Electrical Storm: "...a magnificent song that begins slowly and ends with a roar."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Electrical Storm: "...a magnificent song that begins slowly and ends with a roar."

Okay, doesn't this pretty much describe about half of U2's entire catalogue? 'Bad' would match this description; so would many of their "rock ballads". Any guesses as to what we'll get with this song? Apparently the song ends with "crystalline" drums and guitars. Can't wait to hear it! (Oh, and for the record: I think this song will be hard-rocking. Well, at least at the end!)

Don't get me excited Moose Boy.

You know what Pandas are like when they are excited.

year , well i remember , 2 weeks before official release of ATYCLB , some dude here or DJ or from record company , said that new album is very hard rocking and surprise punk there is ..aha ..what we got finally... was quite an opposite thing :censored: :scratch:

martha said:
Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!
me too! we should have a crosses fingers smily, although it'll probably look weird.

aaaaaaaaaaanyway...methinks bono has a habit of describing their upcoming albums totally off from what they really are. i remember when bono said their next album (he said this in 95) was gonna be a rock-and-roll album. he's been saying it ever since. where is it? :huh:

ooh i like that..

mixed with art..very cool pinkfloyd, very cool.

i read that too, i can only theyre right.

imagine if its along the lines of fake plastic trees, now that would be cool. ofcourse, it wouldnt be a ripoff but i mean heavy guitars at the end and all ya, enough sorry.

what does crystalline guitars and drums at the end mean?

just so you know, ive read another quote from a person saying the song has a very slow tempo.

:|

:|||||||||||||||||||!@!!!!!!!!!

what would u know?
u have absolutely no cred now
i mean..
look at that cutesy pie avatar
dork!

cant you see?? im turning into u2...a kinder more loving guy that wants everyone to love me even if that means going against my artistic integrity.

but you're showing so much heart and sweetness, you're sure to have lots of girls over our house now!!! will you still be a dynamo in the sack though? I mean, everyone will love you, but won't your art suffer?

shove "art" up your ass, i want sales at the record stores.

wanderer, i was serious about the person saying that it is slow in tempo.

do you like that?

i hope u2 eventually turns into a fullblown aerosmith.

*cough

could they sing about angels anymore?

i would take mortigo tempo

but it's U2 man, let's take whatever we get!

believe and all that shit, they prognosticated all this, I remember Bono saying during the ATYCLB pre-tour kiss-up that they didnt want to become a dinosaur band that just sold records and tickets that relied on their past, so I guess they figured they needed some more pop tunes to generate commercial interest again

do we as yet know where that quote assuming it is a quote came from?

speaking of quotes

he's talking about waste management ppl and that fx the whole dam planet

dont wory folks he will get the help in needs

zooshadow wishing u a fine sat

wertsie said:
Wait...where's that quote from?
It's from a story that I found at U2Achtung.com. It's been posted already in the 'Electrical Storm' video thread. Here's the link to the story:
http://youtwo.net/news_archives.adp?newsid=21063
Here's the story:

YouTwo.net: U2achtung.com reports from the set of U2's new video

August 22, 2002
U2achtung.com reports that Bono and Larry met with fans on the beach of Eze during a break of the filming of U2's new video
Wednesday afternoon. Having completed several scenes during the afternoon, Larry indicated to the fans that the "real" filming
would begin later that evening.

Around 9 p.m., a fireworks show was seen in the sky over Bono's home to honor Bono and Ali's twentieth wedding anniversary.
There were a large number of security guards surrounding the home, preventing fans from seeing too much of the video shoot.
Part of the set was visible from a distance; the other was protected by a wall surrounding the home.

U2achtung.com staff could hear the song being played for the filming. They describe it as a "magnificent song that begins slowly
and ends with a roar."
It was played repeatedly.

During the shooting, fans could see Paul McGuiness, Ali, Morleigh, Ann, Jordan, and Eve watching the filming of the video. Paul
McGuinness approached the fans and asked that no one take photos of the filming.

The video shoot went on through the night, with the band taking only a few breaks of no longer than 5 minutes.

Around 1 a.m., a small number of fans were allowed to move closer to the set, where they could actually see the band. Bono wore
a black leather jacket and sunglasses. The Edge wore a white cowboy hat, t-shirt, and jeans. Adam and Larry were dressed "as
usual." Bono was visibly exhausted, but took the time to acknowledge the fans with a wave. When the band wrapped up the
video shoot, Adam came over and spoke to the fans briefly.

Read U2achtung.com's report (in French) at http://www.u2achtung.com/01/news/index.php3.

Last edited:
on the money

I think you are absolutely when you observe, that description kind of covers most of the things U2 have done.But the first song that came to mind after reading the description, TGBHF.I think it begins rather timidly and then ends with a roar.The outro fits the description of "crystalline" guitar.That said, I think its going to be more edgy, cause neither Eno or Lanois is producing it.(Hopefully)

This is my take.Take out Eno and Lanois and you will have more edgy U2.I was reading an old interview of the band on Hotpress.com and Bono was saying Eno and Lanois "calms" U2.I think if ATYCLB would have been a non Eno/Lanois thing it would have fit the description of "sound of four men", cause it sounds like that in Live.But I thinks it's good for U2 to have a balance of classic production and alternative feel.Let the War of the Fans begin :lmao:

Last edited:
Re: on the money

ishkash said:
I think you are absolutely when you observe, that description kind of covers most of the things U2 have done.But the first song that came to mind after reading the description, TGBHF.I think it begins rather timidly and then ends with a roar.The outro fits the description of "crystalline" guitar.That said, I think its going to be more edgy, cause neither Eno or Lanois is producing it.(Hopefully)

