Edge talks new album and tour at Grammys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
According to atu2:

The next album wont be a Zooropa type release, they want to take a year and a half to finish any new album.

They wont be touring the US until the new album is done.

The European tour is still a go for this summer.

Also, "Our spy also asked John Sampson about a visit to Australia in 2002, and he indicated the band would love to do it, but it was unlikely because of the financial aspects. "

------------------
And I felt like a star...

[This message has been edited by Dorian Gray (edited 03-01-2002).]

what the hell are we supposed to do until then, post shit(e) about how shit(e) creed is and maybe do a few more polls

I'am a bit surprised. I thought they would try to get a new album out before the tour this summer. My guess is that they were planning to and decided they needed more time or they never planned to get it out before the tour. I think my first inkling is probebly what happened.

So the Euro tour this summer is going to be a continuation of the Elevation tour and not in support of a new album. I hope they add some new songs they didnt play on the first 3 legs and/or change the arrangement of a few songs so there is something different. I doubdt I will make it to Europe (I'am working on it though) but it would be cool to have some bootlegs with some different tunes on them.

I dont know where you get new album in 2004?? He said a year to year and a half. Well they supposedly started working on this album a month or two ago. So a year to a year and half would probebly put it sometime in 2003. I'am sure they will continue to work on the album during the Euro tour this summer. Sounchecks for the Euro tour should be interesting. My guess is that they will work on some of the new material in soundcheck as well.

What should we do in the meantime??? If U2 releases an album in 2003 it will probebly be about 2 1/2 to 3 years since ATYCLB. That is actually a bit early for U2. Usually we have to wait around 3 1/2 to 4 years for a new studio album from the boys. We also have the Euro tour to talk about in the meantime. The setlist critics will be back then and I'am sure there will be more heated discussions about that. Also, U2 will be recording during this time frame so there will be lots of rumors about what it sounds like, more song titles, etc. Actually this kind of a time frame is one of the most exciting times to be on this board IMO.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-02-2002).]

There's also 'A Man's A Man' for Gangs of New York this summer...

So at least we'll have one new song.

------------------

I highly suspect the "Best Of: 1990-2000" will be released this coming holiday season. That will be 2 years since U2's last release and the perfect time to remind fans of U2, without bombarding them with a new album and tour. Yet, it will keep U2 on people's minds, remind them of the great 90's music (especially material from the beloved "Achtung Baby," which will be 11 years old this year!) and help keep people interested enough in U2 for a possible 2003 release.

Blargh!
mad.gif
Now when they come back here they won't have the heart. I wanted another Elevation leg!

What happened to all Bono's talk about making it right away and capitalizing on the 'energy' created from the Elevation tour?
That was a good idea!

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 03-02-2002).]

As much as I'd wish they had something coming out soon, in the court of public opinion it's probably best for them to just go away from America for a while and let things die down. It lead lead to greater anticipation when a new album is released, and it will limit the current "massification" of U2.

Originally posted by MSU2mike:
As much as I'd wish they had something coming out soon, in the court of public opinion it's probably best for them to just go away from America for a while and let things die down. It lead lead to greater anticipation when a new album is released, and it will limit the current "massification" of U2.

No offense to you personally Mike, but I am tired of hearing all of these spokespeople for public opinion telling us U2 needs to go away. They are not getting any younger, why not get the new album out at the end of the year or early next year if it is ready and right? Remember how short people's memories are nowadays, unless you are a boyband and put out one 10 million selling album per year. And that the "court of public opinion" predicted the boy band craze to be over anyway.

I'm actually in favor of them giving us a 'best of' by fall and a new album next summer with a fall tour next year. I just don't favor this for the reasons "court of public opinion" though.

Again, no offense directly aimed at you Mike.

Originally posted by madonna's child:
I'm glad they're going to take their time with the new album. I know I didn't want anything rushed.

I agree-- if they need to time to make another, say ACHTUNG BABY scale album....then so be it!

Tomorrow I'll be complaining-- bc I'm fookin' impatient....but it's for the better that they take their time.

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

?Naughty pop star? ~Bono
The Man Corral

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
blah, i can see now there won't be any new tunes until 2004

My thoughts exactly! Actually, I was thinking they wouldn't be back to the USA until 2004, but same thing. I mean, Bono is a member of U2. So you have to end at least 6 months to any prediction...

This bums me out. I had a feeling it would happen, but ... sigh. I really wanted a new album to come out soon. I know it's not what they tend to do, but a girl can hope. Well, perhaps I'll get to Europe this summer.

------------------
"Adam's in his world, lost to the music. You've probably never seen a happier person in your life."
~BP Fallon

"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
~Andrew Jackson

~~S&C~~

Originally posted by WildHonee:
I agree-- if they need to time to make another, say ACHTUNG BABY scale album....then so be it!

I would say that ATYCLB is an AB scale album

This thread depresses me.. I'll have to respond to it sometime when I'm not so depressed.

tongue.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I'm glad they're going to take their time with the new album. I know I didn't want anything rushed.

------------------
The Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year! :p

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

I agree that they should take their time, even if it means mass impatience on our parts. I know that my non-U2 friends and family are a bit tired of U2 this and U2 that. Superbowl, major grammys two years in a row...I love it but it is a bit much for some people I know.

So I'm glad they're going to go dream it all up again and take their time. The time delay will only make the new album that much sweeter for us hardcore fans.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

**cass goes off to find her Dark Side of the Moon CD. Track 5**
or maybe Johnny Diesel..."cry, cry ,cry, crying shame, got our lousy economy and the tyranny of distance to blame..."
well that's not exactly a quote, I made the last bit up
biggrin.gif

Great Gig in the Sky, that always cheers me up.

Good!

Cuz I'm poor to afford a new album, all of the friggin' singles, and the concert tickets.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

I think the year and a half starts now and I think 2003 is when it will come out, but time will tell. I even think there's a chance that The Edge is giving misleading comments. They have done it before....

Based on the OTHER comments about how much is already written for the album and that they have 8 demos recorded and they want to ride on the energy of the Elevation Tour, I think they will spend alot of time between when Bono gets back from Africa and before rehearsals for Elevation Tour working on and recording the new album. And they will record DURING the European Tour and in the Fall and take a break during the holidays and then in January 03 they will probably fine tune it and do final production stuff for a few months and release it in late Spring or Summer 2003.

Here's another thought: Anyone check Brian Eno and Danny Lanois' productuion schedule? Maybe the reason it is going to take a year and a half is because they are going to wait until Danny and Brian can spend some time producing.

personally I don't really get the "they should be taking their time to produce the new album" posts

they are rockstars - they make albums, tour and spend time with friends and family (okay, Bono has a few other hobbies
biggrin.gif
), so I don't see many reasons why there should be 3 years between albums

I don't think there ever was much evidence that spending another 18 months in a studio assures a better album (granted, Pop has shown us that not spending enough time in a studio can hurt an album a bit)

anyway, since I did get to see the band last year I feel Aussie dates or a new album should have higher priority then European dates this summer

about "probably best to stay out of the USA for a while" -- this doesn't mean a new album can't be released

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 03-03-2002).]

Sad news. I hoped they just banged another album out, no matter if it is perfect or not. At least another record! Cause when U2 say they?ll take the time it will take sheer decades till the new piece is finished in their eyes!

But as a european I?ll just wait for summer
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by U2LA:

Here's another thought: Anyone check Brian Eno and Danny Lanois' productuion schedule? Maybe the reason it is going to take a year and a half is because they are going to wait until Danny and Brian can spend some time producing.

Lanois has said it will be a few years before he goes back to producing. So he's pretty much outta the picture.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom