Edge's favorite or most used guitar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
It's a tie between...

Les Paul Gibson
c8.jpg

This one is used in songs such as:

Electric Co.
New Year's Day
Zoo Station
One
Kite
Until The End Of The World
I Will Follow (Popmart)
Walk On
Desire

Then this one, which I don't know the name of... but is used for various songs including:

edge_66.sized.jpg

All I Want Is You
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride
I Still Haven't Found
An Cat Dubh
Bullet The Blue Sky
40 (Adam takes over)
Bad
Two Hearts Beat As One
Discotheque

I think it's safe to assume that these are the two most used and prefered guitars for Edge. Rarely you'll see other guitars used on this tour...

I Will Follow / Out Of Control / Miracle Drug / Beautiful Day all share the same guitar.

City Of Blinding Lights / Crumbs / All Because Of You use the same guitar, but I've seen 'One' and 'All I Want Is You' performed with this one too...

What about the Gibson Explorer? He used that heaps in the early days and it's still in use today on songs like Beautiful Day.

Axver said:
What about the Gibson Explorer? He used that heaps in the early days and it's still in use today on songs like Beautiful Day.

Yeah, I always thought the Explorer was his favorite, too. :edge:

Axver said:

yes I thought it was his favorite too:shrug:

I think there was an interview where when he was asked about his favorite guitar he said that he is most attached to his Explorer.

Remember when he lost some of his guitars in a big storm? He mentioned that he was especially relieved that his Explorer was OK. :up:

U2vertigofly said:
I think there was an interview where when he was asked about his favorite guitar he said that he is most attached to his Explorer.

Wasn't it his first (or one of the first) guitar too? I believe he bought it in New York not long after U2 became a band. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

Also, is he still using the plain black Strat? He used that and the Explorer primarily through to the UF Tour, but I don't recall when I last saw that black Strat.

I really don't think how many songs Edge plays on a guitar is indicative of how much he likes the guitar itself; it probably has more to do with his desired sound for those songs.

Axver said:

Also, is he still using the plain black Strat? He used that and the Explorer primarily through to the UF Tour, but I don't recall when I last saw that black Strat.

He used it during Bad on the Elevation DVD, that's all I know.

His Favorite as said countless times is his Gib Explorer

Most Used : Les Paul Custom , aka the same of ......

Zooropa songs
Walk On
In A little while
Zoo Station

And so many others ......

Also theu2fly you are mistaken on something , the photo you posted is the old one Stratocaster Special Clapton Signature , which he gave for the Rn'R Hall of Fame . This Guitar was used on Fly and Desire on the ZOOTV

The guitar you listed the songs , is his old and news black/white Strats

LemonMelon said:

Ah, of course, I should've remembered that.

Anyone know if it has been used on Vertigo?

Axver said:

Ah, of course, I should've remembered that.

Anyone know if it has been used on Vertigo?
i'm not sure maybe when they played Bad? i haven't seen a video of it from this tour so i have no idea

ntalwar said:

The Chicago DVD has it on Streets and 40.

I thought he was using the black and white Strat for Streets? I wish I'd taken more notice at the concerts I saw, but I was too busy enjoying the music to notice anything apart from the Explorer (and I can't be bothered buying the Chicago DVD).

LemonMelon said:

I'm sorry but did you mean the 100% black strat , coz that's not what He's playin on Bad , he's playin his 70's B/W strat

J_NP said:

I'm sorry but did you mean the 100% black strat , coz that's not what He's playin on Bad , he's playin his 70's B/W strat

Is he? I'll have to get out the Boston DVD, I haven't played it in over a year.

By the way, what guitar has Edge been using for I Will Follow this tour? I don't think I've seen video of it from Vertigo. Is he still using the Explorer? I know he was at some 2004 promo dates ...

Since I got a free time , let's do some insights

This is the 2nd guitar , U2thefly , showed , which is the

Fender Stratocaster 89 Clapton Sign

PDVD_111.jpg

He played on Fly and Desire

This is from the Notre Dame DVD , during Bad

PDVD_004.jpg

His 70's Strat B/W

And finally his another 70 Strat , the all black one , which he returned on the Vert Tour

PDVD_005.jpg

Last edited:
Axver said:

By the way, what guitar has Edge been using for I Will Follow this tour? I don't think I've seen video of it from Vertigo. Is he still using the Explorer? I know he was at some 2004 promo dates ...

I had that video of 60 min I think , which has some seconds from I will follow Milan , too bad I lost it , so I couldn't come with a cap , but yes He's still with the Explorer , just go for pics of the European tour of Vertigo and u'll find it .

In Fact the only times Edge didn't use the Explorer for IWF , were the rare times of Zootv , and on Popmart

J_NP said:
And finally his another 70 Strat , the all black one , which he returned on the Vert Tour

PDVD_005.jpg

That's the black Strat I'm thinking of, the one he used heaps in the early days (like Gloria on UABRS). When did he last use it before Vertigo?

I love that guitar - I have a cheap copy of it. The Explorer's my favourite though.

Axver said:

That's the black Strat I'm thinking of, the one he used heaps in the early days (like Gloria on UABRS). When did he last use it before Vertigo?

im thinking the JT tour was the last before vertigo

J_NP said:

PDVD_005.jpg

Gorgeous guitar. :drool:

J_NP said:

Thanks for clueing me in. I was definitely thinking of the black w/ white pickguard strat. I have one that looks exactly like it! :) It's a 2004 American Standard Strat though...

One could argue that the 70 Strat has a more harmonic, vintage feel...

with this guitar, "Where The Streets Have No Name" sounds musically like the Joshua Tree tour.

The strat was the best sound for The Fly on ZooTV - I thought significantly better than Elevation or Vertigo versions.

The interview with him saying his favorite was Explorer is on YouTube, I believe.

He still uses it on Beautiful Day, I Will Follow, and Miracle Drug, right?

i thikn there was an irish interview where Edge actually said his favorite guitar was the Explorer....he was inside a guitar shop with Dallas and the interviewer
it wad done during the Elevation tour...sorry i freaking can't remember the name of that interview for the life of me =( but it was pretty cool. Edge also played his Favorite U2 Guitar Riff, which was obviously Where The Streets Have No Name

tuwie said:
i thikn there was an irish interview where Edge actually said his favorite guitar was the Explorer....he was inside a guitar shop with Dallas and the interviewer
it wad done during the Elevation tour...sorry i freaking can't remember the name of that interview for the life of me =( but it was pretty cool. Edge also played his Favorite U2 Guitar Riff, which was obviously Where The Streets Have No Name

That's the one. He also I believe said Pride is an example of a riff that needs the band behind it to make sense, and he played that too.

Then they asked which is his favorite and he said Explorer, and he listed the songs they were using it for. (there were four, can't remember exactly which ones)

It was in New York City.

^ YEAH!
beautiful day, i will follow, and i forget the other two....
i bet youtube has it somewhere in its vast cavernous memory...that's sadly being diffused with random teens lipsynching to popsongs in their room =/

I think ad be attached to the gibo Explorer too as someone i know (a non u2 fan) rekons as it is an original, its prob worth about £100 000.
Dunno how true that is tho.

Back
Top Bottom