're entitled to your opinion of course. but I do think the song will be a hit. Bono sounds amazing and even if the song wasn't good- now that I've finally seen the video- well the video could rescue the song.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:21 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:19 PM
THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE IS FAKER THAN FAKE!!!
Why doesn't anybody realize or say it? It has clearly been written by some sensationalist or promoter (NOT intending that the thread starter is one!) and that too in poor amateurish language. "Elevations tour"

And Jick, you never stop do you??
Old 09-19-2002, 02:27 PM   #28
Refugee

ES will debut #1 in the UK, not the US.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:56 PM   #29
Acrobat

I see that it went from #23 to #14 on the Modern Rock Charts. That sounds pretty good considering it hasn't been released yet. The version they play in the video reminds me more of Zooropa than ATYCLB, anyone else agree?
Old 09-19-2002, 04:08 PM   #30
Gunslinger

Local Time: 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
ES will debut #1 in the UK, not the US.
And don't forget that it will also debut #1 in Canada (as most U2 songs do) and in about 10 other countries.

As for Bono's falsetto "thinning out?" You are such a fool, to worry like you do! (pun intended)

His falsetto is fantastic and ES proves it!
Old 09-19-2002, 04:13 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Hello,

In the US, the most important chart to watch is the Billboard Hot 100. Other charts exist, but the Billboard Hot 100 is the one that really, really really counts. Based on this chart ES already outperformed Elevation and Walk On as the song debuts at #77 this week. Both Elevation and Walk On did not chart on the Hot 100 (all info on ATYCLB singles was compiled by doctorwho and you can find more of it in the Peeling Of Those Dollar Bills forum).
As the song is gaining so much momentum this early I think the track will have a good future on the US charts, maybe becoming their biggest hit in years (Stuck reached #52, Beautiful Day #21, Discotheque #10 to name some successes).

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-19-2002, 05:26 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

[...overly negative thoughts deleted...]

His thinning shallow falsetto is just a parody of the rich deep authoritative falsetto of the ZOO TV era.

Cheers,

J

I thought the falsetto sounded great. I guess my ears are "thinning and shallow" too.

To reiterate what PopMartijn wrote, E-Storm debuts at #77 on the U.S. Hot 100 and is now at #14 on the U.S. Modern Rock chart. This already makes it a bigger hit than:

Another Day, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Fire, Gloria, A Celebration, Two Hearts Beat as One, The Unforgettable Fire, All I Want Is You, Miss Sarajevo, If God Will Send His Angels, Elevation and Walk On.

If E-Storm manages to reach the Top 60 (very possible), then it will be a bigger hit than:

When Love Comes to Town, The Fly and The Sweetest Thing.

In other words, in one week, it already is a bigger hit than many other U2 classics. If it shows any improvement, it will pass several other classics.

Therefore, your prediction of the song being DOA is happily wrong.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:40 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

it therefore would be ineligible for a spot on the top 100 here. (unless imports can chart...)
Actually, songs in the U.S. Top 100 mostly chart by airplay. A song might hit #1 based on airplay alone! Sales count for a small part of a song's success - this is because CD single sales are often very weak. While there are always exceptions (like for a huge break-out or highly anticipated song), often the top selling CD might just sell 5,000 copies.

Keep in mind, "Beautiful Day" was NOT released as a CD single in the U.S., yet it reached #21 on the Hot 100.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:44 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Re: Re: Re: Electrical Storm - U2's Biggest Hit ?

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

Therefore, your prediction of the song being DOA is happily wrong.
Happily wrong ...what a nicely coined phrase. I always love it when U2 exceeds my expectations. Maybe I should start raising my bar of expectations?

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP