Electric Co. vs. Entire Zooropa Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalkOnTheEdge

The Fly
If you could have one or the other what would it be? Is one song - Electric Co. - better than an entire album - Zooropa? I say yes. A resounding 'yes'.

The live Electric Co. showcases U2 at it's finest. It shows them for what they do best - ROCK. Edge rips it up with perhaps his best guitar work ever. From the Cry intro, to the main verse, to the solo, to the rousing ending this is Edge at his best. The song is high energy from start to finish. If this song can't get you fired up then nothing will.

Meanwhile, Zooropa is made up of bizarre experimental shit that completely misses the point on what makes this band so great. Zooropa is not U2. I don't know what they were trying to prove with this one.

So if you could only choose one, Electric Co or the entire Zooropa album, which would you rather have in the U2 catalog?

A big vote for Electric Co here.

You fail to realize that U2 have always been experimental. But to answer your question...Zooropa. I personally think it's one of their best.

:lol:

Zooropa. I hardly even think I need to explain. Zooropa has a number of good songs and The Electric Co. is ONE good song. Many good songs opposed to one good song...I think I'll take the album.

You do realise it gets tiring when people harp on and on about the same thing time and time again, don't you? We get it. You think Zooropa is a pile of shit. You don't need to tell us five thousand times over. It's bloody annoying.

GibsonGirl said:

You do realise it gets tiring when people harp on and on about the same thing time and time again, don't you?

I had a feeling you'd say that, but the point wasn't to necessarily bash on Zooropa. It'san attempt to see if a bona fide classic song like Electric Co means more to people than an album that doesn't begin to represent the real U2.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

I had a feeling you'd say that, but the point wasn't to necessarily bash on Zooropa. It'san attempt to see if a bona fide classic song like Electric Co means more to people than an album that doesn't begin to represent the real U2.

Yes, Electric Co is a bona fide classic but so are Lemon, Stay and Zooropa (the song). So Zooropa obviously wins. Just get over the fact that you don't like Zooropa when so many others do. It is cool if you don't like it but just let it go.

Last edited:
WalkOnTheEdge said:

I had a feeling you'd say that, but the point wasn't to necessarily bash on Zooropa. It's an attempt to see if a bona fide classic song like Electric Co means more to people than an album that doesn't begin to represent the real U2.

You're reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealllly biased, dude. :|

Zooropa by a lightyear.

BTW, no one album represents U2. THAT'S why they're so incredibly amazing. And why you should buy every album. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Zooropa. I hardly even think I need to explain. Zooropa has a number of good songs and The Electric Co. is ONE good song. Many good songs opposed to one good song...I think I'll take the album.

Exactly. I don't even know how you can compare one song against an album. :shrug:

Bonochick said:

Exactly. I don't even know how you can compare one song against an album. :shrug:

Well, not so fast. If somebody has to choose between one kick-ass song and a so-so album they are luke warm on, then sure, one song can definitely be put up against an album. I just happened to pick Electric Co. But what if it was Streets or Bad? Hell I'd take Streets over the entire HTDAAB in a second. I'm a big fan of many songs on HTDAAB but I'd give them all back in favor Streets.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone else votes The Electric Co.

Then maybe you guys can make a bunch of Zooropa-hating-babies.

The anti-Zoobaby! :ohmy:

Uh-oh. Better get your anti-flame suit on.

Can we vote for a tie? I can't pick between these two.

I'll take Electic Co over Zooropa.

Electric Co makes #14 on my U2 top song list. The First Time is my highest ranked Zooropa song at #46, though I still love the song.

Outside of The First Time, Stay, and Babyface, I could lose the rest of the album.

Advantage Electric Co.

WalkOnTheEdge said:
If you could have one or the other what would it be? Is one song - Electric Co. - better than an entire album - Zooropa? I say yes. A resounding 'yes'.

The live Electric Co. showcases U2 at it's finest. It shows them for what they do best - ROCK. Edge rips it up with perhaps his best guitar work ever. From the Cry intro, to the main verse, to the solo, to the rousing ending this is Edge at his best. The song is high energy from start to finish. If this song can't get you fired up then nothing will.

Meanwhile, Zooropa is made up of bizarre experimental shit that completely misses the point on what makes this band so great. Zooropa is not U2. I don't know what they were trying to prove with this one.

So if you could only choose one, Electric Co or the entire Zooropa album, which would you rather have in the U2 catalog?

A big vote for Electric Co here.

Wow, you must have some photographic memory there, if you can remember the whole Zooropa record well enough to compare it like this, considering you apparently threw it in the garabge shortly after you got it in 1993 and haven't owned a CD copy since.

Electric Co. rocks, but I pick Zooropa.

And, for the record, you are the one missing the point about what makes(made?) U2 so great: It was their balls, their willingness to not conform to anything and to try new things with their music, to 'fuck up the mainstream'. That's what makes(made?) U2 so great.

Zooropa IS the real U2 to me - Artistic, innovative, a completely immersive music and multimedia experience.
I like all of their stuff but 91-97 will always be U2s creative peak to me...

I wouldnt say Zooropa is a piece of shit, but EC is better than any song on Zooropa and by far, so I will pick Electric Co.

I choose The Electric Co. as well. After seeing it live last October, there's no going back. This song is the quintessential early U2 song for me (meaning anything before The Unforgettable Fire). Zooropa is an amazing album and all, but live is where they live, and Zooropa just can't beat The Electric Co.

Re: Re: Electric Co. vs. Entire Zooropa Album

namkcuR said:

And, for the record, you are the one missing the point about what makes(made?) U2 so great: It was their balls, their willingness to not conform to anything and to try new things with their music, to 'fuck up the mainstream'.

I can admire their balls to try something new, I have no problem with that. But having the balls to try something new shouldn't automatically mean that what they tried was great, does it? And again, this isn't about slamming Zooropa, it's really irrelevant to the question at hand. I can promise you I'll never again make another post bashing that album. But do you love the album because the songs are so good or do you love it because it represents a show of balls by the band?

And apparently I'm not nuts about choosing one song over an entire album because I see several others didn't hesitate to choose Electric Co as well. Thanks for your support! :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Electric Co. vs. Entire Zooropa Album

WalkOnTheEdge said:

But do you love the album because the songs are so good or do you love it because it represents a show of balls by the band?

Neither. I love it because the songs are fucking brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom