Educating the ignorant few!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CKONE

Acrobat
A friend of mine heard Vertigo today and said to me 'that sounds quite good - do they have a greatest hits album i could listen too?'

I slapped him around a bit and then explained that in order to fully appreciate U2 he cant just go straight to a commercially released Greatest Hits Album where none of the songs are in their correct context! I explained that he must listen to the albums in order from day one. I suggested he allow 1 month of constant play per album (2 for Joshua Tree obviously because it is the best) and when he has completed the set he can do it again and then he can thank me.

Well, can be reasonable if someone doesn't follow a band. the first thing he asks is:"Where can I find their best songs?"

I personnally never get into a band listening to their best of's

I understand the sentiment, but you can't expect the poor guy to go four months w/o hearing Joshua Tree and even months longer before Achtung Baby. Maybe just suggest he get those 2 albums as a start; that would be better than the best ofs.

CKONE said:
A friend of mine heard Vertigo today and said to me 'that sounds quite good - do they have a greatest hits album i could listen too?'

I slapped him around a bit and then explained that in order to fully appreciate U2 he cant just go straight to a commercially released Greatest Hits Album where none of the songs are in their correct context! I explained that he must listen to the albums in order from day one. I suggested he allow 1 month of constant play per album (2 for Joshua Tree obviously because it is the best) and when he has completed the set he can do it again and then he can thank me.

Congratulations! You probably killed your friend's interest in U2 entirely with your attitude.

Re: Re: Educating the ignorant few!

Bono's shades said:

Congratulations! You probably killed your friend's interest in U2 entirely with your attitude.

Exactly! I was gonna say something similar. Educating the ignorant few??? How condescending is that?

And I don't think there's anything wrong in starting with a Greatest Hits collection. They are made not only as a career retrospective but also to draw new fans in!

Whoa there Bono's shades!

Nothing in life is simple! Also it is a bit tongue in cheek as its hardly difficult for him to just buy the best of albums!

Having said that I like REM for Auto for the People and the one before (name escapes me momentarily) but a lot of my friends rave about their earlier stuff and susequent stuff.

With hindsight I would have liked to have started from the beginning with REM. Create the history and the route they took.

And anyway what can be better than spending a year listening to the full U2 collection.:tongue: :D

^^zootles I'm sure the thread title is at least somewhat sarcastic ;)

I can see where you're going, but I'm not sure that's really a good way to make someone a fan.

I'd say have him get the 2 best of's, JT, and AB and listen through them for a while. If I listened to October before any of those for instance, I'm sure I'd lose interest.

Re: Re: Re: Educating the ignorant few!

Zootlesque said:

Exactly! I was gonna say something similar. Educating the ignorant few??? How condescending is that?

And I don't think there's anything wrong in starting with a Greatest Hits collection. They are made not only as a career retrospective but also to draw new fans in!

Not condescending enough in my view - see the post beneath yours I have quoted - it was meant somewhat lightheartedly.

Although I wont concede that we are doing anything but educating the ignorant few:wink:

VertigoGal said:
^^zootles I'm sure the thread title is at least somewhat sarcastic ;)

I can see where you're going, but I'm not sure that's really a good way to make someone a fan.

I'd say have him get the 2 best of's, JT, and AB and listen through them for a while. If I listened to October before any of those for instance, I'm sure I'd lose interest.

eh? the first six albums are U2 at their most raw and succeptible. the albums stand on their own and are brilliant and build up perfectly to JT. how can they be cast aside???

Boy (Released October 1980)
October (Released October 1981)
War (Released March 1983)
Under a Blood Red Sky (Released November 1983)
The Unforgettable Fire (Released October 1984)
Wide Awake in America (Released May 1985)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Educating the ignorant few!

CKONE said:

Not condescending enough in my view - see the post beneath yours I have quoted - it was meant somewhat lightheartedly.

Although I wont concede that we are doing anything but educating the ignorant few:wink:

Ah well. Just ignore me. I'm a little on edge today for some reason! :slant:

A friend of mine got into U2 after listening to the second best of... Now she has 7 albums and she's looking forward to buy the other ones... so I think it's a good way to get into the band... As long as you realize that probably their best material won't be there, but at least you'll have a little idea of what the band is about...

