Eh, I heard some of the Ramones tribute CD today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
I had to exchange a CD to my local indy record store. So as I was walking around the store looking for a new CD to get I noticed they were playing the Ramones tribute CD that U2 are on. Some of the songs sounded like crap. I even overheard the employees there saying that they had to listen to it 3 times in a row, and they didn't sound too pleased about it.. But then.. I heard a guitar riff that actually sounded like a Ramones song! I couldn't believe it was U2's cover of Beat On The Brat! Wow, they actually stayed true to the original song and kept it pretty stripped down, it almost sounded identical to the original.

The rest of the CD sounded pretty bad. Most of the bands took it upon themselves to mutate the songs into sounding like their own work. Rob Zombie's song sounded just like any other Rob Zombie song, and I could have swore Marylin Manson turned a Ramones song into a depressing song, just like any other MM song.

U2 shined above the rest. I don't know what the employees thought of U2's cover, I should have said something like "Wow, that's U2? At least they kept it real."

Last edited:
Eddie Vedder does a damn good version of "I Believe In Miracles." I also liked Garbage's "I Just Wanna Have Something To Do."

But yeah, most of it sucks.

typhoon said:
Eddie Vedder does a damn good version of "I Believe In Miracles." I also liked Garbage's "I Just Wanna Have Something To Do."

But yeah, most of it sucks.

I wish I heard Vedder's cover. During the Red Hot Chilli Peppers cover one of the cashiers said "Man, the Chili Peppers sucked the life out of this song." I thought that was funny.

Hello,

I saw the tribute yesterday in the shops. However, I don't want to spend 22 euros just to get U2's version of Beat On The Brat. I think I'll wait a little until the price comes down.

C ya!

Marty

I really like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers version of Havana Affair, and I actually like the Rob Zombie version of Blitzkrieg Bop too. Am I the only one who sees nothing wrong what so ever in changing a song to sound differently when you cover it? I personally thought it was pretty lame that U2 didnt do anything different what so ever, anyone could have just covered the song identically.

what u2 did with "beat on the brat" is awesome

rob zombie did "blitzrieg bop" :ohmy: i'm scared...

*listening to it on vh1* wow, the chili peppers DID kill that song...oh wait, it got a bit better when a. kiedas stopped singing...

martha said:

Motherfuckers. :mad: It'll only play on PCs. Bite me, VH-1. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Such language! Gasp! :wave:

Jeez... just download the song from one of 50000 file sharing programs out there.

I'll probably buy this album soon enough, but in the interim, it's great to download new U2 ASAP. :) Also, I downloaded the original for comparison. There's no replacing Joey Ramone's unique voice - but U2 do a good job on the cover. Bono adds some "sensuality" to the song (not sure if this is a good or bad thing just yet), but the chorus is fantastic and the cover is very true to the original.

u2popmofo said:
Am I the only one who sees nothing wrong what so ever in changing a song to sound differently when you cover it? I personally thought it was pretty lame that U2 didnt do anything different what so ever, anyone could have just covered the song identically.

In some cases, I do think a cover should be altered to reflect one's own style. However, in this case, I believe this is more of a tribute album. As such, the closer the cover is to the original, the better.

Speaking of the Ramones, I happened to catch "Rock and Roll High School" on TV the other day. I forgot how great the Ramones are. Sigh... :sad:

Last edited:
the eddie vedder one is good...but it sounded like something off "riot act"

so far u2 did the best job :yes:

doctorwho, i agree with what you said about covers vs. covers on a tribute album

metallica sucks arse

the offspring didn't butcher "i wanna be sedated"

in fact they sounded really good!

not sure about tom waits though...

Oi. This CD BLOWS...Rob Zombie killed Blitzkrieg Bop. This was so terrible that as soon as U2 was done, I closed the window and opened up Slane 1 just to cleanse my ears. :barf:

the eddie vedder stuff isn't BAD, it just sounds too much like "riot act" vocals...and john frusciante dissapointed me :(

I just have to say that for about the first time ever a Tribute/Cover album was made with bands that are all quite good in their own right. That really impressed me about this album.

Last edited:
yes there are a lot of good bands on that album, or at least WELL KNOWN, which is probably why expectations were higher and lots of people are disapointed...

Yeah, I know what you mean man.

On another note, I re-read my post about U2's covering Beat on the Brat, and I sounded pretty negative. I just want to clarify myself and say that I DO like their cover of it, I was just expecting more, I dont know, something like they did with Dont Take Your Guns to Town.

I have it. Local Mom n' Pops stores rock. Regardless of changes and new twists on the songs... I really really really like this CD. Not too fond of the latter half of the CD, except Frusciante and Rooney. And I like Zombie's version of Blitzkrieg Bop.

How's the Rooney song? I've been wondering, from what I've heard I really like that band. Cant wait for them to make an album.

doctorwho said:
In some cases, I do think a cover should be altered to reflect one's own style. However, in this case, I believe this is more of a tribute album. As such, the closer the cover is to the original, the better.

I disagree with you here. Even for tribute albums it's great when an artist alters the 'original version', makes it his/her own. U2/Bono have made many original versions for tribute albums (Night & Day, Save The Children, etc.), so they can do it.

C ya!

Marty (waking up on a Monday morning)

Popmartijn said:

I disagree with you here. Even for tribute albums it's great when an artist alters the 'original version', makes it his/her own. U2/Bono have made many original versions for tribute albums (Night & Day, Save The Children, etc.), so they can do it.

C ya!

Marty (waking up on a Monday morning)

Exactly - U2 *can* make a cover version their own if they want to - so there's no point to prove. :wave: It's just that if you look at your examples, those weren't all tribute albums. "Night and Day" was done for AIDS charities - and that's probably the most unique version of that song that I've ever heard!

i had the rob zombie version of blitkrieg bop stuck in my head last night...i was going around thinking "what the hell is this stuck in my head? it sure SOUNDS like something i know..."

The problem with covers that are really similar to the originals is that they make you want to go listen to the originals instead.

typhoon said:
The problem with covers that are really similar to the originals is that they make you want to go listen to the originals instead.

how is that a problem?

The Rob Zomie cover is just wrong. Eddie Vedder's cover was good and as expected Metallica's was just sad, they really need to give it up. Beat on the Brat was really good, I warmed up to it as the song played on. I actually didn't mind the KISS cover though and all I have to say for the Manson effort is WTF! That ain't no Ramones song I ever heard. Whoops I forgot the Chilli Peppers but hey that's what happens with mediocrity. The Garbage cover was really good.

As to covers, there's reinterpretation and there's just pushing the song where it wasn't meant to go. It's a fine line and a lot of Ramones covers go way over it. Man what the hell was Zombie on when he though up that piece of crap! Besides as has been said this is a tribute not a lone cover you stick on an album or as a b-side. You're supposed to respect the artist your tributing not puffing up you ego.

Back
Top Bottom