Edge talks the new album..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
U2log.com has a quote from Edge regarding the new album...

Q Magazine online quote from an interview with The Edge to appear in this month's magazine (on sale October 8). He says "We're on a roll. It's getting more like the early U2 records. Really simple, stripped-down arrangements." The band is quoted to be "hungry for music with life-force" and have recorded tunes recalling Bowie and The Who with "primitive riffs and abrasive garage band rawness".

Does this mean u2 returning to their early sound? What do you think?

Salome said:
it reminds me of the quotes leading up to ATYCLB

What I think is interesting is that after ATYCLB was released, Larry said that several tunes were left off the album in favour of what I think were more the mainstream (yet still great) songs. He said the harder-rocking ones would be left for the next record. Also interesting is that the lead off single off this record is supposedly Bullzoder (see 'New Abum News' post in Where the Album has No Name forum). Bulldozer was recorded during the ATYCLB sessions and was reportedly Larry's favorite song.

There's also a post in the comments section of U2log that says a source from the studio described the new songs as "War meets Achtung".

Therefore I really think we're going to see those 'harder rocking' songs this time 'round. And I think Edge's quote verifies this...

the question is "when are they going to release them"...as U2 goes..these songs could change in 6 months and the band could go a different direction...although I am excited about Edge's quote.

Someone at zootopia has the issue...

Here's what else it says...

Edge buries his head into a bulging slip case of CD-R's, and locates his favourite rough mix of Original Of The Species,a slinky pop song built around a primitive riff with shades of Bowie's Aladdin Sane.Bono is on his feet in an instant and monkey-stepping to the loping groove, singing away and proudly declaring, "This one's about Edge's daughter"

Then when the guitarist cues up another new track called All Because Of You, things gets physical.It's the rawest rock song U2 have ever recorded:the quartet recast as an abrasive garage band.
"Its the Who!" howls Bono.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Bono leans over to speak, "This is the one that I sang at my old man's funeral". Behind him Edge presses play on a work-in-progress mix of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.There's a second or two where the silence hangs heavy.Drummer Larry Mullen busy eating, raises his eyes up from his knife and fork - as if to lighten the emotional weight of his bandmates last statement- and bluntly adds, "This sound system's crap by the way".

Dorian Gray said:
Edge buries his head into a bulging slip case of CD-R's, and locates his favourite rough mix of Original Of The Species,a slinky pop song built around a primitive riff with shades of Bowie's Aladdin Sane.Bono is on his feet in an instant and monkey-stepping to the loping groove, singing away and proudly declaring, "This one's about Edge's daughter"

Then when the guitarist cues up another new track called All Because Of You, things gets physical.It's the rawest rock song U2 have ever recorded:the quartet recast as an abrasive garage band.
"Its the Who!" howls Bono.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Bono leans over to speak, "This is the one that I sang at my old man's funeral". Behind him Edge presses play on a work-in-progress mix of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.There's a second or two where the silence hangs heavy.Drummer Larry Mullen busy eating, raises his eyes up from his knife and fork - as if to lighten the emotional weight of his bandmates last statement- and bluntly adds, "This sound system's crap by the way".

[/B]

:shocked: Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own! I thought they never wanted to record that song! :shocked:

And a song about Edge's daughter! :cute: Which one? :shrug:

Hello,

Are there persons NOT getting exited by this news? I mean, we first have the second Best Of... (and an apparently great DVD) coming, but I can't wait to hear the songs they're talking about now.

I WANT A NEW ALBUM!

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Is someone writing down the tracks? You can add All Because Of You

Bulldozer
All Because of You
Original of the Species
Sometimes you Can't Make it on your Own

!!

Last edited:
See? It's not Origin of Species, it's Original of Species. But then, I knew I was right all along and nobody else really cares.

Bono is standing next to Ryan Adams at a Strokes show. Ryan takes a long drag off his cigarette and talk about learning "The Modern Age" on the mandolin. Bono nods silently, drinking in the scene. Hmmmph. He sees himself in Julian Casablancas. I could do better, the great man thinks. I have done better.