I started off with a Best of for U2, and I must say, thank goodness I didn't stop there! My parents owned Best of 80-90, which I loved. But I certainly missed out on a lot of the context of the songs. My next CD was 90-00, which I got as a gift for X-Mas. And I actually did not like it nearly as much as 80-90.

Luckily, a friend of my parents, a huge rock and roll buff, saw the U2 CDs and recommended me buying the Joshua Tree, and from there the dominoes fell. But most don't get the luxury I do, which was pure luck.

Listening to Best of won't help you understand U2. I think what you are doing is good, as long as he's willing to partake.

Come to think of it, I personally started with Achtung Baby, then The Joshua Tree, then Pop. But I think there was no 'Best Of' out there when I got into them.

If it was right now, I would start with the 80s Best Of! :yes:

Definitelty not the 90s one! :no:

JT then AB. Then the rest. Get 'em hooked, then let the appreciation begin.

I got into U2 via a promo CD for ATYCLB in The Sunday Times, it had Beautiful Day, Ground Beneath Her Feet and a live version of New York on it, oh and that short cover of I Remember You.....

First U2 album I got...Zooropa:wink: Eh sometimes people get into bands via different ways, no set method for getting someone to like a band.

well i have some relatives that only think country music is the one and only music in the world. when i was mentioning u2 at a get together they interupted me saying that u2 has never had any hit songs or tours. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rickphisto said:
well i have some relatives that only think country music is the one and only music in the world. when i was mentioning u2 at a get together they interupted me saying that u2 has never had any hit songs or tours. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever I'm with family that doesn't get it like that I try to throw as many U2 quotes or references into conversation as possible, and the farther out there or force they are, the stranger they look at me! I always have fun with it. Especially with ZooTV message signs from The Fly. Yeah ... good times, good times.

(I've also done it with Bill Raftery, but they get it usually since he's a sports guy - "ONIONS!")

phillyfan26 said:

Whenever I'm with family that doesn't get it like that I try to throw as many U2 quotes or references into conversation as possible, and the farther out there or force they are, the stranger they look at me! I always have fun with it. Especially with ZooTV message signs from The Fly. Yeah ... good times, good times.

(I've also done it with Bill Raftery, but they get it usually since he's a sports guy - "ONIONS!")

i should say to them "everything you know is wrong".!!!!

i should just give them a copy of the compilation that i am already working on for some friends of the family.

rickphisto said:
my response is a bit what?

typical of a u2 fan with his head up the arse ( im the same ) we shouldnt expect normal people to be arsed to check u2 out proper like we all have.

CKONE said:

I started off with the greatest hits album from 1980-1990.

After I listened to it over and over again for the past week and a half, I bought all of their cds. :wink:

I started with The Best Of 1980-1990.

Then JT & UABRS at the same time.

Then AB & Pop around the same time.

Then R&H.

Then Boy.

Then War, October, and UF at the same time.

Then Zooropa.

Then ATYCLB and onwards.

I had heard everything up through Zooropa by July/August of 1999.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Educating the ignorant few!

Zootlesque said:

Ah well. Just ignore me. I'm a little on edge today for some reason! :slant:

Zoot, your post seemed perfectly reasonable to me :shrug:

Even if you were kidding, CKONE, it does seem a bit condescending to me. Frankly, if someone approached me with an attitude like that, I would probably feel less inclined to check out the band. There's nothing wrong with Greatest Hits albums; they give you a general idea of what a band is like. It'd be nice to just buy all the U2 albums in chronological order, but I don't think it's the only "proper" way to get into them. Really, I've found the best way to get people into U2 is give them Pop. It's undeniably cool :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Educating the ignorant few!

AtomicBono said:

Really, I've found the best way to get people into U2 is give them Pop. It's undeniably cool :wink:

Haha! You know how they say, the first album you listen to is always close to your heart for nostalgic or other reasons! That person will automatically start comparing all subsequent albums to Pop! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom