Edge's Vertigo guitar playing is Overrated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I feel that we should give Jick the opportunity to respond within this thread....

that said... lets keep it open for now.

bonosgirl84 said:
i am in no way defending jick with what i am about to say. i have seen plenty of jick's posts. but then it occurs to me, has the edge? why the sudden singling out of jick? and why, WHY does he compare jick's posting style to terrorism?

that kind of comparison would have drawn flames from the posters a reprimand from a mod elsewhere on this board, not the cheers and applause it received here.

i'm just confused.
like joyfulgirl, i think need a drink.

I've been reading Jick's post for years and on a rare occasion I'll actually side with him, however on this one Edge is right; he is basically lighting a molotov cocktail and throwing it into the crowd and watching the frenzy unfold before his eyes.

The Edge's response was merely human, and when someone attacks someone else's art it is very personal. Whether Jick knew the Edge is posting here or not I don't know, however he picked the wrong subject to write about.

It is my belief that Jick is an arsonist at worst, he lights a fire and then watches the building burn. I truly believe he really loves U2 (as is evidenced by his wallpapers and faithful remixes he's done in the past), but he can't sit idylly and watch as everyone throws out praises, so he has to say something negative, or give us all the glass is "half empty" scenario. He doesn't mean well, but I don't think he means to hurt anyone either.

I think this is going to be a bit of a lesson for him.....and then again maybe not.

Well, either way, I do apologise to jick for what I said earlier, I was just initially mad and fed up like many people are here and posted the first thing that came to mind.

You didn't deserve THAT. Sorry, mate. :hug:

ok... instead of closing this thread, im going to request that people stop posting (like thats gonna work,,, lol) until jick replies.

i personally like when edge writes songs that are easy to play

makes it easier for us aspiring guitarists

one of u2's best songs, desire, is just 3 chords, but to be able to turn 3 chords into a great song is what's genius

plus then bono can play it too :wink:

oops sorry, i was replying while you posted that

and now i did it again

ill stop now

:huh:

He should have posted about Adam's bass playing instead!!;):D

"There’s a running joke about Adam Clayton’s bass playing ability in your book. Will Adam be amused?

I don’t think he has read the book. Adam is a very kind and humble man, in his later incarnations especially. He is a true gentleman. I think he’d be amused. I’ve told him some of the stories in it, and he just sat there and laughed.

I hope I’m not being unkind to him, because his musical bluff is part of the U2 story. It’s kind of been recognised, and he’s kind of recognised it himself. That’s where U2 become greater than the sum of their parts, because he was not technically accomplished initially and yet his bass playing is a huge part of the U2 sound."

[Edit]

D'oh!! Sorry Elvis:uhoh: It took me a while to find the quote:shrug:

Last edited:
The Edge said:
Friend Jick,

Better yet...dont light that fuse, put the bomb in your pocket and walk off. I want you to be happy. If you cant, dont spread that disease called "hate" We've far too much that in this world today!

Am I right in assuming the way to dismantle these little bombs is with love? :heart: :wink:

Elvis said:
Jick,

Why, for years in the U2 communities, have you never really had anything but negativity to offer?

I want an answer.

You can check a history of threads I started. I started quite a few positive threads, such as "songs you hated at first listen and grew on you" - and even encoded the Batman Theme mp3 for the benefit of the U2 fans. You, of all people should know also, that I have been contributing U2 vidcap wallpapers for this site for some time. I think my posts don't reek with negativity all the time. By the way, as I said many times - I really like Vertigo. It's a nice light pop tune that is great ear candy for me.

Cheers,

J

U2_Guy said:
What if the guy doen't like Vertigo that much? Do we HAVE to like any piece of music U2 release?

I actually DO like Vertigo a lot - its catchy and great ear candy. I always prefer the ear-candy U2 stuff, that's why I like ATYCLB much much better than POP.

Cheers,

J

Right from the beginning post in this thread from Jick I felt that he was doing this to get Edge to respond in his post and not for what the topic was but just to get Edge to say something to him and if this is true then that's pretty sick Jick. This is sick because you are saying something negative to bait him in to talk to you, very sad.

I agree with Edge's post, Jick does this style of posting (negative) to get people to fight amongst themselves and bring out negative emotions (hate), he seems to get a kick out of this because he knows people will respond with hate back at him. We don't know how he truly feels about making these type of posts but Edge doesn't need to see Jick's previous posts because it's just obvious from reading it what his intent appears to be which is to watch the thread burn which like i said is pretty sick.

Controversial posting is one thing but to target Edge to hope to bring him into your thread is just wrong in my opinion.

For instance instead of making the thread like how Jick did by outright insulting Edge of ripping off current artists and playing simple power chords (btw there's a lot more then a few power chords going on) Jick instead could have rephrased the thread but don't make it seem like Edge had NEVER played power chords before. Have you heard of a song called 11 'O'clock Tick Tock, HELLO that's power chords and that was over 25 years ago, which is before members of Blink 182 were probably a blink in there parents eyes so who's ripping off who Jick ?

There's nothing wrong with posts that criticize a band but i believe he did it to bait Edge in for his own personal amusement (arsonist analogy works) and that's when something does become wrong.

jick said:

You can check a history of threads I started. I started quite a few positive threads, such as "songs you hated at first listen and grew on you" - and even encoded the Batman Theme mp3 for the benefit of the U2 fans. You, of all people should know also, that I have been contributing U2 vidcap wallpapers for this site for some time. I think my posts don't reek with negativity all the time. By the way, as I said many times - I really like Vertigo. It's a nice light pop tune that is great ear candy for me.

Cheers,

J

That's cool J, let's keep it light-hearted eh?

By the way, I was in a rehearsal room today and during a break I put on Vertigo on at full pelt over the PA. JESUS!!!! I sure got the goosebumps! The guys outside put their heads in the door and were like what the f**k is THAT?!?! (In a good way!)

I recommend everyone try it!

jick said:

I actually DO like Vertigo a lot - its catchy and great ear candy. I always prefer the ear-candy U2 stuff, that's why I like ATYCLB much much better than POP.

Cheers,

J

Hmm- backpedaling? :eyebrow:

I don't see much reason to waste any more time on such a topic or someone intent on spreading negativity through a community that I am so grateful to be a part of. :heart:

I vote to have the thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom