Edge's recent solos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Can I interest you in a sense of humour? :wink:

:lol:

i'm pretty tired, maybe that's why, but when I click on a thread titled "Edge's recent solos" and then read all this other stuff.....

ohhhh I just don't know :yawn:

carry on...

Rob33 said:

i'm pretty tired, maybe that's why, but when I click on a thread titled "Edge's recent solos" and then read all this other stuff.....

ohhhh I just don't know :yawn:

carry on...

We're just some interference addicted dorks having the kind of good times most people only read, or dream about. Rob, you could have been a part of it. Don't give into fatigue, and don't let Rob34 take over for you without a fight.

No spoken words said:

We're just some interference addicted dorks having the kind of good times most people only read, or dream about. Rob, you could have been a part of it. Don't give into fatigue, and don't let Rob34 take over for you without a fight.

^ oh, NSW, believe me, I spend quite a bit of time on here....quite a bit :)

I should've warmed up my "this thread is lame" post with a face kinda thing...it's not that lame...I just wanted to talk about Edge and his droolworthy solos :)

although I want something with a Fly-like epicness to it....I haven't heard anything THAT epic in awhile....

in terms of live though, I'd have to say Kite was absolutely brilliant :applaud:

I love how Bono goes crazy on some of Edge's solos..it's fun to see...

I was watching a lot of U2 video yesterday and I couldn't help but realize just how much Bono obsesses over the Edge....I mean he will freaking scream his name like 15 times during a song, and then when all the music stops he'll keep saying his name in this verging-on-sick kinda way....I don't really mind it, it just became very apparent yesterday, so apparent that I felt I needed to share it today :)

But Bono doesn't give Larry or Adam nearly the attention Edge gets on stage...I've always wondered how that works itself out between the band members...does Adam notice? Does Larry find it annoying?

Ok I kinda just carried on a bit too long...but it kinda related to "Edge's recent solos," so whatever :)

Last edited:
Hoodlem said:
Where are the UTEOTW style solos?

It's just simple scales. Working up and down the next in sequence. Sorta like New Year's Day. Nothing too difficult. Edge's best solos are BTBS ZooTV and Desire Lovetown. Nothing on the studio recordings comes to mind as being "difficult." In fact, I noticed a few years ago, when I really got into bands like Zeppelin, that most of U2's guitar solos are very similar. Starts high, goes low, noodles around a very wee bit, and then returns the to the initial high note.

I could play The Fly solo when I was 14.

Edge may be a rocket scientist, but he doesn't apply that complexity to his solos.

LemonMelon said:
I could play The Fly solo when I was 14.

Edge may be a rocket scientist, but he doesn't apply that complexity to his solos.

I'd like to see him do a studio recording like Desire Lovetown just once. Or BTBS ZooTV style. Just once. I don't think that's asking for too much.

The thing with the Edge is not can you play his solos, but would you have come up with his solos on your own. He's not about complexity, he's about being inventive. INMYOPINIONALLCAPSVERSION.

No spoken words said:
The thing with the Edge is not can you play his solos, but would you have come up with his solos on your own. He's not about complexity, he's about being inventive. INMYOPINIONALLCAPSVERSION.

this is perfectly accurate and very, very true...the Fly is one of my all time favorite solos and does for me more than anything most professional guitarists can dream of....I really don't give two shits about how easy or hard an Edge solo is to play...what matters is the sound produced, not the complexity of it....

Rob33 said:

this is perfectly accurate and very, very true...the Fly is one of my all time favorite solos and does for me more than anything most professional guitarists can dream of....I really don't give two shits about how easy or hard an Edge solo is to play...what matters is the sound produced, not the complexity of it....

I've come up with a few solos in various songs that sound like they could've been Edge solos. Hell, even my guitar tone now sounds like his, with the delay just right.

ABOY featured a good Edge solo, and just about saves a poor song. LAPOE was a different kind of sound and was great live too. And um...that's about that from hutdab!

Recent solos on the last tour of the older songs - Bullet: Boring. If they insist on playing it on the next tour then please bring back the ZooTV/Popmart solo!:drool:
The Fly: Excellent. Please continue on next tour.:up:

LemonMelon said:

The U2 cycle of discontent, updated 2008 version:

1. New song, album is released. Fans are so tired of previous release that they embrace it with open arms.

2. Tour begins. Album is beginning "to grow on" some people. Some say it will age like fine wine.

3. Bootlegs from tour are released. People begin to discuss production quality, using adjectives such as "loud" and "sucks ass" to describe the album versions of their favorite live songs.

