Edges best solo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tough, but I'm totally biased towards 11 O'clock Tick Tock.

Does bullet the blue sky not even come into mind?

For me it's like a kneejerk reaction.

Last edited:
The Fly (Live) probably for me. I don't know how technical or difficult it is but I quite like it.

Maybe one of our many guitarists could give us a rundown on the difficulty of some of Edge's solos. That would be awesome!

timothius said:
The Fly (Live) probably for me. I don't know how technical or difficult it is but I quite like it.

Maybe one of our many guitarists could give us a rundown on the difficulty of some of Edge's solos. That would be awesome!
:yes:

timothius said:

That would be cool!

One thing I do know is the New Year's Day solo can't be that hard ... because I can play it!

as a guitarist, i'd say that Edge's hardest solos would be:

-Bullet (from ZooTV on -- that fast part at the end is tough)
-Until the End of the World (like most of Edge's stuff, it's hard to make it sound like Edge)
-The Fly (for some :wink: )
-Street Mission (it's so damn long)
-Desire (the shredding solo added to a couple Lovetown performances)
-One Tree Hill (again, Lovetown shows)

Yeah, bullet solo is the only one that is hard to hit every note. the hard parts about his solos are getting the right tones and making them sound like him (utterly impossible) . :sad:

timothius said:

Bullet ALA Zoo TV is very difficult...I can't play it exactly like Edge does for the life of me. Actually, it's not just the Zoo TV version that's difficult. Popmart and Elevation Bullet are both buggers to play as well. I've only heard one version of the song from this tour (trying so desperately to hold out until after September 12th :( ) and it seems a bit more tame. Some of the others, like UTEOTW and The Fly - while still technical - don't come anywhere near Bullet.

Bullet is by far the hardest.

The Fly is somewhat fast, but it's pretty simple. It's harder to memorize how to play it rather than actually playing it, it's a bit long.

I haven't tried Acrobat, sounds just like tremelo picking (really fast picking) but the notes don't change too quickly, doesn't seem hard.

My favorite is the one in Miracle Drug, it sounds out of this world, like Joe Satriani's "Flying in a Blue Dream" (Am I the only one here who's heard this?). Bullet live durring elevation was freakin awesome too :drool: I don't know if the Zoo TV one is better or not.

Things happen quick around here! Thanks for the insight guitarists.

VertigoGal spot on with Mysterious Ways too. Love Is Blindness also strikes me as a completely unnatural solo to play - I don't know how difficult that would be to get the same sort of heart - wrenching sound that Edge gets.

Out of the ones you listed, I'd have to go with With or Without You. Just because it's such a subtle solo, yet so beautiful.

But of all time, I have to say it's Bullet the Blue Sky (Zoo T.V.) version. Best. Solo. Ever.

Hmm...don't we already have a solo thread? :hmm:

Anyway, of the ones listed, I have to go with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (live versions.)

However, the solo in All I Want Is You is Edge's best solo ever. :heart:

Have to say that, yes Bullet from ZOOTV is certainly fast and accurate, but the BEST edge solo ever is Love is Blindness from ZOOTV.
It isn't fast, it isn't that difficult I guess, but it does what a solo should do - it takes the song and lifts it to another level. And man it does it well. At the end of that i have to exhale because I realise I'd been holding my breath.
And technically it uses a quintessential edge technique where he solos on 2 to 3 strings at once, strumming but managing to highlight the individual notes he chooses - a great technique for guitarists without a rhythm guitar backing them up. (another good example of this is on 'exit')

All is solos are very easy for any decent guitarist. After u successfully pull off Iron Maidens solos everything becomes simple :p. Bullet just sounds complicated because of the ton of effects piled on. His best solo for me would have to be 'The Fool,' from 1978. I think it's his most complex and awsome solo he's ever done. Street mission is also sweet too.

AussieU2fanman said:
His best solo for me would have to be 'The Fool,' from 1978. I think it's his most complex and awsome solo he's ever done. Street mission is also sweet too.

The trumpet solo in Red Light blows the rest of these out of the water.

kiwilad said:
Have to say that, yes Bullet from ZOOTV is certainly fast and accurate, but the BEST edge solo ever is Love is Blindness from ZOOTV.
It isn't fast, it isn't that difficult I guess, but it does what a solo should do - it takes the song and lifts it to another level. And man it does it well. At the end of that i have to exhale because I realise I'd been holding my breath.
And technically it uses a quintessential edge technique where he solos on 2 to 3 strings at once, strumming but managing to highlight the individual notes he chooses - a great technique for guitarists without a rhythm guitar backing them up. (another good example of this is on 'exit')
:yes:

Before I heard Love Is Blindness:drool: I didn't realise you could really convey emotion through a musical instrument. That solo has brought tears to my eyes on numerous occasions.

PopFly said:
I've never heard a couple of these ones. Street Mission? The Fool?

Pre-Boy recordings for which demos exist. They were even released as part of the Complete U2 on iTunes last year.

Back
Top Bottom