Electrical Storm on ATYCLB ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Soar

War Child
There has been some criticism of ATYCLB for its track order such as Stuck In A Moment being the second song. The original track order was :

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck In A Moment
Peace On Earth
Kite
New York
In A Little While
Wild Honey
When I Look At The World
Grace

Some people feel that the album has too many slow paced and mid tempo songs. This version of Electrical Storm may only be a demo version. In a way it sounds like Summer Rain let loose. Now that we?ve heard Electrical Storm would people like to have seen it on ATYCLB ? And how would people make some other changes ?

Beautiful Day
Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
Walk On (Hallelujah Mix)
Kite
Electrical Storm (Final Version)
New York
In A Little While
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Wild Honey
When I Look At The World
Falling At Your Feet
Grace

Stuck In A Moment ? Peace On Earth - Summer Rain ? Stateless ? Always ? Big Girls Are Best ? Don?t Take Your Guns To Town

I know that some people are saying that Electrical Storm would go well on ATYCLB, but I disagree. I think it has a different feel to it and would be out of place.

Some additional tweaking :

Beautiful Day
Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
Walk On (Single Version or Hallelujah Mix)
Kite
In A Little While
Electrical Storm (Final Version)
New York
When I Look At The World
Falling At Your Feet
Always

Stuck In A Moment ? Wild Honey - Peace On Earth ? Grace - Stateless ? Summer Rain ? Big Girls Are Best ? Don?t Take Your Guns To Town

If I was U2, This is what would have done with the material that they wrote:

1. Elevation
2. Walk On (Hallelujah mix (but with solo and "home...")
3. Electrical Storm (Final Version)
4. In a Little While
5. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
6. Beautiful Day - a better mix too, that sounds more like it does when played live (perhaps with the "Goal is Soul" addition from
7. Big Girls Are Best (redo, a playable version)
8. Stuck in a Moment
9. New York (better mix, more like live version, with loads of vibrato)
10. When I Look at the World
11. Kite (with Just Bono Edge Larry + Adam, No fuckign studio mixing bullshit."

Singles:

Beautiful Day:
B-sides:
CD1
Summer Rain
Always (with 1 change - in the chorus, when the Edge sings "Always" it wouldn't be sample, or mixed, or whatever, it would be just him belting it out, in a similar way to the live version of Gone)
CD2
Discotheque (live)
Miami (live) - simply because its a glorius live song that wasn't played at Mexico City, and its a real shame

Electrical Storm
CD1
Peace on Earth (just Bono + Edge)
Grace
CD2
Beautiful Day (live at CD:UK studio)
Elevation "

Elevation
CD1
All the Remixes a la Even Better than the Real Thing
CD2
Don't take your Guns to town
Electric Storm (live from an abstract gig)

Walk On
Special live EP a la Radiohead - I might be Wrong
1. Discotheque/Staring at the Sun
2. Out of Control
3. Kite
4. Please
5. Bad
6. The Fly
7. Bullet the Blue Sky
8. Peace on Earth/Walk On

Man, I have way too much time on my hands

the ground beneath her feet , electric storm , falling at your feet ???? are you nuts , they simply do not belong to this album .

Well in a way they don't belong on the album, because they don't sound similar to anything else on the album.

However, on the other hand, does Elevation sound like anything else on the album? no. Does it belong on the album? yes. I don't think any song can not belong on the album. It can sound out of place, and uncharacteristic of that album, but is that really a bad thing? look at So Cruel. look at The First Time. Look at Exit + If your wear That Velvet Dress. And Van Dieman's land. And Drowning Man.

These are all songs which I say do not fit in with the other tracks on their respective albums, but I think that's great because it gives an album variety. Its great to have a couple of tracks on an album that contradict everything else, it makes the album really interesting and exciting. Tracks that you listen to and think "Huh. Is this still the same album?"

If I were U2, I would have put 2 shots of Happy, 1 shot of Sad on Pop, instead of the Playboy Mansion, because even though it doesn't fit in, it doesn't matter, cause its still a brilliant tune that could only have added to Pop.

