Electric Co. vs. Entire Zooropa Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Electric Co. is one of many songs I'd take over the Zooropa album...

The arrogance of the "90s U2 is the best and if you don't agree you're wrong" crowd around here is staggering. I suppose it's because they're in the majority on this board so they've gotten comfortable...but I think some of that lot need to look around outside Interference and realize that in the grand scheme of things the majority of U2 fans & music fans in general prefer earlier U2.

And if that's not enough, check out the setlists of the last 2 tours...see many Zooropa or Pop tracks? Even the band doesn't seem to hold those 2 records in high esteem; what does that tell you?

I don't think them not playing tracks from POP or Zooropa mean they hate those albums?:huh:

and another thing we are comparing one track to one entire album that is downright idiotic IMO

Last edited:
Re: Re: Electric Co. vs. Entire Zooropa Album

namkcuR said:
And, for the record, you are the one missing the point about what makes(made?) U2 so great: It was their balls, their willingness to not conform to anything and to try new things with their music, to 'fuck up the mainstream'. That's what makes(made?) U2 so great.

No. Completely wrong.

It's their songs that make them great. You're sucking on the tit of attitude and posture.

Re: Re: Re: Electric Co. vs. Entire Zooropa Album

MrBrau1 said:

No. Completely wrong.

It's their songs that make them great. You're sucking on the tit of attitude and posture.

Yep, it's the songs. The high quality of them AND the diversity of them. The fact that they can make an Electric Co AND a Lemon AND hit them both out of the fucking park is what makes U2 great.

WalkOnTheEdge said:
If you could have one or the other what would it be? Is one song - Electric Co. - better than an entire album - Zooropa? I say yes. A resounding 'yes'.

I say no. A resounding 'no'.

On the other hand were you to say compare one song say Bad, Streets, With or without you, One, All i want is you, lemon, a sort of homecoming, running to stand still and many more, to the whole of October, then I would say yes. A resounding 'yes'.

I don't know if I prefer one song to the album, but I would take Electric Co over any song on Zooropa. You can't really say that a song is better than an album. It might be better than the individual songs but not the entire album.

Re: Re: Electric Co. vs. Entire Zooropa Album

jonnytakeawalk said:

I say no. A resounding 'no'.

On the other hand were you to say compare one song say Bad, Streets, With or without you, One, All i want is you, lemon, a sort of homecoming, running to stand still and many more, to the whole of October, then I would say yes. A resounding 'yes'.

That's cool and I'm glad you made that statement. More than one post in this thread called me idiotic that I would choose one song over an entire album. You're actually supporting my case that it's not so crazy because you're saying you'd take Streets over all of October. I don't think anyone would give you shit for that. But for some reason people around here like to be incredibly defensive of Zooropa.

I realize many of my previous posts in other threads have bashed Zooropa and maybe that's the reason some jumped all over me. That's understandable. But I only picked Zooropa because I believe it has the least amount of good songs and I wanted to see if a classic standard such as Electric Co could beat it out.

I think it's because you referred to Zooropa a few times as "not a real U2 album". Kinda knocks your argument score to well below zero. Trade a song for an album? Sure. I'd keep Lemon in exchange for the entire Bomb.

There's a lot of depth to the Zooropa album, lyrical and musical, and it always suprises me that people would bash that album because it's so radically different from what they assume U2 should be as well as represent.

That album contains some of the best lyrics Bono has ever written and some of the best production from Eno and Lanois and CO. Seriously.

From Zooropa to the Wanderer the album really is such a journey. I remember being 16 years old when this came out and I had a clunky discman (cd version of the walkman) and I would listen to this album every night in bed with my headphones on listening to the album and taking in the lyrics and all the sounds.

It's such a wonderful album.

david said:
There's a lot of depth to the Zooropa album, lyrical and musical, and it always suprises me that people would bash that album because it's so radically different from what they assume U2 should be as well as represent.

That album contains some of the best lyrics Bono has ever written and some of the best production from Eno and Lanois and CO. Seriously.

From Zooropa to the Wanderer the album really is such a journey. I remember being 16 years old when this came out and I had a clunky discman (cd version of the walkman) and I would listen to this album every night in bed with my headphones on listening to the album and taking in the lyrics and all the sounds.

It's such a wonderful album.

Agree with you 100% David, except that Lanois wasn't involved with Zooropa.

