Edge vs David Gilmore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
who do you think is the better guitar player!!
i do like u2 more than pink floyd but David Gilmore is miles ahead when it comes to playing guitar!!

what do you think??

shaun vox said:
i do like u2 more than pink floyd but David Gilmore is miles ahead when it comes to playing guitar!!

what do you think??

Edge would be the first to admit that he's not a virtuoso. You can't even put Edge in the same league with Santana, Van Halen, Hendrix, Clapton, etc.

With the way Edge uses color, light, shading, texture, he compares more with Monet, Rembrandt and Da Vinci than any guitar player I've ever heard.

Yes, that sounds incredibly pretentious, but that's the way I hear The Edge. Listen to Love is Blindness or Walk to the Water. His guitar work is art—the brush strokes on a canvas. And it never, EVER betrays the bigger picture.

hmm not sure. I'm no expert on guitar but for me The Edge is the most unique, soulful guitar player in the world. He crates such beautiful soundscapes.
Maybe as an out an out guitarist Dave Gilmour could technically be better but in my opinion is a better all round musician.

I don't even like Pink Floyd, but Gilmour is a better guitarist. Edge however is also a master at his game and has done some guitar work that Gilmour and other great guitarists would be proud of.

shaun vox said:

what do you think??

Shaun vox, if you're going to praise David Gilmour, at least spell his name correctly. :( Comparing David Gilmour to The Edge is probably a little unfair on The Edge because he doesn't actually solo. Maybe if Edge cranked out something akin to Dogs, we could talk. I know which guitarist I personally prefer, though.

Edited to add this: to all of you who think of Gilmour as nothing more than a virtuoso, I think you've got the wrong guitarist. Gilmour does everything The Edge does, just with the added bonus of solos. Gilmour creates atmosphere just as well as The Edge, even better sometimes. Listen to something like "Marooned." The guitar is far from complicated in that one and he assisted with the backing synth. It's as beautiful as anything Edge did in The Unforgettable Fire. And Gilmour was playing Edge-like delay patterns before The Edge even knew what a delay pedal was. :wink: Listen to the last portion of 1971's "Echoes" after Gilmour's backwards wah part.

So yes, Gilmour isn't just good at solos. He's a brilliant, all around musician with a good voice to boot. A shame that he's rather useless with lyrics, but you can't have it all.

Last edited:
Dont rate gilmour as a solo artist at all , however he is a great guitar player.

[Pink Floyd In-Joke] Gilmour's work as a solo artist is pretty embarrassing. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason is probably his worst album as a solo artist yet. :wink: [/Pink Floyd In-Joke]

GibsonGirl said:
[Pink Floyd In-Joke] Gilmour's work as a solo artist is pretty embarrassing. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason is probably his worst album as a solo artist yet. :wink: [/Pink Floyd In-Joke]

:lol:

The Dogs of War :drool::wink:

GibsonGirl said:

A New Machine.

:barf:

Learning to Fly! :drool:

learntofly.jpg

Re: Re: Edge vs David Gilmore

It's an apples and oranges comparison. What works guitarwise in U2 would fail miserably in Pink Floyd, and vice versa. I see The Edge as the "post-it note" of guitar players - simple, yet innovative and brilliant at the same time.

In 1986, Edge said in an interview:
"I don't really see myself as a guitar player," says U2's Edge. "I'm more of a songwriter or composer. I'm looking for a new way to say things with a guitar."

I think he's succeeded in that regard, to put it mildly.

GibsonGirl said:

Comparing David Gilmour to The Edge is probably a little unfair on The Edge because he doesn't actually solo.

Just to clarify- he does do solos, but not elaborate ones.
(Funny sig. btw).

i cant even compare the two...two totally different guitarists to me.

On the local rock station here in DC they recently did the top 10 guitar gods of all time, and EDGE was on it. Gilmour wasn't on the list.....which should have gotten someone at the station arrested.

Atleast 'On the Turning Away' and 'Sorrow' don't suck :shrug:

A Momentary Lapse of Discernable Talent.

GibsonGirl said:

Shaun vox, if you're going to praise David Gilmour, at least spell his name correctly. :( Comparing David Gilmour to The Edge is probably a little unfair on The Edge because he doesn't actually solo. Maybe if Edge cranked out something akin to Dogs, we could talk. I know which guitarist I personally prefer, though.

Edited to add this: to all of you who think of Gilmour as nothing more than a virtuoso, I think you've got the wrong guitarist. Gilmour does everything The Edge does, just with the added bonus of solos. Gilmour creates atmosphere just as well as The Edge, even better sometimes. Listen to something like "Marooned." The guitar is far from complicated in that one and he assisted with the backing synth. It's as beautiful as anything Edge did in The Unforgettable Fire. And Gilmour was playing Edge-like delay patterns before The Edge even knew what a delay pedal was. :wink: Listen to the last portion of 1971's "Echoes" after Gilmour's backwards wah part.

