Electrical Storm: "...a magnificent song that begins slowly and ends with a roar." - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2002, 02:43 AM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 11:35 PM
ta mg
u neva let me down

Old 08-24-2002, 01:09 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:35 PM
Re: on the money

Quote:
Originally posted by ishkash
I think you are absolutely when you observe, that description kind of covers most of the things U2 have done.But the first song that came to mind after reading the description, TGBHF.I think it begins rather timidly and then ends with a roar.The outro fits the description of "crystalline" guitar.That said, I think its going to be more edgy, cause neither Eno or Lanois is producing it.(Hopefully)

This is my take.Take out Eno and Lanois and you will have more edgy U2.I was reading an old interview of the band on Hotpress.com and Bono was saying Eno and Lanois "calms" U2.I think if ATYCLB would have been a non Eno/Lanois thing it would have fit the description of "sound of four men", cause it sounds like that in Live.But I thinks it's good for U2 to have a balance of classic production and alternative feel.Let the War of the Fans begin
I don't know Ishkash, Eno and Lanois also produced Achtung Baby, after all -- one of their most "edgy" albums to date. I do agree with you, though, that without Eno and Lanois, we wouldn't have gotten ATYCLB. However, it wouldn't just be in a production sense. We wouldn't have gotten the same songs, either. Bono has said repeatedly in various interviews, that just having Lanois in the room, heightens the performance, and heightens the type of material being made. And Without Eno, 'Beautiful Day' would have been a totally different song, as would 'In A Little While' and 'Stuck' and 'Elevation', etc, and not just because of their production. On many of the songs on ATYCLB, it is their sound, almost as much as anything else, that define -- that are part of the construction of the songs -- and you take away that element, and you've taken away part of the building blocks to those songs. In that regard, ATYCLB is an organic record, as it has been stemmed from the actual production end of things as much as anything. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 08-24-2002, 03:45 PM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Re: Re: on the money

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

I don't know Ishkash, Eno and Lanois also produced Achtung Baby, after all -- one of their most "edgy" albums to date. I do agree with you, though, that without Eno and Lanois, we wouldn't have gotten ATYCLB. However, it wouldn't just be in a production sense. We wouldn't have gotten the same songs, either. Bono has said repeatedly in various interviews, that just having Lanois in the room, heightens the performance, and heightens the type of material being made. And Without Eno, 'Beautiful Day' would have been a totally different song, as would 'In A Little While' and 'Stuck' and 'Elevation', etc, and not just because of their production. On many of the songs on ATYCLB, it is their sound, almost as much as anything else, that define -- that are part of the construction of the songs -- and you take away that element, and you've taken away part of the building blocks to those songs. In that regard, ATYCLB is an organic record, as it has been stemmed from the actual production end of things as much as anything. Just my opinion, of course.
Well its all true.Eno and Lanois is the most important thing that happened to U2, since they decided to leave shalom to pursue a career in rock n roll business.What I am saying is Eno and Lanois complete U2 and hence in the process take out that imperfection that causes rock n roll hunger.Rock music is not a territory of satisfied folks, there has to be certain rebeliouness to it.Now how does that relate to the relams of production?

U2 is the most successful band in which none of its member is a virtuoso.They learned when they were perfroming and have been improving all the way.Still they are not your perfect band, but somehow they manage the spark which makes songs to work.Lets take Beautiful Day, its a cut and paste job of probably three different kind of songs.The verse and chorus are totally off (I am talking with a generic perception of rock music) and the middle eight which is a sort of geniousness.But without Eno or Lanois that wouldnt have worked.Not only these two folks challenge the band but also tightens some of the lose ends.Not only they are the directors of the movie, but they also do the very special cameos.The difference between POP and ATYCLB is of timing.eg Songs like Miami and New York are thematically and musically pretty much similar.When played live both have the same structure, but sound totally differnt with studio treatment.While New York captures that gothic feel of the city, Miami struggles for something extra, that final punch per se.So there is no doubt that Eno and Lanois are the best.Their contribution is legendary.

But when we are talking of rock and rockness, I think U2 needs to try something else.The composition (not the production) with Eno and Lanois is of classic nature.Being the perfectionist they are, the song tends to have a classic feel.When the song becomes a classic it becomes a pop song regardless of the original genre.I feel ATYCLB has the similar usage of keyboards in quantity as POP, but the timing of the sequences are near perfect and hence they sound melodic, thus pop-ish.eg Kite.So its the inherent nature of their work that makes it melodic.Its not that U2 go into studio and say lets write a rocker or a political one, I think they jam togeather and build on some inspirational moments.Danny L helps them see the place where they want that song to go, while Eno makes them use the best vehichle to reach that place.But in the way it gets a bit too perfect to rock.Personally I dont mind any type of U2 music as long as its good music.But when fans are seeking rock type of music, I think it would be very hard for U2 to produce that while working with greats who knows how to see beyond the limitations of the music.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:44 PM   #24
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
imagine if its along the lines of fake plastic trees, now that would be cool.
That's actually the first song I thought of when I heard that description too.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:50 PM   #25
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

since the band described the song as such, it means it'll be sloooooow in the vein of, say, one, or super rocking like ebttrt. they can't seem to describe their music accurately anymore.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:16 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:35 AM

Quote:
originally by Ishkash

I think it would be very hard for U2 to produce that while working with greats who knows how to see beyond the limitations of the music.
I totally agree in that for a long time (Achtung-POP)-U2 tried to work outside of those limitations that they have as a band. In "Behind" they have clearly said they wanted to work with their strengths and not explore their shortcomings. (shortcomings is their word not mine) Either way for me its exciting. I thinkg that the band will venture a little further away then the last album just because they NEVER repeat themselves. U2 will work with a different producer (Orbit?) but Storm and Hands could be an indicator of the next direction that the band wants.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:44 AM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 01:35 PM
Electrical Storm on radio

within the next hour, on BBC Radio 1 !!!!!
Old 08-25-2002, 04:36 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

wink Re: Electrical Storm on radio

Quote:
Originally posted by mike63
within the next hour, on BBC Radio 1 !!!!!
ya gotta be kidding me...

are you listening? taping? converting it to mp3 format?

thank you! :D
Old 08-25-2002, 06:05 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:35 AM

Is it just me...does it remind anyone else of Summer Rain? I think the song is nice. I'm sure the real release will sound better than the mp3 version.