CTU2fan said:

The arrogance of the "90s U2 is the best and if you don't agree you're wrong" crowd around here is staggering. I suppose it's because they're in the majority on this board so they've gotten comfortable...but I think some of that lot need to look around outside Interference and realize that in the grand scheme of things the majority of U2 fans & music fans in general prefer earlier U2.

And if that's not enough, check out the setlists of the last 2 tours...see many Zooropa or Pop tracks? Even the band doesn't seem to hold those 2 records in high esteem; what does that tell you?

Of course, virtually no one of that crowd gets up in arms when gallons of cesspool and much more rude posts are poured over, say, current U2. :up: Double standards at their best.

You know, the whole "U2 doesn't like Zooropa and Pop so they don't play them anymore" thing is weak. The band played 5 songs off Pop and 3 songs off Zooropa live in the last 6 years, including two songs that never made it onto Zoo TV (not to mention a live song off Passengers). I mean, they had to really hate Zooropa and Passengers on Popmart then.
It is far more likely they chose songs based off on what works in the setlist and the vibe of the show.

Dirty Day live v electric co live

Dirty Day really would give it a run for its money.

End of Dirty Day is quality , everyone jamming together.

The Electric Co. for me is U2 at it's best, this can be proven when 20 years later they play the song live and it bolws your f*cking head off!!!! .... Yet Zooropa I think is one of the Best albums (as a whole) U2 has made, and the fact they expanded their canvas as artists makes it count so much, plus Stay and the wanderer are on it, so ....

Zooropa

CTU2fan said:

It tells me they stopped playing them as much because A) They were promoting new albums and focused more on those...and B) People like you weren't giving those albums a chance.

I was at an Elevation tour concert many years ago. Bono introduced the song "Stay", describing it as a beautiful love song from a beautiful album many of you don't know about or don't remember. He also said it was during U2's controversial "artsy" period. Then he said something that gave me tons more respect for the guy. He said "You gotta change it up every now and then, people. Can't write in the same style all the time. You'd get sick of us". I thought it was really funny, and I sensed that Bono was agitated over the bad rep that their 90's music got. Obviously they liked those albums. It was the shitty media that forced them back into their conservative corner.

And by the way...how many October songs have U2 played in the last 3 or 4 tours? Or how about Unforgettable Fire? Maybe Gloria, maybe Pride, maybe Bad. What else? Doesn't mean those albums were bad. They just make it a point to play the better known material because it will go over better.

At least on the last tour they played An Cat Dubh.....yet my theory is they were making up for the lameness of the Bomb songs..haha...

Pretty easy choice here-Electric Co is great but I think Zooropa's
U2's "Real" hidden gem, probably in my top 4 of U2s catalogue.

ozeeko said:

It tells me they stopped playing them as much because they were promoting new albums and focused more on those.

And by the way...how many October songs have U2 played in the last 3 or 4 tours? Or how about Unforgettable Fire? Maybe Gloria, maybe Pride, maybe Bad. What else? Doesn't mean those albums were bad.

I agree. The fact that they haven't played hardly any Zooropa does not mean they don't like the album. Of course they like the album. But I disagree with you when you stated that the 'media forced them back into their conservative corner'. I don't buy that for a second. They don't strike me as the kind of band that plays into what the media wants. And what exactly is their 'conservative corner'? Their first EIGHT albums before Zooropa?? Zooropa was the departure, not the norm. U2 didn't go back to being conservative they went back to being the band that they had been for 15 years.

Lets not forget u2 wasnt playing to the tune of the 80's , u2 didnt daple into all that electric pop crap. So u2 have never really played the conservative corner.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

I agree. The fact that they haven't played hardly any Zooropa does not mean they don't like the album. Of course they like the album. But I disagree with you when you stated that the 'media forced them back into their conservative corner'. I don't buy that for a second. They don't strike me as the kind of band that plays into what the media wants. And what exactly is their 'conservative corner'? Their first EIGHT albums before Zooropa?? Zooropa was the departure, not the norm. U2 didn't go back to being conservative they went back to being the band that they had been for 15 years.

There are way too many people who say that U2 of the 00s are that way because of how Pop was received. They changed after Pop for the same reason they changed after Rattle and Hum, because it was time for a change.

If they sold out after Pop, then they sold out after R and H as well. Now THAT was a backlash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom