Edge's voice - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2003, 03:07 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Edge said it himself, he's a perfect sideman. His voice is great for back-up singing, but wouldn't cut it as a lead.

Old 01-26-2003, 03:10 AM   #22
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:11 AM
I like Edge's voice a lot - it's very good - smooth and expressive for quieter songs (like the solo SBS and In A Little While), but let's face it, his voice isn't very rock and roll. Bono's got that bit down, plus he's already got the frontman/rock star mannerisms down and everything.

Old 01-26-2003, 12:12 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

I love Edge's voice, but Bono sounds more rock than he does.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:28 PM   #24
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:11 PM
My hubby and I were talking about this the other day - kind of a morbid thought, but if anything ever happened to B, I hope that the guys would continue on. I think obviously the group would be very different, but like in Seconds, Walk On, various parts of some bootlegs etc - I didn't know until someone told me that Edge was singing a particular line. Their voices complement each other very well so I'd say don't mess with what's working. Edge would definitely bring an entirely different persona if he took over, but I'd rather have some resemblance of U2 than no more U2 at all (if Bono kicks the bucket early).
Old 01-26-2003, 02:11 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Picture this.........we're at the concert in 2004, and the band just finished a killer version of "In God's Country" (One can dream). Then all the sudden, Edge steps up to the mic, and they do a song from the new album, with Edge entirely on lead vocals, and Bono off on the side doing rhythm guitar and backing vocals. I think that might be kinda cool. But then again, would Bono's ego allow for someone else to have the spotlight? Anyway, I hope that we get a new song with Edge on lead vocals.

I think that Edge has a better voice than Bono, in terms of actual tone quality and pitch. But it is Bono's voice that makes U2 what it is, and like previously stated, he has an amazing rock voice. I hope that his vocal chords hold together for years to come.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:46 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The_acrobat
Picture this.........we're at the concert in 2004, and the band just finished a killer version of "In God's Country" (One can dream). Then all the sudden, Edge steps up to the mic, and they do a song from the new album, with Edge entirely on lead vocals, and Bono off on the side doing rhythm guitar and backing vocals. I think that might be kinda cool. But then again, would Bono's ego allow for someone else to have the spotlight? Anyway, I hope that we get a new song with Edge on lead vocals.

I think that Edge has a better voice than Bono, in terms of actual tone quality and pitch. But it is Bono's voice that makes U2 what it is, and like previously stated, he has an amazing rock voice. I hope that his vocal chords hold together for years to come.
Good call on "In God's Country"!

I don't see Bono having an ego problem with Edge taking leads on a song again. I'm actually fairly surprised that Edge doesn't sing at least one song a show, the Stones have been doing that for years, having Keith sing a song or two to give Mick a break.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:41 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904

the Stones have been doing that for years, having Keith sing a song or two to give Mick a break.

<------
Old 01-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungJedi
Personally, I find that Edge's voice in Van Dieman's land bears a marked resemblence to John Lennon, although I'm probably alone in that thought.

As Edge once said about the band in general, everyone knows their place. He's a great background singer and lets Bono be the lead. Same deal with Bono picking up a guitar sometimes. He doesn't get in Edge's way.
Well, now that you mention it, I can sort of hear a resemblance.

And I agree with what you say. It's kind of amazing how well their voices complement each other's.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:23 AM   #29
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:11 AM
I think Edge could be used more in backing vocals. Stay and Heartland are just wonderful - maybe in the new album.

Pamela
Old 01-27-2003, 03:43 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

He can really hit the high notes, especially on Stuck and The Fly.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:54 AM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904

I think it's kind of sweet that Edge still gets shy about singing in front of an audience after being with U2 for more than 20 years. Singing back up, he's fine, but any solo singing, even one verse, and the eyes are closed.

Anyway, I think Edge has a really sweet, amazing voice but I don't think it's been used properly in the past. In the late '80s he tended to sing a little nasal and then in the early '90s he sang too high. Since Pop, I think everyone has figured out the best level for Edge's voice and his singing back up and up front is just so great. His "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is so chilling, understated, and I completely melt when he sings "Slow down my beating heart" on the Elevation DVD.

As much as I dig Edge's voice I wouldn't want him to do leads full time, Bono is a tremendous singer and frontman, but it would be nice to get another Edge song.

i think i agree with absolutly everything you said. especially the part about the end of "in a little while" on the dvd!

and about him sounding a bit like john lennon in VDL, i don't hear it, but i also don't hear how he sounds like willie nelson--which was what my mom said...
Old 01-28-2003, 04:32 AM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Edge has a good voice, but when they have a voice like Bono in their group, it would be a BIG mistake to let Edge sing lead. Yes, Edge can hit some high notes, but Bono's voice is far more powerful. But Bono's and Edge's voices sound good together - it's one of those things that IS the U2 sound!