So yes, Gilmour isn't just good at solos. He's a brilliant, all around musician with a good voice to boot. A shame that he's rather useless with lyrics, but you can't have it all.

:up: :up:

Re: Re: Re: Edge vs David Gilmore

ntalwar said:

Just to clarify- he does do solos, but not elaborate ones.
(Funny sig. btw).

Edge's solos - his recent ones, at least - sound like little more than glorified riffs to me. :shrug: They get longer and more varied live, however, I'll give him that.

And that sig (© Pla 2006! :drool: ) is funnier than you can imagine. :wink:

A Momentary Lapse Of Discernable Talent

I love Mr. The Edge (almost as much as he loves Urkel) and his work, but he hasn't stood on the top of a wall and belted out the solo for Comfortably Numb before.

Atleast I hope not, that might be dangerous.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I love Mr. The Edge (almost as much as he loves Urkel) and his work, but he hasn't stood on the top of a wall and belted out the solo for Comfortably Numb before.

Atleast I hope not, that might be dangerous.

WIPF650.jpg

Best moment of the live Wall show, aside from Roger Waters' nazi uniform and the giant floating pig. A roadie was entrusted with holding onto Gilmour's legs to make sure that he didn't fall off the wall. :lol:

Edge should have followed Bono up into the scaffolding in the early days.

Check on you tube for Pink Floyd at Earls Court in 1980 and there's lots of footage of The Wall.

4 weeks ago I wen't to see David Gilmour at the Armadillo in Glasgow and it's easily one of the best concerts of my life (and I've seen U2 15 times including the War, UF, JT, Zoo TV, Popmart & Vertigo tours)

The way they presented Echoes that night was outstanding. The way that they co-ordinated the music, the lights, strobes and lasers was the best I've ever seen.

Back to the point though - IMO David Gilmour is a better guitarist than The Edge.

BTW - Last year for my birthday I went to see U2 @ MSG which was the best birthday ever. However, this year (my 40th) it is Roger Waters at the Hollywood Bowl. I wonder if Rog will top it ??

LemonMacPhisto said:
are there any DVDs of a Wall show?

or just the cd-set?

I've got one from Earl's Court but it's unofficial and the quality is dreadful. :( It's rumoured that the official tapes of the concert footage Pink Floyd shot to be used in the Wall film (which never happened) are safely locked away under Roger Waters' bed. Or in a vault somewhere. Release it, damn it! :mad:

Still, it's a great show and it'll be worth it to track down the bootleg if you don't mind a bit of fuzzyness and poor audio mixing. One of the names it goes by is The Wall: Divided We Fall, but I believe there are other names Here's some caps I took a little while ago:

walldvd10.jpg
walldvd15.jpg

wallcap2.jpg
walldvd03.jpg

The shots from far away are pretty bad, but the close-ups look okay.

GibsonGirl said:

It's rumoured that the official tapes of the concert footage Pink Floyd shot to be used in the Wall film (which never happened) are safely locked away under Roger Waters' bed. Or in a vault somewhere. Release it, damn it!

I'll go nudge him on LJ.

PlaTheGreat said:

I'll go nudge him on LJ.

Thanks for the link, Boozyuzi. Gilmour and Wright did some great versions of Echoes on Gilmour's latest tour.

And I agree with your views on this topic. :wink:

shaun vox said:

what do you think??

Edge has a very wide style:

Streets/Pride sound
The Fly(Elevation Boston DVD) solo
Electric Co

Does the non-release of The Wall concert DVD have to do with the lawsuit?

I think it's part of the royalties dispute between Waters and the rest of the gang right?

LPU2 said:

Edge would be the first to admit that he's not a virtuoso. You can't even put Edge in the same league with Santana, Van Halen, Hendrix, Clapton, etc.

With the way Edge uses color, light, shading, texture, he compares more with Monet, Rembrandt and Da Vinci than any guitar player I've ever heard.

Yes, that sounds incredibly pretentious, but that's the way I hear The Edge. Listen to Love is Blindness or Walk to the Water. His guitar work is art—the brush strokes on a canvas. And it never, EVER betrays the bigger picture.

Can you really objectively say these things, since you don't know what Edge plays off the record? Realize he is in a rock band and everything he does is subject to the needs of the band and the overall goal of the song. That means endless solo's or more complex riffs that are not as good as what was used for the song are going to be tossed away and not even considered.

How about this, compare the work Edge has done over the past 10 years to what David has done. Based on that, who do you think is the "best"?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom