Eh, I heard some of the Ramones tribute CD today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:
Exactly - U2 *can* make a cover version their own if they want to - so there's no point to prove. :wave: It's just that if you look at your examples, those weren't all tribute albums. "Night and Day" was done for AIDS charities - and that's probably the most unique version of that song that I've ever heard!

Yes, Night And Day was done for the Red, Hot & Blue album, with money going to AIDS charities and promoting AIDS awareness. However, that first installment in the Red, Hot series was also a tribute album to the songs of Cole Porter (as all covers on that album were written by him). So it was a tribute album :wave:

In a sense I agree with typhoon, when covers are similar to the originals they almost always makes you want to listen to the originals. A carbon copy of the original (almost) never betters it, so what's the use of recording an exact replica. The goal of a tribute album is to pay tribute to the artist. Does that mean copying the original saying, "Hey! I can do that!"? Or does it mean making the original your own saying, "Look what I can do with that great song of yours!"?

C ya!

Marty

No offense to everyone else, but it's pretty obvious that some of you guys didnt like most of those bands to begin with. I hope you arent saying the songs were bad just because you already hate the band. Prejudgement is never cool.

The problem I have with some of the covers on this album, like The Marylin Manson cover, was that some songs just sounded too BLOATED and sounded like ARENA ROCK. You have to remember, the Ramones were really against that in the 70's and that is why they wrote simple, short, 3 chord songs.

That's very true David, I saw a review somewhere completely ripping on how they let KISS on the tribute album. Kiss was one of the bands The Ramones/Punk was all against back then.

yeah, i have lots of issues with the marilyn manson cover. i didn't even recognize the song. but i like some of this stuff, it's not a case of hating the band...

i mean, i didn't HATE the kiss cover, and i don't like the band...

I hear ya IWasBored, I've never liked KISS. Not at all. I dont know why.

IWasBored said:
what u2 did with "beat on the brat" is awesome

rob zombie did "blitzrieg bop" :ohmy: i'm scared...

*listening to it on vh1* wow, the chili peppers DID kill that song...oh wait, it got a bit better when a. kiedas stopped singing...

What? Are you saying something about Anthony's voice? The Red Hot Chili Peppers are an amazing band, and Anthony is a fuckin' great frontman who still has a great voice, despite being around for 20+ years.

i hate not stating something clearly enough...

baker6621 said:

What? Are you saying something about Anthony's voice? The Red Hot Chili Peppers are an amazing band, and Anthony is a fuckin' great frontman who still has a great voice, despite being around for 20+ years.

absolutly not saying anything like that. i really like the chili peppers, i wasn't in any way knocking keidas' voice...

what i meant was that i thought they killed the song, but the guitar stuff was cool in its own respect...i'm a huge chili peppers fan, i just didn't think they did a good job with the song, and was dissapointed. that is all.

IWasBored said:
how is that a problem?
Typically, a song should not inspire you to turn it off and listen to something else midway through it.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

The Chilli Pepper's cover was thuroghly forgettable, though the guitars were nice. It just didn't feel right and inspired no feelings at all. It was nice, but nice music is for elevators. No hit on the band, since a lot of their stuff could hardly be called forgettable.

As to KISS, I didn't mind their song, though there was something just slightly off about it that I couldn't put my finger on. It might have had something to do with the sheer wrongness of KISS being on a Ramones tribute.

typhoon said:

Typically, a song should not inspire you to turn it off and listen to something else midway through it.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

yes, but it's a tribute album. it reminds you how great the originals are. therefore it's GOOD for you to want to turn it off and listen to the original.

*insert some sarcasm here*

soul coughing had a song that went "i don't need to walk around in circles"

what ever happened to them?

I read that they broke up.

I want to get their greatest hits album, I dont really know them that well cause they got big when I was in Japan. My roommate had an album of theirs this summer, I really liked it.

i was wondering why it seemed that they had fallen off the face of the earth...that explains why

yes, marth and mofo hit the nail on the head.

kiss can lick my hershey highway. gene simmons is the biggest manwhore alive, and deserves to be sentanced and fried for his sexual exploitation of women.

i dont get how anyone can like them. theyre shit. theyre a product thats shit.

*shakes head

Flag Pole Pear said:

kiss can lick my hershey highway.

Knowing Gene Simmons' tongue length, that would be something I'd never want to see.

Actually I'd never want to see that regardless of tongue length.

u2popmofo said:

Knowing Gene Simmons' tongue length, that would be something I'd never want to see.

Actually I'd never want to see that regardless of tongue length.

why not?

:eyebrow:

I dont know, I just dont want to see your Hershey highway, let alone someone licking it. Especially if that someone is Gene Simmons. Yikes.

Kiss what? The members of Radiohead? I'd rather not, Thom Yorke is one of the ugliest people I've ever seen.

By the way, I think that really says something about the music scene in Europe compared to America. In Europe its about the music, not how the musicians look. Half of the bands in Europe wouldnt have ever even had a chance over here, the music scene is like a runway show for models these days.

Back
Top Bottom