4. Threads begin to emerge about how horrible the album was. Pitchfork and Stylus articles are used as "proof".

5. Rumors of new album begin. People breathe a sigh of relief, but are only cautiously optimistic, due to the crappiness of previous release.

6. New song, album is released. Fans are so tired previous release that they embrace it with open arms.

That is unbelievably right.

And incredibly sad.

Aardvark747 said:
If they insist on playing it on the next tour then please bring back the ZooTV/Popmart solo!:drool:

I disliked Popmart BTBS. Too much wah-wah.

I'd like to hear a ZooTV style BTBS again, but with an extended solo. :drool: Add in some Lovetown Desire shredding.

Originally posted by LemonMelon

1. New song, album is released. Fans are so tired of previous release that they embrace it with open arms.

2. Tour begins. Album is beginning "to grow on" some people. Some say it will age like fine wine.

3. Bootlegs from tour are released. People begin to discuss production quality, using adjectives such as "loud" and "sucks ass" to describe the album versions of their favorite live songs.

4. Threads begin to emerge about how horrible the album was. Pitchfork and Stylus articles are used as "proof".

5. Rumors of new album begin. People breathe a sigh of relief, but are only cautiously optimistic, due to the crappiness of previous release.

6. New song, album is released. Fans are so tired previous release that they embrace it with open arms.

:lol: I think what you're saying is true for only this decade. Words like "discontent" and "disappointment" were not in my U2 dictionary before ATYCLB.

I think Edge's minimalistic style has now become an excuse for him to not really focus and try to come up with something more diferent and daring with his solos. He's gotten too confortable and has mastered that way of soloing far too much for it too sound as interesting and as innovative as we feel like a U2 song can be. However U2's songwritting style doesn't really seems to demand a huge solo or something full of notes or too complicated (not that I don't like those kinds of solos - I love them), they are usually more like melodic brakes but they have become far too similar and a bit boring. All Because Of You is an exemple of that, the beginning is perfect, really awesome, the rest is ridiculous just holding notes, which creates a cool rocking effect but it doesn't really work that well if he doesn't build to it more than he did.

I think it's more than time for Edge to step up and come up with stuff that are not only as melodic and interesting as his old solos but with something that he usually doesn't do and go for. By exploring that he might end up coming up with some really great stuff.

I wish a producer would flat out say something like that to him, try to chalange him on that aspect of his playing, he might not like it but being a person who seems really interested in innovation he might also want to try and do something about it. But he should be chalanged about it I think and maybe give himself more time to focus just on that, even if they need to stay more time in the studio.

Originally posted by LemonMelon

... you nailed it – but I'm really sorry, that this is the way it is, really sorry ...

Zootlesque said:

:lol: I think what you're saying is true for only this decade. Words like "discontent" and "disappointment" were not in my U2 dictionary before ATYCLB.

I forget what the site is, but there is this one out there that was a U2 message board-ish community during the 1990's. I wish I knew the address off the top of my head...anyway, it goes all the way back to the Zoo TV era, and no, not everything was positive back then either. It's quite eye-opening, really. Sometimes things really don't change.

No spoken words said:

That is, indeed, the whole point. Too bad folks expect more than sheer inventiveness from Edge...they want technical proficiency too. :shrug: Personally, I couldn't care less about solos. As long as the song is good, who cares?

LemonMelon said:

I forget what the site is, but there is this one out there that was a U2 message board-ish community during the 1990's. I wish I knew the address off the top of my head...anyway, it goes all the way back to the Zoo TV era, and no, not everything was positive back then either. It's quite eye-opening, really. Sometimes things really don't change.

I know what you're saying, believe me. Cos I had a roommate who loved JT & RH but hated Achtung. He didn't like the whole "making fun of themselves" stance they took. Then again, he didn't care about anything else in their discography either other than JT & RH. But yeah, I know Achtung and especially Zooropa and Pop received a lot of backclash and they lost a lot of fans in the 90s. But speaking only from personal opinion, I think their material from Boy thru Pop is better quality-wise than ATYCLB & HTDAAB. I still like those albums but I cannot change the fact that I prefer the earlier stuff. :slant:

Back
Top Bottom