Electrical Storm - U2's Biggest Hit ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello,

In the US, the most important chart to watch is the Billboard Hot 100. Other charts exist, but the Billboard Hot 100 is the one that really, really really counts. Based on this chart ES already outperformed Elevation and Walk On as the song debuts at #77 this week. Both Elevation and Walk On did not chart on the Hot 100 (all info on ATYCLB singles was compiled by doctorwho and you can find more of it in the Peeling Of Those Dollar Bills forum).
As the song is gaining so much momentum this early I think the track will have a good future on the US charts, maybe becoming their biggest hit in years (Stuck reached #52, Beautiful Day #21, Discotheque #10 to name some successes).

C ya!

Marty

Re: Re: Electrical Storm - U2's Biggest Hit ?

jick said:

You can bet everything you own it is tabloid stuff. No way will Electrical Storm be even a mild hit for U2.

[...overly negative thoughts deleted...]

His thinning shallow falsetto is just a parody of the rich deep authoritative falsetto of the ZOO TV era.

Predictons about Electrical Storm being big are off base. That song is dead on arrival. I haven't seen the video but I don't think any video can rescue that song.

Cheers,

J

I thought the falsetto sounded great. I guess my ears are "thinning and shallow" too. :D

To reiterate what PopMartijn wrote, E-Storm debuts at #77 on the U.S. Hot 100 and is now at #14 on the U.S. Modern Rock chart. This already makes it a bigger hit than:

Another Day, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Fire, Gloria, A Celebration, Two Hearts Beat as One, The Unforgettable Fire, All I Want Is You, Miss Sarajevo, If God Will Send His Angels, Elevation and Walk On.

If E-Storm manages to reach the Top 60 (very possible), then it will be a bigger hit than:

When Love Comes to Town, The Fly and The Sweetest Thing.

In other words, in one week, it already is a bigger hit than many other U2 classics. If it shows any improvement, it will pass several other classics.

Therefore, your prediction of the song being DOA is happily wrong. :yes:

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:

it therefore would be ineligible for a spot on the top 100 here. :D (unless imports can chart...)

Actually, songs in the U.S. Top 100 mostly chart by airplay. A song might hit #1 based on airplay alone! Sales count for a small part of a song's success - this is because CD single sales are often very weak. While there are always exceptions (like for a huge break-out or highly anticipated song), often the top selling CD might just sell 5,000 copies.

Keep in mind, "Beautiful Day" was NOT released as a CD single in the U.S., yet it reached #21 on the Hot 100.

Re: Re: Re: Electrical Storm - U2's Biggest Hit ?

doctorwho said:

Therefore, your prediction of the song being DOA is happily wrong. :yes:

Happily wrong ...what a nicely coined phrase. I always love it when U2 exceeds my expectations. Maybe I should start raising my bar of expectations?

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Back
Top Bottom