This is my take.Take out Eno and Lanois and you will have more edgy U2.I was reading an old interview of the band on Hotpress.com and Bono was saying Eno and Lanois "calms" U2.I think if ATYCLB would have been a non Eno/Lanois thing it would have fit the description of "sound of four men", cause it sounds like that in Live.But I thinks it's good for U2 to have a balance of classic production and alternative feel.Let the War of the Fans begin :lmao:
I don't know Ishkash, Eno and Lanois also produced Achtung Baby, after all -- one of their most "edgy" albums to date. I do agree with you, though, that without Eno and Lanois, we wouldn't have gotten ATYCLB. However, it wouldn't just be in a production sense. We wouldn't have gotten the same songs, either. Bono has said repeatedly in various interviews, that just having Lanois in the room, heightens the performance, and heightens the type of material being made. And Without Eno, 'Beautiful Day' would have been a totally different song, as would 'In A Little While' and 'Stuck' and 'Elevation', etc, and not just because of their production. On many of the songs on ATYCLB, it is their sound, almost as much as anything else, that define -- that are part of the construction of the songs -- and you take away that element, and you've taken away part of the building blocks to those songs. In that regard, ATYCLB is an organic record, as it has been stemmed from the actual production end of things as much as anything. Just my opinion, of course.

Re: Re: on the money

Michael Griffiths said:

I don't know Ishkash, Eno and Lanois also produced Achtung Baby, after all -- one of their most "edgy" albums to date. I do agree with you, though, that without Eno and Lanois, we wouldn't have gotten ATYCLB. However, it wouldn't just be in a production sense. We wouldn't have gotten the same songs, either. Bono has said repeatedly in various interviews, that just having Lanois in the room, heightens the performance, and heightens the type of material being made. And Without Eno, 'Beautiful Day' would have been a totally different song, as would 'In A Little While' and 'Stuck' and 'Elevation', etc, and not just because of their production. On many of the songs on ATYCLB, it is their sound, almost as much as anything else, that define -- that are part of the construction of the songs -- and you take away that element, and you've taken away part of the building blocks to those songs. In that regard, ATYCLB is an organic record, as it has been stemmed from the actual production end of things as much as anything. Just my opinion, of course.

Well its all true.Eno and Lanois is the most important thing that happened to U2, since they decided to leave shalom to pursue a career in rock n roll business.What I am saying is Eno and Lanois complete U2 and hence in the process take out that imperfection that causes rock n roll hunger.Rock music is not a territory of satisfied folks, there has to be certain rebeliouness to it.Now how does that relate to the relams of production?

U2 is the most successful band in which none of its member is a virtuoso.They learned when they were perfroming and have been improving all the way.Still they are not your perfect band, but somehow they manage the spark which makes songs to work.Lets take Beautiful Day, its a cut and paste job of probably three different kind of songs.The verse and chorus are totally off (I am talking with a generic perception of rock music) and the middle eight which is a sort of geniousness.But without Eno or Lanois that wouldnt have worked.Not only these two folks challenge the band but also tightens some of the lose ends.Not only they are the directors of the movie, but they also do the very special cameos.The difference between POP and ATYCLB is of timing.eg Songs like Miami and New York are thematically and musically pretty much similar.When played live both have the same structure, but sound totally differnt with studio treatment.While New York captures that gothic feel of the city, Miami struggles for something extra, that final punch per se.So there is no doubt that Eno and Lanois are the best.Their contribution is legendary.

But when we are talking of rock and rockness, I think U2 needs to try something else.The composition (not the production) with Eno and Lanois is of classic nature.Being the perfectionist they are, the song tends to have a classic feel.When the song becomes a classic it becomes a pop song regardless of the original genre.I feel ATYCLB has the similar usage of keyboards in quantity as POP, but the timing of the sequences are near perfect and hence they sound melodic, thus pop-ish.eg Kite.So its the inherent nature of their work that makes it melodic.Its not that U2 go into studio and say lets write a rocker or a political one, I think they jam togeather and build on some inspirational moments.Danny L helps them see the place where they want that song to go, while Eno makes them use the best vehichle to reach that place.But in the way it gets a bit too perfect to rock.Personally I dont mind any type of U2 music as long as its good music.But when fans are seeking rock type of music, I think it would be very hard for U2 to produce that while working with greats who knows how to see beyond the limitations of the music.

Zoomerang96 said:
imagine if its along the lines of fake plastic trees, now that would be cool.

That's actually the first song I thought of when I heard that description too.

since the band described the song as such, it means it'll be sloooooow in the vein of, say, one, or super rocking like ebttrt. they can't seem to describe their music accurately anymore. :wink:

originally by Ishkash

I think it would be very hard for U2 to produce that while working with greats who knows how to see beyond the limitations of the music.

I totally agree in that for a long time (Achtung-POP)-U2 tried to work outside of those limitations that they have as a band. In "Behind" they have clearly said they wanted to work with their strengths and not explore their shortcomings. (shortcomings is their word not mine) Either way for me its exciting. I thinkg that the band will venture a little further away then the last album just because they NEVER repeat themselves. U2 will work with a different producer (Orbit?) but Storm and Hands could be an indicator of the next direction that the band wants.

Last edited:
Re: Electrical Storm on radio

mike63 said:
within the next hour, on BBC Radio 1 !!!!!

ya gotta be kidding me...

are you listening? taping? converting it to mp3 format?

thank you! :D

Is it just me...does it remind anyone else of Summer Rain? I think the song is nice. I'm sure the real release will sound better than the mp3 version.

Back
Top Bottom