Edge's voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hqr_syd

Babyface
Hi All,

I think edge could become the lead singer Sorry Bono"

His voice is so cool, I just love his back ups, it really gives me a warm feeling and my spine tingles with his playing and Voice.

Who aggre's here?

I just love edge Adn Bono! in The ground Beneath her feet, And lots more songs Gone...

What key would edge be using on most of his songs?

i like van dieman's land

and seconds

and numb

but bono's got a cool voice

Edge's voice is okay. IMHO, he does better backing Bono. His voice is not too strong and defined, he's perfect as a back-up vocalist.

I don't think we'll see Edge having lead singer aspirations anytime soon. He's an incredible guitar player, and I don't think he would give that up. Plus, Edge is more of the musical genius behind the music! He writes the awesome songs that Bono sings.

Edge has a cool voice.

But Bono's voice is amazing.

Well, Bono was practising it for more than 20 years, Edge could never be as good as Bono. But for that he is an excellent guitar player. Nobody's pefect.

I think that both of Bono's and Edge's voices are good. I dont see Edge singing lead anytime soon tho bc He voice seems a little weak and to high to be singing leads. I am not saying his voice is bad its just Bono's voice is deep and can carry a lot farther then Edge's.

I love Edge's voice...Van Diemen's Land...SBS...Seconds...:drool:

But I think we'll keep Bono as lead singer. :drool:

But I would love to hear Edge sing lead again on another song, just for fun.

:hmm: and maybe Larry too!

Has anyone heard Larry's rendition of Whiskey in the Jar? I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard it. The idea of Larry infront of a microphone is enough to cause armaggedon. :D

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this thread slipped past me, but for the sake of organization and continuity, I'm moving it to EYKIW. It'll get more traffic there anyway. :)

Personally, I find that Edge's voice in Van Dieman's land bears a marked resemblence to John Lennon, although I'm probably alone in that thought.

As Edge once said about the band in general, everyone knows their place. He's a great background singer and lets Bono be the lead. Same deal with Bono picking up a guitar sometimes. He doesn't get in Edge's way.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I think Edge could make a good country singer......:reject:
Heh, yeah, his live performances of "Van Diemen's Land" reflect that. :) He kind of overemoted on the later PopMart versions of "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" too...it hardly ruined the song, but it kept any performances of it from being as perfect as the restrained Sarajevo version.

He couldn't cut it as the band's only lead, of course, because his voice isn't as dynamic as Bono's. But I hope we hear some more of him on both back-up and lead.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
and he sorta just stands there with his eyes closed like that Staind guy

I think it's kind of sweet that Edge still gets shy about singing in front of an audience after being with U2 for more than 20 years. Singing back up, he's fine, but any solo singing, even one verse, and the eyes are closed.

Anyway, I think Edge has a really sweet, amazing voice but I don't think it's been used properly in the past. In the late '80s he tended to sing a little nasal and then in the early '90s he sang too high. Since Pop, I think everyone has figured out the best level for Edge's voice and his singing back up and up front is just so great. His "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is so chilling, understated, and I completely melt when he sings "Slow down my beating heart" on the Elevation DVD.

As much as I dig Edge's voice I wouldn't want him to do leads full time, Bono is a tremendous singer and frontman, but it would be nice to get another Edge song.

Blacksword said:
Has anyone heard Larry's rendition of Whiskey in the Jar? I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard it. The idea of Larry infront of a microphone is enough to cause armaggedon. :D

:lmao: Yeah! I actually liked that! Not for a lead singer, no, but it was terrific as sort of a drunken Irish thing! :lmao:

One of my fondest memories....Edge singing Sunday Bloody Sunday, solo, Brisbane 1998.
Unforgettable, delicate, powerful.

Lead singer of U2? nope, never.

I like Edge's voice a lot - it's very good - smooth and expressive for quieter songs (like the solo SBS and In A Little While), but let's face it, his voice isn't very rock and roll. Bono's got that bit down, plus he's already got the frontman/rock star mannerisms down and everything. :D

My hubby and I were talking about this the other day - kind of a morbid thought, but if anything ever happened to B, I hope that the guys would continue on. I think obviously the group would be very different, but like in Seconds, Walk On, various parts of some bootlegs etc - I didn't know until someone told me that Edge was singing a particular line. Their voices complement each other very well so I'd say don't mess with what's working. Edge would definitely bring an entirely different persona if he took over, but I'd rather have some resemblance of U2 than no more U2 at all (if Bono kicks the bucket early).

Picture this.........we're at the concert in 2004, and the band just finished a killer version of "In God's Country" (One can dream). Then all the sudden, Edge steps up to the mic, and they do a song from the new album, with Edge entirely on lead vocals, and Bono off on the side doing rhythm guitar and backing vocals. I think that might be kinda cool. But then again, would Bono's ego allow for someone else to have the spotlight? Anyway, I hope that we get a new song with Edge on lead vocals.

I think that Edge has a better voice than Bono, in terms of actual tone quality and pitch. But it is Bono's voice that makes U2 what it is, and like previously stated, he has an amazing rock voice. I hope that his vocal chords hold together for years to come.

The_acrobat said:
Picture this.........we're at the concert in 2004, and the band just finished a killer version of "In God's Country" (One can dream). Then all the sudden, Edge steps up to the mic, and they do a song from the new album, with Edge entirely on lead vocals, and Bono off on the side doing rhythm guitar and backing vocals. I think that might be kinda cool. But then again, would Bono's ego allow for someone else to have the spotlight? Anyway, I hope that we get a new song with Edge on lead vocals.

I think that Edge has a better voice than Bono, in terms of actual tone quality and pitch. But it is Bono's voice that makes U2 what it is, and like previously stated, he has an amazing rock voice. I hope that his vocal chords hold together for years to come.

Good call on "In God's Country"!

I don't see Bono having an ego problem with Edge taking leads on a song again. I'm actually fairly surprised that Edge doesn't sing at least one song a show, the Stones have been doing that for years, having Keith sing a song or two to give Mick a break.

AchtungJedi said:
Personally, I find that Edge's voice in Van Dieman's land bears a marked resemblence to John Lennon, although I'm probably alone in that thought.

As Edge once said about the band in general, everyone knows their place. He's a great background singer and lets Bono be the lead. Same deal with Bono picking up a guitar sometimes. He doesn't get in Edge's way.

Well, now that you mention it, I can sort of hear a resemblance.

And I agree with what you say. It's kind of amazing how well their voices complement each other's.

Back
Top Bottom