I'd rather have U2 release an album made of songs that like they all belong to different albums than an album where all the songs sound the same (*cough* Travis *cough*)

That's my 2 cents anyways.

If your saying that don't belong on the album because they're crap then fair enough.

Elevation belongs to the album , actually it's a typical ATYCLB song incomplete with terrible lyrics ;) :yes:

So Cruel , Velvet dress , exit , the first time , van diemens land and drowning man all fit great for their albums , btw Rattle & Hum is a soundtrack-compilation .

well Two shots of happy , one shot of sad is a good tribute to Sinatra , but as pop track --> :barf: :sick: :down: , playboy mansion is sexy , modern and cool enough

Discotheque !!!!!!

BOOM-CHA!!

Do u feel loved ?!

:dance:

pinkfloyd said:
So Cruel , Velvet dress , exit , the first time , van diemens land and drowning man all fit great for their albums[/B]

Yeah, they fit great, but they don't sound like anything else on the album (IMHO)

all i know is how i think the first 5 tracks should be. everything after that is a mess:

ground beneath her feet
elevation
beautiful day
new york
stuck

'TGBHF' was wasted on an incredible soundtrack that no one bought because it's for the most boring movie ever made - it should have been on the 'ATYCLB.'

MOFO

this great , beautiful soundtrack was far better then ATYCLB , it was superb . the film , well the film is quite good , it's not a blockbuster ya know , it's a serious film , not a bubble shit like ATYCLB .:mad:

the film was full of dotes rambling pretentious drivel:down::angry:

but the soundtrack was remarkable :up:, even with a song that sounded out-of-place on it ('TGBHF') :scratch:

'ATYCLB' = bubble shit. sad but true:mad:

NShaik said:
If I was U2, This is what would have done with the material that they wrote:

1. Elevation
2. Walk On (Hallelujah mix (but with solo and "home...")
3. Electrical Storm (Final Version)
4. In a Little While
5. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
6. Beautiful Day - a better mix too, that sounds more like it does when played live (perhaps with the "Goal is Soul" addition from
7. Big Girls Are Best (redo, a playable version)
8. Stuck in a Moment
9. New York (better mix, more like live version, with loads of vibrato)
10. When I Look at the World
11. Kite (with Just Bono Edge Larry + Adam, No fuckign studio mixing bullshit."

Might as well call it "POP 2" while you're at it :p

I don't believe Stuck is a bad song but i feel it needed something. I like the acoustic version. In the early Spring there was the J Mix of Stuck floating around which combined the acoustic version with album version. I was very impressed with it. Live versions often included an emotional wail by Bono at the beginning of it which i thought was great. The BBC Raio Promo show version comes to mind.

WOW!

U2Soar said:
I don't believe Stuck is a bad song but i feel it needed something. I like the acoustic version. In the early Spring there was the J Mix of Stuck floating around which combined the acoustic version with album version. I was very impressed with it. Live versions often included an emotional wail by Bono at the beginning of it which i thought was great. The BBC Raio Promo show version comes to mind.

I can't believe it! Someone actually liked the mix I did. I basically just cut and paste the acoustic and studio version ...but there were some parts i didn't fancy too much. I thought it had way too much of the acoustic in it. I will probably try to do another "remix" sometime.

Cheers,

J

J - it was excellent. Can you provide a link for those who missed it the first time around ? If you feel you can improve it then Go For It !

Hi NShaik ? good track order ! In fact your track order has inspired me to make a change. I wouldn?t have included Big Girls Are Best but I can see your reasoning as it ?beefs up? the album. And I agree with your idea that the remaining songs still could have been included by being released on the singles.