Later, alone in his New York City apartment, Bono recasts the great band in the mold of Bowie, the Who, their earlier selves, the Strokes and maybe just a small amount of Gwen Stefani. Ahhhhhh, the great man thinks, stepping out onto the balcony with a glass of his favorite whiskey. He surveys the city moodily, plowing a hand through the graying hair at his temples. Yes. We will knock their fucking socks off.

This is great news!!!!:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I saw you people reference "sometimes you can't make it on your own" as a song they didn't want to record? Is it an old song they've mentioned before? someone fill me in.:yes:

These song descriptions are sooo exciting!!:drool:

fantastic, this new album will blow everyone's mind and get U2 further back to a rock n roll band, even though I love ATYCLB, war meets Achtung, I could just burst from the seams... Hopefully Spring or early summer bc they have to let the Best Of sell for awhile.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I'm scared that I will set too high of an expectation for this album, then having those expectations not being met, and I will end up being let down.

I think they can still rock with the best of them though.

Whatever they give, whenever they give it, I'll be happy about it!

Right now, just trying to focus on the new Best-Of! :cute:

:yes: War meets Achtung...Wow, that WOULD be cool!

cd5.jpg
<------->
cd1.jpg

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

The demo I heard of All Because of You was SOOO fucking good. It was the best U2 song I've heard since Gone, but I really hope that they don't overanalyze and ultimately muddle it up with production. That, I think, is the most problematic possibility at this point.

I really think you have to take everything you hear from "sources" and "insiders" with a grain of salt, the internet is full of people who are apparently all inside sources, it's really quite amazing

what will the record sound like, who knows? it's not finished yet, is it.

The Wanderer said:
I really think you have to take everything you hear from "sources" and "insiders" with a grain of salt, the internet is full of people who are apparently all inside sources, it's really quite amazing

I'm not sure if this is in response to me, but I explained on this board my thoughts on "All Because of You" almost 5 months ago, when I heard the then-current version of it. It was terrifically good.

Last edited:
no, this is just in general, nothing against you, and regardless of whether you heard a new song or not, one demo doesn't indicate what an entire album will sound like

What was the song from the 60 Minutes- Bono special, where they are riding in his car and he pops the tape in?? I know some of you saw this, that song sounded awesome.

Thought i might contribute this list of songs that have been bounded around the internet as songs that the band are working on or have considered for the new album:

YESTERDAY AND TOMORROW
ORIGIN OF THE SPECIES
THE SUN, THE MOON AND THE STARS
JUBILEE (This one may have become Beautiful Day)
BULLDOZER
ALL BECAUSE OF YOU
LOVE AND PEACE (This may have become Peace on Earth)
STRANDED
SOMETIME
TOUGH (Like Sometimes You Can't..., also about Bono's Dad)
A MAN?S A MAN (Apparently on the Gangs of New York s.track)
SOMETIMES YOU CAN?T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN
ONE STEP CLOSER TO KNOWING (Apparently with contribution by Noel Gallagher)
YOU CAN?T GIVE YOUR HEART AWAY

I have also heard mentions of these songs from Pop era that never turned up (and probably never will), but i guess it's worth listing them:

HYMN TO THE UNIVERSE
IN COLD BLOOD
SUPER CITY MANIA
JESUS DROVE ME
INDIAN JAM
LANDSCAPE

As for titles of the new album, HANOVER QUAY is the only one that i've heard listed as a possibility.

Last edited:
Exciting :yes: .Yet I am not expecting any "greatness" or "rockness".Because when you expect from U2, you will get disappointed.

ignoreland said:

I'm not sure if this is in response to me, but I explained on this board my thoughts on "All Because of You" almost 5 months ago, when I heard the then-current version of it. It was terrifically good.

I dont suppose that you could describe it again for us... :D

Back
Top Bottom