Electrical Storm(BBC Leak Version) vs Electrical Storm(either Official version)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I've been listening to the original BBC Leak version of Electrical Storm, and I have to say that it is far and away the best version of Electrical Storm. I don't know why U2 changed it before officially releasing it but they did change it and they changed it drastically. How?

There were ALL KINDS of guitar parts in the BBC Leak version that just aren't in the official version. There a whole lot of guitar NOTES in the BBC version, and in the official versions the NOTES are replaced with CHORDS, making the whole thing less interesting. I'm not just talking about the chorus. During the verses on the BBC version, Edge has a beautiful riff going in the background that JUST PLAIN ISN'T THERE on the official versions. I'm not even going to try to name all the places in the song where there were guitar parts that were either heavily watered down or removed altogether because I'd be listing every part of the song.

I like the official versions of Electrical Storm, but the BBC Leak version is far and away the best version.

The BBC leak version is pretty good. I'd say it's the best of the three too.

I thought the official version on the main Best of disc was the best because the pulsating intro, which sort of sounds like the effect the band used on the So Cruel takes from the Salome bootlegs, seems to convey the feeling of frustration and held back feelings. The end reminds me of Staring At The Sun and overall works better than the endings for the other versions.

If I could put in a vote for the "official" versions of the song, the BBC leaked version just has too many different musical ideas running throughout it. Musically it sounds like a pile of different songs spliced together and to me is all rather unfinished and lacking in unity. I prefer the more finished nature of the official versions. Whatever, I don't care much for the song anyway... too cheesy... U2 playing up to being U2.

wasn't the bbc leak the "electrical" version that ended up on the bonus disc for the best of 1990-2000 to whatever?

david said:
wasn't the bbc leak the "electrical" version that ended up on the bonus disc for the best of 1990-2000 to whatever?

Nope. The one on the Best Of 1990-2000 bonus disc is Electrical Storm itself, the one on the Best Of 1990-2000 main disc is the William Orbit remix, and the one leaked on BBC radio was an earlier, somewhat different demo.

Axver said:

Nope. The one on the Best Of 1990-2000 bonus disc is Electrical Storm itself, the one on the Best Of 1990-2000 main disc is the William Orbit remix, and the one leaked on BBC radio was an earlier, somewhat different demo.

Haven't heard the leaked version so I will trust your opinion Axver and try and search for it.
Up until now I have thought the William Orbit version was the best thing sliced bread, so I would be delighted to find a better version :drool: :drool: :drool:
the original, which you correctly point out,is on the bonus disc, doesn't do a lot for me, the Orbit version though is :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: I had just broken up with who I had thought was the love of my life when that song came out, it got me through some tough moments and also helped me indulge of months of self pity. Electrical Storm rules!!

IS the leak the full on electric version ? thats the version i got

The BBC has always been my favorite. It's got those triplets, or whatever they are, that Edge plays at the very end. I think in the other versions, he just plays chords.

It's a good version, but there's just too much going on in it.

I still like the William Orbit version the best, though they're all excellent. It's a very inspired song. :)

I like the one on the Bsides disc the best but this is a decent version. I think I have heard this before, but it doesnt sound like a finished product. I am glad they didnt put this version on the album but its good for collectors.

In the leaked version I loved the acoustic guitars that opened the song. I liked the 'official' version, but the leaked version started out so tenderly and then built up into a (little) frenzy to end the song. Far and away the best version of the song.

The guitar melody in the chorus was so good...I've always wondered why they decided against using it. My vision of a perfect Electrical Storm is the William Orbit mix with the omitted guitar parts included.

I prefer the leaked version, I got it from a friend who HATES U2(yea ironically ) and this was the only song he liked... I had never heard of it (was tagged Ullrick mix, who's Ullrick?) and I loved it!
then I got the double disc best of 1990-2000, and it wasn't on it... I never knew what version it was, till the thread surfaced in MOTI a little while back...
I still love this version to death, it's much rawer than the other two versions.

Back
Top Bottom