Elevation (The minute of the Influx Mix used to open the concerts merged with Tomb Raider Mix)
Beautiful Day
Walk On (Single Version / Nigel Goodrich)
Kite
In A Little While
Electrical Storm
New York
When I Look At The World
Falling At Your Feet
Always

Songs Released On The Singles :
Stuck In A Moment ? Wild Honey - Peace On Earth ? Grace - Stateless ?? Summer Rain - Big Girls Are Best ? Don?t Take Your Guns To Town

I feel U2 did excellent job with their ATYCLB singles in the sense that they mixed new songs ? remixes ? and live songs. For the sake of dreaming ? what if U2 released 4 songs on each single (Part 1 and Part 2) with 2 new songs 1 Remix or Instrumental and 1 Live song ! We could have gotten all these songs which nicely fit on 1 CD

Joy
Summer Rain
Wild Honey
When The Stars Go Blue
Satellite Of Love (Danny Saber Remix)
Never Let Me Go (Opening narration edited out)
L ?Incontro
Big Girls Are Best
Summer Wine
Don?t Take Your Guns To Town
Stateless
Slide Away
Stuck In A Moment (J Mix of album and acoustic versions)
What?s Going On
Peace On Earth
Grace

Danospano said:
Leave the damn album alone. It's not YOURS. Enjoy it for what it is!

:up: Agree with you! They did the album like they thought they had to do it! If you like it, fine, if you don't like it, you always can make your own CD at home with your favorite songs ;)

U2Soar, you are changing 2 albums! Don't touch the Million Dolar Hotel, is perfect like that! :mad:

Thank you :D

Hi Danospano ? what?s your opinion of ES ? Would you have liked to seen it on the album ? What?s your opinion of ATYCLB ? its track order ? its songs ? Are there songs you skip or change the order?

Did you see the thread ?why I think ATYCLB sucks the big one? and the other threads last month where there was a lot of bashing mixed in with constructive criticism of ATYCLB ? My attempt with this thread is to enable a more positive discussion of the album. Most of us have CD-R burners or tape decks or have access to family and friends that do. Instead of skipping songs or adjusting the play list we have the ability to create version that we prefer.

I never stated that I hate the album or any of songs. One way I look at it is that one I?m presenting here may be a version that I play at the beginning of the day. It has more ?energy? to get going in the morning. Next I might take some of songs left over ? B-Sides ? and some songs from the side projects during the recording sessions of the album and during the Elevation Tour and make a second version. It could be a ?quieter? for a relaxing drive home in the evenings.

Sometimes it may be possible to gain a new appreciation for particular song by placing in a different place. We are all aware that Stuck is about Michael Hutchence?s suicide. In the past I played the song Stateless and the duet between Hutchence and Bono Slide Away before Stuck and followed by New York. The despair of Stateless and the anguish of Slide Away gave me a new appreciation for the pain of Stuck and the ?mid-life crisis? of New York.

There may be some people who would create a version of ATYCLB that included the Walk On from the Tribute To The Heroes CD. It does not necessarily mean that they hate or don?t like the album version. Some fans may have not listened to album for awhile and this discussion may inspire some to make a version that causes a new enjoyment of it.

In the future I can see U2 releasing box sets with all sorts of songs that we haven?t heard. I imagine it will be accompanied with extensive liner notes where the band members will comment on songs that were going to make it on to a particular album and songs that were going to be dropped. It does not mean that a different perspective on album is a bashing of it. I think it will be exciting and challenging. Are you familiar with the JT Double Album Theory ? In interviews Bono and The Edge stated that they were seriously considered releasing it as a double album. Bono said that With Or Without You doesn?t make sense without Luminous Times and Walk To The Water and that the Sweetest Thing is meant to follow Trip Through Your Wires. In the book Into The Heart it relates how near the end Trip Through Your Wires replaced Heartland. Does all of this mean that U2 were dissatisfied and dislike JT and that we should to ? No. But we can make a CD-R or a tape in which we acquire a new and different perspective and pleasure of it.

