"Electrical Storm isn't that good"??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2002, 11:33 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:54 PM
"Electrical Storm isn't that good"???

I have to admit that I don't have cable nor satellite television right now, and therefore haven't seen nor heard Electrical Storm in it's full-blown, slickly produced existence. Someone told me it wasn't that good, but I think it is superb! Why all of the whining?

Even if ya don't like the new tunes, U2 always saves their best for the next studio-cd......in my opinion.

Old 11-06-2002, 08:40 AM   #2
Acrobat

Nah, its not that good...

Old 11-06-2002, 10:53 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Re: "Electrical Storm isn't that good"???

Quote:
Originally posted by bonofnattic
Why all of the whining?
I don't know...Do people have sharp metal sticks up their asses?
Old 11-06-2002, 11:58 AM   #4
The Fly

Well I think it is excellent a lot of bands would do anything to write a song like Electrical Storm and it fits nicely onto the Best Of.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:13 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:54 PM
or maybe they just dislike the tune

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie
I don't know...Do people have sharp metal sticks up their asses?
thank you wertsie.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 01:54 PM
I Electrical Storm and Hands too!!! (I don't get the complainers either!!!)
Thanks U2 for the new tunes!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:32 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: or maybe they just dislike the tune

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

thank you wertsie.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why people come to a U2 FAN message board and all they do is piss and moan about what they don't like. People are entitled to their own opinions, and of course not every fan is going to like every song, but it just seems like there's been more than enough negativity around here lately. I don't need to come to a U2 board to hear negative shit about U2. I get enough of that in my everyday life!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:58 PM   #8
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
I don't need to come to a U2 board to hear negative shit about U2.
I agree
(to put it mildly)
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 11-06-2002, 05:31 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I agree
(to put it mildly)
Me too.

Old 11-06-2002, 05:56 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think the problem is, people get really hyped up and excited over a new song - and this naturally puts expectations through the roof. It's difficult to seperate oneself from the expectation element, and to treat a new song the same way as you would with any other U2 song. Think about it, there are many songs that U2 have done in the past that you might not like that much, but it doesn't matter because they aren't "new". Somehow, we apply a different measuring stick to new songs for some reason. Why must a new song always be amazing? Surely, if every new song was amazing, every song U2 have ever recorded would also have to be amazing, because they were all new once, too.

Anyway, enough of my bantering...

As for E-Storm, I think it's a very well crafted song, but nothing that really stands out, in my opinion. It's a nice idea, it has some great guitar lines, the vocals are very good, but it just doesn't grab me. And that's okay!
Old 11-06-2002, 09:12 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
I think the problem is, people get really hyped up and excited over a new song - and this naturally puts expectations through the roof. It's difficult to seperate oneself from the expectation element, and to treat a new song the same way as you would with any other U2 song. Think about it, there are many songs that U2 have done in the past that you might not like that much, but it doesn't matter because they aren't "new". Somehow, we apply a different measuring stick to new songs for some reason. Why must a new song always be amazing? Surely, if every new song was amazing, every song U2 have ever recorded would also have to be amazing, because they were all new once, too.

Anyway, enough of my bantering...

As for E-Storm, I think it's a very well crafted song, but nothing that really stands out, in my opinion. It's a nice idea, it has some great guitar lines, the vocals are very good, but it just doesn't grab me. And that's okay!
Interesting theory.

I find that most of the time I never completely LOVE a U2 song the first time I hear it. It's basically, "Yay! New U2! I like it!" or "Yay! New U2! It's...interesting..." and then it's sort of like a drug that you shoot into your veins with a needle (no, I don't do this! ). It slowly makes its way in with each new listen, and eventually it reaches the heart.

I don't know. Maybe that's not the best analogy. It sounded better in my head. But still...Yeah, the main point is, I never expect to LOVE a U2 song when it's new. At least, not right away. With my all-time favorite songs, it's taken awhile for them to sink in.

Just something to think about...
Old 11-07-2002, 06:16 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Alot of U2 fans love everything that comes out. I'm not like that. If i dont like it i dont like it. I wont go tell the whole world but i'll tall you if you ask me.

ES is alright nothing groundbreaking, which i've come to expect. But last night i got into this arguement with a guy who's like that new U2 song suck. i said it was alright niothing great. He knew i was a U2 fan and he kept on me. So i finally said to him, "Do i look like Bono's fucking manager? I dont write the songs, i like their music, ES isnt that great, who gives a fuck" It shut him up!
Old 11-07-2002, 07:36 PM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Re: Re: or maybe they just dislike the tune

Quote:

Sorry, but I just don't understand why people come to a U2 FAN message board and all they do is piss and moan about what they don't like. People are entitled to their own opinions, and of course not every fan is going to like every song, but it just seems like there's been more than enough negativity around here lately. I don't need to come to a U2 board to hear negative shit about U2. I get enough of that in my everyday life!
I think in reality if you look around the number of people that say good things about U2 and their music in general far outweighs the number that don't.

However, it is the bad things we remember over the good, no matter what the margin.

In my case, I have stated some disappointment with a some of the remixes and 'hands', but overwhelmingly I love and defend u2's music.

As far as 'electrical storm', I really like it. My only possible critique would be to have put the orbit mix on the b sides and the other one (i dont know what you call it) with the a sides. However, I like both versions. Great song, I would rate it an 8, if we are supposed to do that.

Cheers
Old 11-07-2002, 08:04 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I love U2 and adore most of their work, but I certainly don't consider the band above criticism. I think this place would be pretty dull if we all said we loved everything they did and never expressed any negative opinions. Of course if someone does NOTHING but complain about U2 I do kind of wonder why they are here at all, but there really aren't very many posters like that here. I think we should consider ourselves lucky. I've been on U2 message boards where U2 haters come in just so they can bash the band and their fans. I've seen very little of that here.

Uh, back to the actual topic - I LOVE Electrical Storm.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:26 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I ES! I like the version of it on the b-sides cd best, but it's a special song to me and I love it!
Old 11-08-2002, 01:28 AM   #16
Kid A

wink

I like the song, but what's the big deal if other people say they don't like the song?
Old 11-08-2002, 07:32 AM   #17
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
I like the song, but what's the big deal if other people say they don't like the song?
nothing, as long as you are a premium member

Old 11-08-2002, 07:52 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by little boy blue

nothing, as long as you are a premium member

I bet the owner of this site will really love this one
Old 11-08-2002, 12:23 PM   #19
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by really
I bet the owner of this site will really love this one
really?

pssss it was intended as a joke,

no, really !

Old 11-08-2002, 07:58 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
So i finally said to him, "Do i look like Bono's fucking manager? I dont write the songs, i like their music, ES isnt that great, who gives a fuck" It shut him up!
haha bonoman
Shall we just call you McGuiness from now on?