Electric Co. vs. Entire Zooropa Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anybody that has the audacity to state what they say the real U2 should be or are is an elitist. Every U2 album is U2 in every way some of you may not think so but from Boy to Bomb its all U2...you may not like it all but thats the way it is.

Yahweh said:
Anybody that has the audacity to state what they say the real U2 should be or are is an elitist.

Easy, big fella. Let's not take this too serious. I don't think ANYBODY around here is an elitist because they do or do not like a particular album.

Plenty of people hate ATYCLB. Plenty of people hate Bomb. Plenty of people hate Zooropa. None of them are elitists...let's not get carried away.

I love ATYCLB, I like Bomb, I'm luke warm on Rattle and Hum, and I hate Zooropa. That makes me an elitist? I don't think so. I think it makes me objective.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

It's an attempt to see if a bona fide classic song like Electric Co means more to people than an album that doesn't begin to represent the real U2.

This is what Yahweh was talking about.

bsp77 said:

This is what Yahweh was talking about.

So then I guess there are hundreds of elitists in dozens of other threads about ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Because there are literally hundreds of people around here that think everything post 2000 is not 'real' U2. 'Elitist' is the wrong word. There is nothing elitist about not bowing to the altar of everything U2 puts out. It's simply a matter of likes and dislikes.

And by the way, what the hell is so wrong with saying a particular song, sound, or album does not represent the 'real' whoever?

When the Dave Matthews Band released "Everyday" 5 years ago there was an outcry by long time fans. That outcry was because the band released an album that didn't represent everything they had been to that point. There was a lot of truth to that. Is that really a big deal?

When Led Zeppelin released Led Zeppelin III there were many fans upset that they strayed from the "Zeppelin sound". Does that make them elitists? Of course not.

C'mon, let's not take ourselves or this band too serious.

Last edited:
This is dumb. Zooropa of course. One song or an entire album. Gee I wonder. Stay, Zooropa, Numb and lemon are all better songs than the Electric Co. in my opinion.

Where the Streets Have No Name or Achtung Baby. :rolleyes:

WalkOnTheEdge said:
If you could have one or the other what would it be? Is one song - Electric Co. - better than an entire album - Zooropa? I say yes. A resounding 'yes'.

The live Electric Co. showcases U2 at it's finest. It shows them for what they do best - ROCK. Edge rips it up with perhaps his best guitar work ever. From the Cry intro, to the main verse, to the solo, to the rousing ending this is Edge at his best. The song is high energy from start to finish. If this song can't get you fired up then nothing will.

Meanwhile, Zooropa is made up of bizarre experimental shit that completely misses the point on what makes this band so great. Zooropa is not U2. I don't know what they were trying to prove with this one.

So if you could only choose one, Electric Co or the entire Zooropa album, which would you rather have in the U2 catalog?

A big vote for Electric Co here.

I disagree; Zooropa represents everything I LOVE about U2. Sometimmes when you get trapped in the slip stream, you have to take it to the overground.

I choose Z.

having said that I agree with everything you said about the electric co.

I wonder how many of the people ridiculing the idea of choosing a single song over an entire album would feel the same if it were October vs. Lemon/Discotheque/Mofo/Gone/Stay?

CTU2fan said:
I wonder how many of the people ridiculing the idea of choosing a single song over an entire album would feel the same if it were October vs. Lemon/Discotheque/Mofo/Gone/Stay?

Start the thread and you'll get your answer....October would get crushed.

I gotta say, though, I thought there was some decent support for Electric Co here. I thought there'd be a bit more, but afterall this is a U2 fan site and it's loaded with fans of Zooropa.

I'm with you on Electric Co. being better.

GibsonGirl said:
You do realise it gets tiring when people harp on and on about the same thing time and time again, don't you? We get it. You think Zooropa is a pile of shit. You don't need to tell us five thousand times over. It's bloody annoying. [/B]

People bash on HTDAAB and ATYCLB over and over, no one stops them.

Last edited:
If you had said Eleven O' Clock Tick Tock (live version) I would have taken it in stead of the Zooropa album. But Zooropa, Lemon and Stay are on level with Electric Co so I can't agree with you on this one.

I would say if you want to compare 'Electric Co' to the best song on Zooropa, it would lose. 'Stay' is not only a classic U2 song, but it's also one of the most beautiful songs ever written. It's been performed live by other big name artists. So even song for song - and forgetting the entire Zooropa album for a minute - I can't say I could pick 'Electric Company' with a clear conscience.

And they are both great live, both for different reasons. So not only does 'Stay' beat 'Electric Co', but then you have songs like 'Zooropa', 'Lemon' and 'The First Time' to contend with. This is all just too much for 'Electric Co' to beat. 'Streets' and 'One' might be able to topple them, but even then it's close. 'Stay' on its own is close, almost right up there with those songs as well.

Michael Griffiths said:
I would say if you want to compare 'Electric Co' to the best song on Zooropa, it would lose. 'Stay' is not only a classic U2 song, but it's also one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

It's all just a matter of opinion and there is no right or wrong answer, but on this one you couldn't be more wrong. :wink:

Stay over Electric Co.? A sweet little ballad over an in-your-face electrifying rock song? C'mon, Electric Co. eats it for lunch. And I an a HUGE fan of Stay (Boston DVD version), but it's no Electric Co. I think you need to go back and listen to Under A Blood Red Sky.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

It's all just a matter of opinion and there is no right or wrong answer, but on this one you couldn't be more wrong. :wink:

Stay over Electric Co.? A sweet little ballad over an in-your-face electrifying rock song? C'mon, Electric Co. eats it for lunch. And I an a HUGE fan of Stay (Boston DVD version), but it's no Electric Co. I think you need to go back and listen to Under A Blood Red Sky.
LOL, great album it is, Under a Blood Red Sky. I have the Red Rocks video as well.

Anyway, I think you need to go back and get a live recording of 'Zooropa' (the song) if you really want to RAAAWWK. Amazing tune...I wish they had played it more than just a couple times.

Also, I don't think that just because a song is "in your face" it means that it's a better live experience. Otherwise we would all believe 'Elevation' is a better live song than 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. (I hope you don't believe it is! :wink: )

By the way, have you listened to the ZooEuropa version of 'Stay' (from Dublin)? One of U2's finest live moments ever.

Michael Griffiths said:

By the way, have you listened to the ZooEuropa version of 'Stay' (from Dublin)? One of U2's finest live moments ever.

I'm sure it is. Whenever I burn a U2 disc for myself I almost always include Stay from Boston. That being said, U2 could play in my backyard for my birthday party and I'd still take Electric Co over Stay in a heartbeat. :rockon:

Man, if you only heard the Dublin 93 version (full band), you probably wouldn't ever listen to the Boston version again. The way Bono changes the ending melody during the ooh ohhs, aahhh hhaas, singing not down, but up... and Edge's guitar licks :drool:

IrishDawg said:
I'm with you on Electric Co. being better.

People bash on HTDAAB and ATYCLB over and over, no one stops them.

Someone should. That gets bloody annoying.

Michael Griffiths said:
Man, if you only heard the Dublin 93 version (full band), you probably wouldn't ever listen to the Boston version again.

I'd love to hear that version but for my likings I really don't think anything could top the stripped down Boston DVD version. Acoustic and vocals, that's all that song needs. :up:

Back
Top Bottom