Hi Pinkfloyd ? in a number of interviews around the release of The Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack Bono stated that TGBHF and Stateless were meant for ATYCLB but they felt it already had too many slow songs (which may explain the inclusion of New York instead for example ? a more rocking song). In the book Into The Heart Daniel Lanois stated that Falling At Your Feet was seriously considered for ATYCLB. As for not musically fitting ? ATYCLB already is quite a diverse album of styles ? Beautiful Day (a mix of U2?s 90s sound with The Edge?s early 80s sound) ? Elevation (in the past many fans commented on how it could have fit on POP) ? In A Little While and Stuck In A Moment (many have commented on their 60s Motown feel) ? Wild Honey (many have commented on how it sounds like a Beatles or Beach Boys tune) ? etc. If anything TGBHF has more in common musically (power ballads) with Kite and When I Look At The World than let?s say Wild Honey.

Hi David ? I don?t believe NShaik?s or my track order in any way resembles a comparison to POP. I can see a connection with Elevation and in the case of NShaik?s inclusion of Big Girls Are Best. The credits for it list the same producers and engineers from the POP sessions so that one is rather obvious.

Some additional tweaking to my presentation :

It?s been 2 years since the release of ATYCLB and we had the time for the album to thoroughly sink in. We have seen and heard the songs transformed in concerts. We have heard all the B-Sides. Seen the videos and Elevation Live From Boston. Would U2 fans like to tweak the album in any way ? There has been some criticism of ATYCLB for its track order such as Stuck In A Moment being the second song. The original track order was :

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck In A Moment
Peace On Earth
Kite
New York
In A Little While
Wild Honey
When I Look At The World
Grace

Some people feel that the album has too many slow paced and mid tempo songs. Now we have Electrical Storm. People have commented on how in a way it sounds like Summer Rain let loose. Others have pointed out some similarities to Walk On (?Let's see colours that have never been seen - Let's go to places no one else has been?). Would people like to have seen Electrical Storm on ATYCLB ? And how would people make some other changes ? Do people prefer the single versions of Elevation and Walk On over the album versions ? In a number of interviews around the release of The Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack Bono stated that TGBHF and Stateless were meant for ATYCLB but they felt it already had too many slow songs (which may explain the inclusion of New York instead for example ? a more rocking song). TGBHF was released on the British - Japanese and Australian versions ATYCLB though I disagree with its placement at the end of the album. In the book Into The Heart Daniel Lanois stated that Falling At Your Feet was seriously considered for ATYCLB. Falling At Your Feet has the same dual message of Grace ? a love song and song about faith. People have commented on how Wild Honey sounds like a Beatles or Beach Boys song. From the same era Falling At Your Feet reminds of a Simon And Garfunkel type of sound. I find it shares in common with Grace a lullaby by type of atmosphere. Early in the recording sessions of ATYCLB Brian Eno spoke about their goal of making a joyful album. I see Always as ending the album on a more energetic and joyful note.

Elevation (The minute of the Influx Mix used to open the concerts merged with Tomb Raider Mix)
Beautiful Day
Walk On (Single Version / Nigel Goodrich)
Kite
In A Little While
Electrical Storm
New York
* Stuck In A Moment ( the J Mix of album and acoustic versions)
When I Look At The World
Falling At Your Feet
Always

* If U2 were to release a 12 song album like AB and POP

Songs Released On The Singles :
Stuck In A Moment ? Wild Honey - Peace On Earth ? Grace - Stateless ?? Summer Rain - Big Girls Are Best ? Don?t Take Your Guns To Town

I feel U2 did excellent job with their ATYCLB singles in the sense that they mixed new songs ? remixes ? and live songs. For the sake of dreaming ? what if U2 released 4 new songs on each single (Part 1 and Part 2) with 2 B-Side songs 1 Remix or Instrumental and 1 Live song ! Hypothetically we could have gotten all these songs that could of nicely fit on 1 CD (and 1 CD of live songs and 1 CD of Remixes)

Joy
Summer Rain
Wild Honey
When The Stars Go Blue
Satellite Of Love (Danny Saber Remix)
Never Let Me Go (Opening narration edited out)
L ?Incontro
Big Girls Are Best
Summer Wine
Don?t Take Your Guns To Town
Stateless
Slide Away
Stuck In A Moment (J Mix of album and acoustic versions)
What?s Going On
Peace On Earth
Grace

Back
Top Bottom